starting strength gym
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: A Jolly Fat Dude Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Holy Moly today sucked. I didn't even want to go work out in the first place, I wanted to nap but I forced myself to train. I did my best to utilize the Barbell Medicine power of positive thinking anti-nocebo thing, but today was just a grind, luckily it was back off day. Despite feeling like garbage on a plate the whole session I made all my lifts, which at the end of the day is the only important part.

Squats 3x5 315
    Notes: Unpleasant, after being too high on my 405 sets two days ago I think I overcompensated and went too slow. I'm glad I'm getting my form checked in a few weeks, I've totally psyched myself out on depth

Press 5x5 135
    Notes: similar to the bench a few days ago I backed off the weight 10% and worked on some form tweaks in advance of switching to intermediate. I used the bulldog grip which was nice. I also tried the Wolf press for the first 3 reps of each set which was great at first, but then difficult when I fatigued later on.

Deads 2x5 325
    Notes: Today I worked on hook grip. It hurts but I did better. Used it for all my warmups then 3 reps on the first work set and 2 reps on the second. I switched back to double overhand when my thumb started to bleed a bit. Embarrasingly I wasn't wearing my weight belt for these since they were "light" and somehow managed to snag my shirt on the way down and stretch it all out. It looks like a giant apron now.

Way to push through. And bonus points for the bloody thumb and stretched shirt!

Hi everyone,

It is with bittersweet feelings that I'm letting you all know that I'm calling time on my Novice Progression. It's been a great ride and I suspect that Reynolds and Hambrick would suggest I should stretch it out some more, and Dr's Baraki and Feigenbaum would say I should have ended it months ago, but here we are.

My main goal coming into SS was to join the 1,000lb club before my 40th birthday on August 23, and I'm proud to say I did that at New Year's, and I'm currently in the 1072.5 club!

Here's how things went since I started in mid-June

Squat 185 - 410
    Press 75 - 152.5
    Deads 235 - 425
    Bench 115 - 237.5

Waist 54"-50"
    Weight 345 - ??? I keep forgetting to buy AAA batteries, but I think I'm around 325

I'm pretty proud of it, and now onto the land of HLM, thanks everyone!

Todays workout:
    Squat 3x5 410
    Notes: Finally bought knee sleeves and they're awesome, they felt so good and I should have bought them months ago

Bench 3,5 @ 225 and 5@237.5
    Notes: These weren't good until I asked for a spot, then things went better

Deads 3 @425
    Notes: Hooked all my warmups to 405 then pulled my triple with straps, hook improved a lot since last time.

Wow, Kyle, that is excellent and inspiring work all around. Improvements by hundreds of pounds; weight loss and waist loss! Not to mention persevering when you really don't feel like it. After a while training just gathers its own momentum and you won't have much choice when it comes to training or not training. Congrats!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks codger, I appreciate the kind words and all your support, onwards and upwards!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415