• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good to see you were able to get the.training in despite.the.injury

Default Week 21-1 Heavy rehab

Monday 2/19/18 Week 21-1

Weight 150.

Saturday training.:
    Squat –90X5X4 Rehab
    Wanted to do 10 reps but the leg complained.

Monday Training:
    Squat – 100X10X3

Bench Press – 122X4, 3, 4
    This is aggravating. I’m toying with the idea of just programming a rep progression since that seems to be what I end up doing.

Close Grip Bench – 75X8X4
    Looking forward to getting the close grip version above my press weight in the hope that it will help advance the press quicker.

Chins – Body weight X5, 4, 4, 4, 3 = 20

Tonnage = 10,108
    I included my bodyweight on chins in the tonnage since that is what I’m pulling off the ground.

Default Week 21-2 Light Rehab

Wednesday 2/21/18 Week 21-2

Weight 150.8

Squat – 110X10, 120X10, 130X6
    Rehab of the Quad is progressing. Started to get a little real pain on the last set so cut it short. I hope to make it to 145# on Friday.

Press – 78X4X1
    This is aggravating. I set the hooks at the top of the uprights and tried to do pin presses. I utterly failed at 78#. I backed off to 75# since that was last session’s lift. I still couldn’t get it all the way up. The right side made it half way, but the left didn’t budge. The only way I have been getting any pressing done has been on the back of shoulder muscle acceleration and push on the right triceps. Not sure what to do to get some strength into my left arm.

Dead Lift – 235X5X1, 240X3X2
    I think I could have done 245# for 2 3’s, but the right quad was starting to notice the load, so I’ll wait for next session. I am close to being back to the planned progression level.

Incline Bench – 45X8X3
    Not sure if I need more incline bench or one arm dumbbell presses to get my left arm up.

Curls – 40X12X3
    These are supposed to be helping move my chins up. I’ll see what happens when I get up to body weight on the bar.

Tonnage = 8668#

Default Week 21-3 Medium

Friday 2/23/18 Week 21-3

Weight 151.2

Squat – 130X10, 140X10, 150X5
    Rehab of the Quad is progressing.

Bench Press – 124X3X3

Barbell Row – 115X8X3
    I reread ‘The Book’ on the BB Row. It seems I have been programming it wrong – reps should really be in the 8-10 range. So I did 8 today. My hamstrings are complaining. They’ll just have to suck it up.

Close Grip Bench – 75X10X3

Tonnage = 9576#

Default Week 22-1 Heavy

Monday 2/26/18 Week 22-1

Weight 151.2

The rehab of my right Quad is coming along fine, so I returned to trying to figure out this HLM programming.

I looked at the ever popular Bridge program, but I don’t like programs that rely on guessing how hard it is. It’s kinda like when you break something and go the the ER and they ask you to rate your pain. How many more reps could you have done? Well hell, I don’t know because I didn’t try. Sometimes it feels like I ain’t got it but really do, and there’s times when you think it’s going to go easy and you tear up your quad. So I bought a copy of Andy Baker’s Garage Gym Warrior program. It’s pretty cool. I think that the increases are a bit much for an old fart, but I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

The squat target that I chose ended up making the first workout of the GGW about the same intensity as I was going to do on my rehab cycle, so I went ahead and started GGW today.

RepsXSets
    :

Squat – 168X6X4
    No serious pain. The nervous system complained about too many reps and the additional set, but it’ll get used to it.

Bench Press – 88X6X3

Dead Lift – 168X6X3
    This is a lot lighter than I have done before but it really taxed my grip. I had to resort to a mixed grip for the last 2 reps of the last set.

Curls – 45X8X3
    I am hoping that the bicep work will help my T-rex arms do a few more chins.

Tonnage = 9720#
    Volume - 84

Good luck with the GGW program. Since I read about the quad/knee pop incident I was wondering if you use knee sleeves when squatting.

Hi Jerry, I see that you are dealing with your hamstring. Things don't come as easy at our age. I don't use knee sleeves. My shoulder girdle is a mess, but the legs have always worked well. The strain was weird in that it happened when the lift was sub-maximal and feeling OK. It turned out to be less of a problem than I anticipated. I attribute that to dumping the weight on the safeties immediately and getting the weight off of it. My triceps educated me on not grinding out the rest of the rep when you're in pain. My rendition of the Star rehab seems to be working. On Monday I did 168X6X4 with the same amount of soreness in both quads. Today, light day, I did 144X6X2, 2 second paused squats and they felt nice. I hope you do as well. I may have to look into the sleeves if I have more problems.

Default Week 22-2 GGW Light Day

Wednesday 2/28/18 Week 22-2 Light Day GGW

Weight 151.4

Squat – 144X6X2
    Paused squats – 2 second hold.

Press –56X6X4
    I think I actually did some 2.0 presses. Hopefully the deload and increased volume of the GGW program will get some press progress.

Barbell Row – 115X8X4
    I got all of the reps this time

Tonnage = 6752#
    Volume – 68 reps

Default Week 22-3 Medium GGW

Friday 3/2/18 Week 22-3 Medium Day GGW

Weight 151.2 18%BF 33.5” Waist. I think I need to cut back on the donuts.

Squat – 156X6X2

Bench Press –101X6X4

Dead Lift – 203X6X1

Tonnage = 9470#
    Volume – 68 reps

I had gotten to the point on my NLP that I dreaded training sessions. The weight was terribly heavy and I was tired and achy. The start of this GGW cycle is a 20% de-load from where I was. I feel great and am looking forward to getting under the bar. I’m sure the intensity will get back up there in a few weeks, but I’ll be rested and ready to tackle more iron on the bar. I will probably suffer some detraining with this much of a de-load, but it will come back.

Default Week 23-1 Heavy

starting strength coach development program
    Monday 3/5/18 Week 23-1 Heavy Day GGW

Weight 151.0

Squat – 192X1X1
    Re-injured my right quad. Crap!!! It sounded like pulling apart industrial strength Velcro. This is worse than last month’s adventure.

Bench Press –109X4X4

Dead Lift – 203X4X3
    I was again able to DL even though it is killing me to stand up out of a chair.

CG Bench – 87X8X3
    I added this in to get some calories burnt since my squat failed.

Curl – 45X8X4
    Scheduled assistance exercise to push my Chins.

Tonnage = 7540#
    Volume – 77 reps

I got in to see the doctor in the afternoon. She thinks it is muscle rather than connective tissue, but an MRI is needed for better opinion. Due to the usual insanity from the insurance industry, I can’t get an MRI until an X-ray is inconclusive, and I need to wait 2 days to make sure it really is injured before I can get the X-ray. Stupid health care system we have in this country. So I am doing steroids and pain meds for the next 2 days to see if it magically goes away.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast