starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doug's Log

Default Doug's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was doing some other program prior to SS for about 6 weeks so my initial lifts aren't recorded here. Officially started DTP on Aug 7. For diet, I am aiming for 2670cal per day with 250g protein. I will post some history here and pick up live updates as they happen when I return from vacation.

8/7/17 - BW 326.5lb
    SQ: 195x5x3 - felt great, could have done more.
    OHP: 95x5x3 - bar starts slowing at sticking point on 2nd rep of first set
    DL: 275x3x1 - tried a 30lb jump because small plates were too rare. Need to go back down and work up.

8/9/17 - BW 327.7
    SQ: 205x5x3 - kept forgetting and remembering different parts of form. Starting to feel some jelly in the thighs at the end of a set. may not be going deep enough.
    BP: 155x5x3 - bar speed slowing down and some form breaking. bar path all over the place. This was my best bp (set of 10) in high school!
    DL: 255x5 - starting to feel heavy. grip slipping on rep 4 and 5. quite winded when finished. Don't think the bar is in contact with the leg as it comes up or down. may need to go down to get the form correct.

8/11/17 - BW 323.8
    "videoing everything for the first time. Boss treated us to Chinese buffet for winning an award from our customer, so I have extra fuel (carbs and fat) from a 1.5kCal lunch.
    SQ: 215x5x3 - felt nicely Heavy, like a good blanket. noticed that I'm having an issue getting below parallel from the video. Maybe I'm too fat? God I hate being fat.
    OHP: 100x5x3 - like a dumbass I did not load the bar correctly and left a 2.5lb plate off on the left side. Did that set over. the work sets were not that tough... just a little grinding on the end.
    DL: 255x5 - Ok, that was kinda heavy. hook grip and still losing grip. time for chalk? last rep form sucked, didn't lock out b/c of the lost grip.
    will look at all the videos again later"

8/14/17 - BW 325.6
    First workout with a belt. will wear on heavy warm-up and workset
    SQ: 225x5x3 - finally felt some form problems after reading SS3E. almost fell forward, so that means the knees are going forward and the bar not moving straight. felt like depth was mostly better. weight did not feel too heavy to lift, just a bit troublesome to balance.
    BP: 160x5x3 - weight was a lot. some soreness in left biceps after 1st worker, but finished all sets. some form breakdown on last rep of set 2 and 3.
    DL: 275x3 - app says 275, but I'm not sure I can grip that. will try it anyway. warmups felt good. weight did not feel too heavy for the body, but I can't do it. bar is halfway out of my hands by the end of the 2nd rep. straps? help!

8/16/17 - BW 325.6
    SQ: 235x5x3 - concentrated on getting knees out. weight feels good. starting to slow on the lift, but it feels good. had some lateral balance issues on last set.
    OHP: 105x5x2 - left elbow hurting on 2nd set. maybe lowering bar too fast? need to watch a video on grip width and breathing. Did not finish the 3rd set.
    DL: 275x3 - grip failed on 3rd rep again. hurting left elbow didn't help. not really locking out on any of the work reps.

8/18/17 - BW 323.2
    SQ: 245x5x3 - Weight continues to feel heavy but manageable. Left Elbow has a lot of pain. missed depth on a rep of 2nd set so did an extra. man that 6th one came up slow.
    BP: 160x5x3 - elbow was killing me from the squat by the time warmups were done, so I reduced the jump to 5lbs. 1st rep of each work set was very painful on the way down, but I pushed through, although I'm sure technique suffered.
    DL: 275x5 - Chucked the hook grip and did all 5 reps. very happy to continue to progress and not have to reset.

8/21/17 - BW 321.9
    SQ: 255x5x3 - little to no elbow pain! could feel form needs to be better, but was concentrated so much on the grip it makes sense. weight feels good and if it's not below parallel it's close. a good grip is pinky off the end of the knurl.
    OHP: 105x5x3 - found myself not needing all that rest. last rep was a struggle to get up, but I did it.
    DL: 285x5 grip is becoming my enemy. failing grip is preventing full lockouts. last rep tore my calluses off. already bought chalk on amazon.

8/23/17 - BW 321.4
    SQ: 1st set good. bad form 2nd set, and got some elbow pain. need to do well on 3rd. 3rd: better, but not great. missed depth on at least 1 rep. elbow is meh.
    BP: elbow started really hurting on 3rd WU. let's see how this works. close your eyes pain on 1st rep. 4th didn't hurt as much. elbows all over the place on the push. weight would not be that hard but for the elbow. gonna try a 3rd set b/c I'm stubborn. 165 was my all time highest bp in HS.
    DL: 4 reps. body strength outpacing grip.

HARVEY
    Last edited by dhurstell; 10-03-2017 at 09:47 AM.

9/4/17 - BW 320.4
    First workout after Harvey. Still at 24 hour.
    SQ: 275x5x3 - 275 felt nice and heavy, but good... until the last set. almost wrecked falling forward. I think, but probably failed, to get the form under control for the last 2 reps, but wow was that last one hard to get up. starting to get that ringing in the ear when hitting the bottom of the squat.
    OHP: 110x5x3 - feels good. WU may be shooting the bar up too fast
    DL: 295x5 - Chalk helped the hook grip. 3rd rep was terrible and I almost fell forward.
    two reps in two different exercises had balance issues with the load away from center foot.
    --maybe De-Load to 85% or so for a week to improve some form?

9/6/17 - BW 319.9
    SQ: 285x5x3 - videoed first work set. really feeling the bp spike and drop now... interesting sensation. 2nd set bar was rolling up my neck. really fighting the bad MA there on the way up. 3rd set was bad. fell back 1 step on 1st rep and overcorect to fall 1step forward on 2nd rep. almost fell over on the way down in the 3rd rep but got control, got it up, and controlled the last two reps.... very slow coming up. I'll keep going with 10 lb jumps until I miss a rep tho.
    BP: 170x5x3 - small amount of tenderness in left elbow that I did not detect during squats, but showed up during bp WU. here goes! through 2 sets I feel like 170 isn't easy, but I could do more if I had to. elbow is throbbing now tho. really feel that pre workout drink. terrible first rep on 3rd set, elbow almost gave out and bar landed on my chest. controlled last 3 reps and the bar went down and up 5 times.
    DL: 305x5 - broke 300lbs! wow what a difference the chalk makes to the hook. grip was not a problem. really looking forward to changing gyms and using round plates.

9/8/17 - BW 322.4
    SQ: 235x5x3 - mushy upper back mess. deloaded and did a bun chicken of xtra sets with the bar to try to get the upper thoracic correct, and failed. SHOVE THE ASS BACK! bit of elbow pain in both arms.
    OHP: 115x5x3 - probably time to go to 2.5lb jumps. had to take 2 steps back on 3rd rep to control bar in lockout.
    PD: 195x5x2 - first day of pulldowns, too fat for chins. 2x5@195. only 2 reps touched the chest. try 180 next week

9/11/17 - BW 315
    SQ: I think squat was somewhat better
    BP: elbow pain from the squat still shows up at the bench. failed last rep of 3rd set.
    DL: big boy 3rd plate now. wow does chalk help with the grip."

9/13/17 - BW 315.9
    SQ: 255x5x3 - couple of chatty cathys at the squat rack. finished with no problem other than less that good form. Elbow throbbing after 2nd set.
    OHP: 117.5x5x3 - failed 1st rep of 2nd set. Reset and completed both remaining sets. First workout using microplates.
    PD: 180x5x3 - need to figure out how to add smaller jumps than 15lb

9/15/17 - BW 315.9
    SQ: 265x5x3 - Came off balance on a rep in the first set, and had some knee wobble, but the elbow doesn't hurt tonight
    BP: 175x3x5 - some elbow pain. last rep was very slow and offline... but it got up.
    DL: 325x3 - got 3 reps. grip was off, and after resetting it after the 3rd rep, I just couldn't hold it.

9/18/17 - BW 317.2
    SQ: 275x5x3
    OHP: 120x5x3
    DL: 325x5

9/20/17 - BW 316
    SQ: 285x5x3
    BP: 180x5x3
    PD: 180x5x2, 195x5 - touching chest on every rep.

9/22/17 - BW 316
    SQ: 295x5x3 - Dropped the weight forward and had to escape on rep #1. reset and got my 5x3. I'm pretty proud of that. VERY EXHAUSTED.
    OHP: 125x5x3 -
    DL: 335x0 - Got it 1 inch off the ground and couldnt do more. Looks like I need to eat more. Gonna rest and try one more time. Reset and moved it to the top of the shin and failed. Exhausted.

San Diego Vacation Week

10/2/17 - BW 318.4
    First workout in new gym at Saltwater Fitness after Vacation. Working on a 24hr fast.
    SQ: 295x5x3
    OHP: 125x5x3
    DL: 325x5 - matched all previous PRs, and everything was pretty easy. Looking forward to the next training session.
    Last edited by dhurstell; 10-03-2017 at 09:48 AM.

10/4/17 - BW 315.6
    SQ: 315x5x3 - Soooo, they have a 55lb bar on the squat rack at my new gym. I did not know that until I was finished with my 2nd work set. Accidental 20lb PR. Yay?
    BP: 185x5, 185x3Q, 185x4F - Ok, I have decided I suck at bench press. First of all, I was completely bodily exhausted from that accidental PR on the squat. Arms felt like jello even before I laid on the bench to warm up. Completed the first set with some wobbly elbows. 2nd set I quit at 3 and did not expect I could have gotten another rep... and then remembered to set the safety pins on the new bench before beginning the 3rd set. That is how I got that 4th rep, still completely failed on the 5th.
    PD: 180x10x3 - Will look to make the jump to 195 next session. This is not fulfilling and I feel I really need to re-examine the rows or possibly RDL.

Workouts are taking a very long time too, almost 2 hours for this.

What is your age and what is your height?

M41 / 5'10"

Have you tried using reverse grip for DL? It's good that you are getting your weight under control. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the encouragement! Really did not eat very much this week, and particularly today I onlybhad about 440cal all day prior to an evening workout.

10/6/17 - BW 315.7
    SQ: 320x5,4,5 - failed last rep of 2nd set and had to get out. Here YouTube is a video of the first set. Wife doesn't know the rules for videoing yet.
    OHP: 130x5x3 - bar would go up very slowly, and I'm learning to grind it out, but it went up.
    DL: 330x3 - Big disappointment. Just didnt have enough in the tank to hit the last two reps. If i dont get more agressive on the DL, the squat will pass it.

It's hard to Try losing weight and getting stronger, I know I need to eat more.

starting strength coach development program
    10/9/17 - BW 313.9

Ok, something very bad happened prior to this workout, and I have no idea what it was... and it is leaving me a little scared. I missed some reps at my PR weights the last two workouts, so Monday was supposed to be a day where I was making a 2nd attempt at these weights. Coming off a weekend where I slept and ate a lot.

SQ: 320x1, 290x1 - Attempted 320 again, and unlike Friday when it was just hard, Monday I completely failed on the 2nd rep of the first set. I could barely go down into the hole. Rest and Reset and tried again. Failed completely on the attempt. So I rested again, and lowered the weight 10% thinking surely I could at least complete some work sets, but failed those as well. Ok, called it a done day. On to the bench!
    BP: 185x5,5,4 - After the first two sets, I wouldn't have thought I was going to miss a rep in the last set, even though I was grinding a bit on the last rep of the 2nd set. Anyhow I ended up with the bar on the safety pins cussing up a storm.
    PD: 195x10,10,8 - Failed b/c I couldnt get the full ROM and touch the chest with the reps on the 3rd set.

Help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast