starting strength gym

Thread: Pappys Linear Progression

Default Pappys Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Current stats:
    Bodyweight 165. SQ 185 (resetting to 170 to fix form). DL 195. OHP 80. BP 155. Row 115.

Goals:
    Learn perfect form.
    Maintain mobility / no injuries
    SQ 315, DL 405. BodyWeight 200, Lean mass 185.
    Learn to power clean & other Olympic lifts
    Find a sport/activity for old guys, where I can apply big strength.

Questions/Issues:
    -hitting depth
    -back angle
    -stance width
    -shoulder soreness. Tendinitis / impingement?
    -taking out carpet
    -finding shoes

SQ
    DL
    OHP

Books: Read SS. Thinking of Barbell Prescription next, but still have lots to master in SS.
    Last edited by PappyVanWinkle; 10-07-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Welcome. This helps you to keep track of your gains and it encourages every other lifter on the forum. Good to see you here.

Thanks!!

Back to basics. today’s an off day so I went down to empty bar. Used a prop to sit on and focused on sitting hips back and not bending knees forward. Start of this vid is terrible but by the end it’s feeling good. Feels much better and I am seeing how the forward knee bend is jamming weight into my knee. Bending back further will get the weight into my hips. It still feels weird and off balance to go way far back. At this point I am questioning if I should keep up with my LP at 185 or completely reset, down to 135 or even just 95.
    Empty bar depth 2 - YouTube
    Last edited by PappyVanWinkle; 10-07-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Lifted with my buddy today at his gym and got some great pointers. Started with wall squats to help get butt back and knees out, then worked with a box to make sure hitting depth. Worked at 170, felt good and had gas in the tank so I did a final set at 180.

No knee pain or strain at all. I do feel tightness / pinching in the front crease of my hips. Usually 1 hip at a time, and typically it’s my left hip. I’ve had it for a while so I am going to do some research.

Also got some great pointers on the bench, basically powerlifting form instead of bodybuilding. Moving weight off my shoulders and alleviating stress / impingement on the shoulder.

Working sets: SQ 170, BP 155, Row 125

YouTube

Back in the saddle after a 2 week break. Quarter end at work means a lot of time at the desk and not under the bar. Used the 2 weeks to take the carpet out of my basement though.
    Lifted with my buddies again this weekend and it went terribly. Form is shit. Not hitting depth. Not hitting depth.
    Ultimately I’m blaming the shoes here. Adidias Sambas just do not give me support and stability to go low. I am always fighting the feeling that I’m falling backwards. So today I lifted in Onaksuga Tigers and did great. Looked around online and ordered some Nike Romaleos also.

Had no problem hitting depth today. Knee slide is a small concern but I am feeling no knee pain at least. My knees feel like they’re supposed to feel.
    Now the problems have shifted into my hips and lower back. I know the problem is breathing and unstable back extension. In my prior form I got away with a looser back because my body was so upright to keep from falling backwards.
    Working sets were 155. Knees were feeling so good today I pushed it to 3 reps of 185 x 1 set. That’s when I felt the back hurt.
    I noticed that I am now opening knees first and hips second, instead of pushing hips up first. I think breathing, and tight back should help, as well as focusing on “butt up” cue to start the push.

YouTube

Back in the saddle after a 2 week break. Quarter end at work means a lot of time at the desk and not under the bar. Used the 2 weeks to take the carpet out of my basement though.
    Lifted with my buddies again this weekend and it went terribly. Form is shit. Not hitting depth. Not hitting depth.
    Ultimately I’m blaming the shoes here. Adidias Sambas just do not give me support and stability to go low. I am always fighting the feeling that I’m falling backwards. So today I lifted in Onaksuga Tigers and did great. Looked around online and ordered some Nike Romaleos also.

Had no problem hitting depth today. Knee slide is a small concern but I am feeling no knee pain at least. My knees feel like they’re supposed to feel.
    Now the problems have shifted into my hips and lower back. I know the problem is breathing and unstable back extension. In my prior form I got away with a looser back because my body was so upright to keep from falling backwards.
    Working sets were 155. Knees were feeling so good today I pushed it to 3 reps of 185 x 1 set. That’s when I felt the back hurt.
    I noticed that I am now opening knees first and hips second, instead of pushing hips up first. I think breathing, and tight back should help, as well as focusing on “butt up” cue to start the push.

Hmmm I cut that clip way to short. Will try to do another one when I’ve got some time.

Glad to see you here. Are you planning on doing LP and posting your training sessions here?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, that is my intent. The past month has been a host of form, setup/equipment, and time issues; so I have paused and reset the LP. I’m just getting to a place where my form feels good, my equipment is set up right, my job is not crazy, and hopefully I can get back to making gains.