starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weak Former CrossFitter Attempts Strength Restitution

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/11/17 -

Weight: 223.5 | 30.3% BF | 2750 cals | 39%p, 39%c, 22%f

35:00 LISS on AirDyne at 50 RPM. A little slower than yesterday, so added a few extra minutes.

9/12/17 -

Weight: 224 | 30.8% BF | ~3700 | 39%p, 38%c, 23%f

Squat: 135lbs x 5 x 3 -- Wishing I was using sets across at the higher weights I was using pre-LP and pre-back strain. These started to feel about as close to normal as they've felt in a few months, so that was good.

Press: 115lbs x 5 x 3 -- These were pretty grind-y in reps 4 and 5 on the final two sets. I've uploaded those sets below to see if anyone has thoughts. I know I don't use the hip rock to start, and that's because it irritates my low back. I'm also seeing that I create a moment arm letting the bar dump forwards around my face.

Deads: 65 x 5 x 3 -- First time in about 4-5 weeks I've been able to hinge with a flat back. Really pleased I was able to get 65lbs. Hoping I can start bumping these to 15 or 20 pound jumps as soon as I get healtier.

Chins: 10 singles with 1:30 rest between first 5, and 2:00 rest between final 5. This is progress too because in my last session I couldn't get 10 straight; I weaved in a few negatives if i missed a rep

Press sets:

9/14/17 -

~3700cals: 41%c | 39%p | 20%f

Squat: 145x5x3. Best I've felt since I hurt my back. I can't wait to see if I can keep these jumps consistent, maybe sneak in a 15 or a 20 pound jump once I'm healthy again.

Bench: 165x5x3. Reread the bench chapter before today's session and that helped a lot. Realized I was carrying the bar in my palm instead of the heel of my palm. Fixed this time and 165 moved better than 160 last time k benched.

Dead: 105x5x1. First time in 3 months I've been able to deadlift more than 65lbs. Back felt great throughout. Really need to remember the cue of chest up.

Chins: 10 singles with 1:45 rest between. Rest still to short to get the singles, so spaced a few out.

Overall best session I've had on LP, and best since I hurt my back. Best part, no belt on anything today. Pumped.

9/16/17

Weight: 226 (+2lbs) | 31% BF | 3700c | 40%p, 40%c, 20%

Squat: 155. Done beltless for second session on a row. No back pain. Felt more groves than last time. Hoping this means the back strain is nearly healed.

Press: 120. Took cues from the technique thread and those helped a ton. Getting thoracic extension is really hard for me without my elbows moving posteriorly in the set up. May be time to go down to 2.5lb jumps.

Deads: 115. Felt ok. Worked a little more warm up volume to acclimate my low back now that I can lift a back with technique. I felt good enough that I'm thinking about going up to 20lb jumps. This is still 40% of what I'd normally do for fahves, so if I feegood after 2 days of rest I'll see wht 135 feels like.

9/17/17

Weight: 226 | 31.1% BF

30:00 AirDyne 58RPM avg. 325cal.

Not too pumped to see body fat go up, but I'll try to ignore it. I'm still DTP with sleep, and this feels like a reflection of my increasing calories to 3700 on training days.

If this continues through the next week I'll drop fat slightly and will drop carbs on non training days.

9/18/17

Weight: 227 | BF 31% | 3100cals (40c, 35p, 25f)

Squat: 165x5x3. Continue progress and didn't use a belt today. Back felt stiff at the bottom, but healing great so far. Best I've felt in a while. If I can continue 10lb jumps, I should be around my previous working weights by the end of next week.

Bench: 170x5x3. Bench at this weight felt easier than 165 last week. I think my technique is a little cleaner. Or it could be the power of the LP. Either would make me happy.

Deadlift. 185x5 with a belt. Biggest win thus far. I was doing the bar 2 weeks ago when my back was hurt. To be here is very encouraging. Need to not get greedy with this however. Don't do anymore 70lb jumps.....

Chins: 10 singles with 2:00 rest between. Then did 5 negatives immediately after final single. These felt harder than last week, probably because I'm heavier than last week? But, this is also the first time I got all 10 clean. Took a 3:00 rest on the final rep cuz the 9th was a grinder.

Forgot to post yesterday’s training...

9/21/17

Weight: 225 | BF 31% | 2900cals (39c, 38, 23f)

Squat: 175x5x3. Back injury is still there but I’ve made great progress. These were done beltless and felt great. Cues for next time are to focus on knees out, and stay in the heels. I know we’re aiming for mid foot balance, but I’m finding myself on my toes too much. The heels cue helps me get hip drahve.

Press: 125x5x3. This was huge from a mental standpoint. 115 last week was a grind, but after posting the technique check videos and listening to the B.B. Logic podcast where they talked about their wives pressing 130 no problem, there was no way I was missing this. So I got tighter than I’d ever been, used a belt and got it down. 4:00 rest between first 2 sets, and a 5:00 fest before the final set. Hoping to hit 130lbs before i have to switch to 2.5lb jumps.

Deadlift: 205x5. This was a good lift. Back felt strong, no hip pain or cramping. I was very encouraged. I’ll take another 20lb jump for tomorrow’s five, and then back it down to 10s most likely. I’d love for the squat to be 20lb jumps, but slow and steady wins the race.

Chins: 5 reps for 3 sets with the orange band. 3:00 rest between sets. This band Strength was a little too easy for this much rest. I’m thinkig of doing my 15 singles with 2:00 rest on my A training days and 3 sets of 5 chins with a band on my B days. For the B day training with bands, I’ll have to use a lighter band soon.

9/24/17

Squat: 185x5x3 Starting to get slower, but still going beltless, and that’s a big improvement considering 3 weeks ago I was in too much pain to walk from a back injury. Rested 4:00 before final set.

Bench: 175x5x3. This too was still doable, but I need to get tighter. Was getting slow around rep 4 each set. Rested 4:00 before final set.

Deads: 225x5. This is definitely the limit for my low back. It was really hard to keep my upper-back straight throughout. I think this the right weight to go to 10lb jumps for now and progress through. And I did this beltless as well.

Chins: orange band on D ring for three sets of fahve. Perfect tension to progress to. Will try to either add a couple reps or shorten rest each session. Hopefully gain enough strength to drop down to a lighter band hooked through the chin up bar.

9/26/17

Weight: 227 | BF 31.7% | 2900cals | 36p 36c 28f

Recomp note: been slowly walking my calories down, but I’m still gaining weight. My sleep hasn’t been that great because I’ve got 2 kids under 2. Also, my wife says I snore often, it mildly. Maybe I’ve got mild sleep apnea? Whatever the cause, my weight and BF% keeps going up when I don’t need to gain anymore weight.

Squat: 195x5x3. Felt great today. Didn’t need the belt, but last couple reps on each of the last two sets were slow and grindy. I think I can keep the 10lb jump still and either lengthen the rest to 5:00 next time, or slap on the belt and rest between 3:00-4:00.

Press: 130x5x3. Incredibly happy with this. First set without belt, last two with. Rested about 5:00-6:00 between. Last couple reps of last couple sets were slooooooooooow. Not sure if I should drop to 2.5lb jumps now or wait until o fail.

Deads: 245x5. Used a belt and they were better than 225 on Saturday. Back feeling better and can handle the volume. The last two reps bordered on rounding back territory. So ima back the jumps down to 10 next time. Slow and steady.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andkristopher View Post
    9/26/17

Weight: 227 | BF 31.7% | 2900cals | 36p 36c 28f

Recomp note: been slowly walking my calories down, but I’m still gaining weight. My sleep hasn’t been that great because I’ve got 2 kids under 2. Also, my wife says I snore often, it mildly. Maybe I’ve got mild sleep apnea? Whatever the cause, my weight and BF% keeps going up when I don’t need to gain anymore weight.

Squat: 195x5x3. Felt great today. Didn’t need the belt, but last couple reps on each of the last two sets were slow and grindy. I think I can keep the 10lb jump still and either lengthen the rest to 5:00 next time, or slap on the belt and rest between 3:00-4:00.

Press: 130x5x3. Incredibly happy with this. First set without belt, last two with. Rested about 5:00-6:00 between. Last couple reps of last couple sets were slooooooooooow. Not sure if I should drop to 2.5lb jumps now or wait until o fail.

Deads: 245x5. Used a belt and they were better than 225 on Saturday. Back feeling better and can handle the volume. The last two reps bordered on rounding back territory. So ima back the jumps down to 10 next time. Slow and steady.
    Oh and most importantly, I’ve got a nice case of golfer’s elbow now. Greaaaaaaat. Skipped chins. Hanging from the bar lit me up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast