starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weak Former CrossFitter Attempts Strength Restitution

Default Weak Former CrossFitter Attempts Strength Restitution

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Started CrossFit 3 years ago and fell in love with the barbell. After the GainzZz stopped, it felt like adult daycare where I could play with my friends and fitness toys. Loved the GPP, but hated being "unstrong."

My goals are to suppress the desire for visible abs and prioritize the equally strong desire to actually get strong. For context, just 6 months ago, I thought the pinnacle of any strength I could ever achieve in my lifetime would 315 back squat single.

I originally purchased the SS book in 2011, at which point I immediately joined the "YNDTP" camp trying to fancy my way through with pointless accessories, confusion, poor recovery, and spending my training time mirror gazing.

After I blew out my ankle went through two subsequent surgeries, I forgot about the barbell. I rediscovered it through crossfit, but being unable to pull more than 325 after 3 years was frustrating the hell out of me.

So, I started following the Barbell Medicine guys, lurked their Insta Live Q&A's, reread the book, read "To Be A Beast," rewatched Rips videos, and now after returning from a little back tweak, I'm ready for the LP - the right way this time.

32 yo male, 6'1", a fluffy 230lbs, 31.5% body fat.

Current 1 RMs:
    High bar back squat: 280
    Bench: 205
    Dead: 325
    Power Clean: 185

Training Day 1, 090617-
    Squat: 3x5 @ 115
    Press: 3x5 @ 110
    Dead: 1x5 @ 65lbs
    Chins: 1 chin every 60-90 seconds until 10 reps achieved

- NOTES:

---Strained SI joint 3 weeks ago. Chiro ruled out a disc injury, but the whole experience felt like a joke. My hope is that by doing the LP with 10lb jumps on the squat and the pull, my LP will map appropriately for my healing timeline.

--- I've always been terrible at chins - like, my whole life. To get 10 singles after three weeks of not being able to bend over and tie my own shoes made me feel like Superman.

Welcome Andkristopher. I hope that you truly get what you seek out of your LP. I just started my LP recently and I don't have a workout partner or coach at the moment. My hope is that a few of us starting around the same time can get to know one another a little bit and form some camaraderie. I'll check in with you from time to time.

Later,
    Nick

Thanks Nick. I'm getting really excited about the idea of doing this the right way this time. And it'd be cool to keep those in the "same cohort" on the line.

Just finished a 3 month LP after getting CrossFat strong. It works great in that context. I pretty much let my conditioning go entirely, gained almost 30# bodyweight, and am just getting back to it after getting much, much stronger than I would have in years of CF.

Good Luck!

That's good to hear Itchy. It's pretty clear SS is the most effective way to get strong, and my goal is to be strong for life. I'll eventually get back to CF because it's fun and I enjoy GPP. I'm not trying to be competitive, but GPP will be more effective (I think) if I'm generally strong.

But, as someone who's already a fluffy 230, adding 30lbs sounds a little scary if only in the name of getting fluffier. Gotta fight the urge to fight the fat (at least for a little bit).

Although, seeing videos in the technique section of people squatting 275 for 5 after a few months of LP seems crazy to me. I could barely do 275 high bar for a single a couple months ago.

I'll still do some AirDyne LISS in the mornings here and there, and maybe a low-volume/low-weight MetCon just for funsies as well.
    Last edited by Andkristopher; 09-07-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typos

Welcome. Curiosity demands that I inquire why you do high bar squat instead of low bar as prescribed? Do you have an injury? Just for clarification I at 70 I never could do low bar. I use a safety bar. I know low bar is ideal.

If you're already fluffy you don't need to gain 30lbs of fat to get strong.
    Eat sufficient calories, keep your LP going, and you may find you lean out. (Even if your actual weight doesn't decrease.)

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Curiosity demands that I inquire why you do high bar squat instead of low bar as prescribed? Do you have an injury? Just for clarification I at 70 I never could do low bar. I use a safety bar. I know low bar is ideal.
    Oh I'm definitely doing low bar for the LP, and will be my default squat going forward. I merely included my most recent CF 1RM as a means for comparison. It still seems like a distant possibility that I could one day do that weight for sets across within the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    If you're already fluffy you don't need to gain 30lbs of fat to get strong.
    Eat sufficient calories, keep your LP going, and you may find you lean out. (Even if your actual weight doesn't decrease.)
    Thanks Hector. That would be the ideal scenario. In Jordan's To Be a Beast article I'm nearly identical to the 3rd use case he outlines. I'm aiming for 3700cal on training days and 2500 on rest days. I also am doing 30 minutes of LISS 2-3x/week.

9/9/17

Squat: 125x3x5
    Bench: 160x3x5
    Dead: 45x3x5
    Chins: 10 singles with about 90s rest between

Low back still not fully recovered so backed off on deads. I took two days after my last trainjng day, and I'll take another two after this one to keep the healing going. 30 mins of LISS on tap tomorrow and Monday.
    Last edited by Andkristopher; 09-09-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typo

starting strength coach development program
    9/10/17

LISS:
    AirDyne 30:00 at 55-60 RPM

This was just enough to make me a little breathless, aka slightly above conversational pace.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast