starting strength gym

Thread: 1st day of the rest of my life -

Smile 1st day of the rest of my life -

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my simple training log.

I am a middle aged mom, working full time plus part time. I am also trying to build a business teaching knitting and possibly podcasting soon. (I want to replace my 2nd income).

I am married, and we have 3 kids. So we are busy with work, school, and kids activities, and volunteering at church. And if that is not enough, we enjoy RPG table top gaming as a family and try to play together 1 time a week.

As a true martyr mom I have neglected my fitness horribly.

We just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary. I want to be in much better shape and health by our 20th anniversary next August. I need to be strong and fit so I can better enjoy life with my kids and husband.

I also enjoy running. (I have done several 1/2 marathons 3 years ago). So I want to do a mixture of both. I also like Kettlebells so I might substitute some KB lifts in place of barbell here and there.

I plan on doing the SS program 3 days a week and then C25K program 2 or 3 days a week. With working 2 jobs I am going to need 2 days off of workouts for my sanity.

Tonight I did

Back Squat Press (Military Press?) Deadlift
    2x5 - 45lb 2x5 - 45lb 2x5 - 45lb
    1x5 - 30lb 1x5 -20lb 1x5 - 50lb
    1x3 - 50 lb 1x3 - 30lb 1x3 - 65lb
    1x2 - 65lb 1x2 - 40lb 1x2 - 80lb
    3x5 - 85lb 3x5 - 45 lb 1x5 - 95lb

I was able to finish all reps but I was pretty close to failure on my presses and squats. My back is really tight, but otherwise I am feeling great within a few hours of lifting.

Thank you for taking time to look.

Welcome. Remember, not all of your goals need to be fulfilled at once. Running and SS together, i.e., until you reach your Linear Progression limit, are NOT indicated. The running will hurt your strength gains during the first few months. Do you have the books? Have you consulted with a certified SS coach? I urge you to do both. You will be able to run better and still do strength training once you have finished you novice linear progression. You may never finish that if you try to keep running while you are doing your strength training.

Best wishes to you.

Welcome aboard, you seem to be a rather ambitious person. That's not a bad thing but in regards to strength training the recovery is what allows your body to adapt to the stress in lifting you induced. Please give recovery much consideration or you're likely to get stuck early in your efforts. (ask me how I know) Good luck in your efforts.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. Im very aware i need to recover but it is great to be reminded.
    When i say "run" 2- 3 days a week ... it will most of the time be short runs. My run pace is sloth slow.
    I work daytime at a desk all day and i need to do something to decompress and clear my head. Im fortunate to have access to a gym at work with a treadmill. But we also live 1 mile from work so i can run/jog home.
    I haven't read ss yet. But i have it ordered. I would live to find a ss coach in my area.
    But my husband was a cf coach and was a PTA. He is very familiar with ss and is helping me.
    Thank you again for the encouragement.
    Last edited by SimplyMeAngieD; 08-29-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Day 2 - Rest day. I am extremely sore from yesterday, which is a big indication how weak and unaccustomed to loads I am.

Spent break time and lunch time at work perusing the forums. I'm really appreciating everyone's posts and perspective.

Welcome!

Your motivation is inspiring. Taking care of yourself is important to be able to give your family the best (and keep up with the young'uns :-) )

A little bit of light running may or may not interfere with your lifting. It sounds like less that it's the running per se - just that you might not have enough time in the day to sleep and eat and run and lift AND take care of your family AND work two jobs. Jeez that's a lot. Are you human?

starting strength coach development program
    Lol....
    I guess it is alot. But i do it because it must be done. I admit i get really tired at times. Like tonight. We got home much later than normal.

I want to get stronger but Im not going to be as aggressive with increasing weight like how i understand the LP is supposed to increase.

No lifting tonight. But i have the squat rack in the garage ready to go for tomorrow.

Thank you for the welcome.