starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dalton's SSNLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I remember being a novice and struggling with mid-200s deadlifts while my squat continued to increase. As frustrating as it was at the time, it's even more frustrating to see it happen to someone else. At some point you need to stop worrying about having perfect form and just pull some heavy weights. My deadlift continues to be a struggle, but I ended up pulling over 600 conventional. I want you to do that too.
    Come on man... I don't believe your Deadlift was ever that weak.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I remember being a novice and struggling with mid-200s deadlifts while my squat continued to increase. As frustrating as it was at the time, it's even more frustrating to see it happen to someone else. At some point you need to stop worrying about having perfect form and just pull some heavy weights. My deadlift continues to be a struggle, but I ended up pulling over 600 conventional. I want you to do that too.
    It is frustrating. . .but frustrating because the weight isn't even difficult. However, this workout I think I've figured out how to keep better form so maybe my coach will let me start throwing some weight on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Come on man... I don't believe your Deadlift was ever that weak.
    11-18-17
    Squat: 375x5; 355x5,3 ; 315x5
    Bench: 202.5x5; 192.5x5,5,3,5
    Deadlift: 255x5 ; 230x5

Squat form got back on track. Missed back-off set was a result of coming forward but I'm not really surprised that I missed since I only had 6 minutes of rest in between. Top set was starting to grind (less than 3 seconds of grind though). Got the work in. Bench had a similar issue with form but I hit the last back-off set after fixing issues. I video'd the deadlift and sent to my coach. I am hoping that she green lights me to start being more aggressive with adding weight to the bar.

11-20-17
    Squat: 300x5x2
    Press: 160x5 ; 152x5,5,4 ; 135x5
    Deadlift: 210x3x4

Squats felt great form wise. Insanely easy as to be expected of a light day, but definite form improvement. Press was pretty tough. Might have been a single workout late to switching to back-offs to avoid any missed reps but missing the last rep isn't a big deal. Probably didn't need to do the extra 135 set but I felt good so I did it anyways. Deadlifts were really easy but I think I let my form get a bit sloppy.

Great job dude! Very motivational.. Question, any prior training to starting strength?

I dicked around in high school some but nothing resembling structured training. Never really squatted a lot of weight. Never stayed at it for more than a month at a time. I ran starting strength before up to a 225 squat prior to starting this round of it. I was also a club rugby player in college and got something from that I am sure. I had never squatted more than 225 prior to this, though, or stayed on a program for anything more than 2 months.

11-22-17
    Squat: 380x5; 360x5,0
    Bench: 205x5; 195x5,2,0
    Deadlift: 260x0 235x0 *wouldn't budge, might have given up

Bad workout.

Hey man, just checking up on some of your logs. Sounds like you're making some excellent progress. Hopefully the deadlift issues can get corrected and it's nothing too serious.
    Have you considered deadlifting every other workout? I don't know much about programming but I was under the impression that phase two of LP adds in cleans or rows when deads start to suffer. Maybe giving the deadlift a break every other workout will help you recover from it. Just a thought.
    Keep up the great work. Getting close to 4 plates on the squat!

Thanks for the kind words. The deadlift is just a bit of a bear for me, but there aren't any major issues. I am coached by a Starting Strength Seminar staff member who does all of my programming so deadlifting every other workout is her decision. I don't exactly deadlift heavy and it isn't the massive systemic stress that heavy deadlifts are as a result of me being bad at them. I believe she thinks the additional exposure to the lift is helpful. Essentially I'm still in phase 1 of deadlifts based on the amount of strength I have, I just have issues with my back rounding. The deadlift is only at all challenging because of the squat weight.

Four plates was the goal for a top set of 5. My coach has changed me to triples on the squat for now though since I'm clearly having issues recovering from them.

Maybe you should try pulling sumo.

starting strength coach development program
    11-25-17
    Squat: 380x3; 360x3,3,1
    Press: 162.5x2,3 ; 155x3,3,0
    Deadlift: 210x4x3

Another bad workout. Obviously not recovered

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast