starting strength gym
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Master in Central Florida Novice log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    At 5'10" and 143 pounds (I gather you don't mean kg.) you need to eat and eat some more.
    Now where have I heard that before? Just for as long as I can remember. I have always been skinny. Its not because I don't eat. When I was younger I had a journeyman card in the glutton society. Barffets would tremble in fear when my brothers and I came in the door. I had a 28 inch waist when I graduated school and didn't make it over 32 until mid 30's. Of course I started packing on the pounds after 40 and got up to 178 or so in my 50's. But it was all hanging off my belly and I had diabetes, high blood pressure, rapid heart rhythm, astronomical triglycerides, acid reflux, and fatty liver disease. Getting back down to being skinny has made my body starting working right again and I no longer owe my soul to the drug companies. The attractive promise of The Barbell Prescription is that I can lift weights and gain muscle without blowing out my body fat percentage. It is going to be an exciting journey. You have inspired me to up my protein another 10 grams and increase my calorie intake by 15%. If my blood glucose and blood pressure stay within target, I will up my carbs some more in a week. I'd like to get up to 165 or so while keeping the fat percentage about 17.

Keep up the determination and good work. I suspect things will work out well. I suspect that Rip would answer with more force. Don't get discouraged.

Default Week 3 session 2 Beginning Novice B

I killed my left arm on the press last workout. Pain where the rear delt meets the triceps. I think those are the right terms. Anyway, it is much better and I am hoping that I will be able to do the press again by Friday. I did the bench today without a problem. Both the squat and the dead lift were heavy, but I was in no danger of failing. I think I can get a few more sessions of 5# on everything except presses before I need to move to the regular novice program.

I am looking forward to doing some chins in the hope that they will improve my grip. My only real problem today was holding onto the bar on the last dead lift rep. I normally hold for a few seconds before dropping the bar, but today I had to get it down fast on the last rep because it was slipping out of my hands. I will try the over/under grip next session. I’d rather not go to something like straps so soon. It is purely a forearm issue and nothing to do with the posterior chain on the lift.

I have been counting calories and I am dumbfounded. I am surprised that I have been able to lift on the 1200 calories the Weight Watcher program was allotting me. While the various calculators generate a variety of calorie numbers, I think I should be able to handle 2000 a day. My fitbit claims I burn 2200 to 2500 a day, but its algorithm for making that assertion is highly suspect. If I had been really burning 2200 calories on a 1200 calorie input for the last several months, I’d be in the hospital.

Yesterday (Tuesday) : Cardio Treadmill 57min. 125 Average Hr

Today: 68 yrs. 142# with 15.5%BF. Do I believe that BF? Sorta.
    74 minutes with an average heart rate of 126

Squat – 115X5X3
    Bench – 85X5X3
    Dead Lift – 190X5X1

Nice log.How did you manage to go from 69yo to 68.I am soon to be 68 myself and would like to get back to 65.

I'm in that special area where I'm less than 30 days to 69... so I get confused sometimes and say the wrong number. Its sorta like when the year changes and you put last year's date on things for a few weeks. Now going back would be okay if it wasn't further than 59 1/2 'cause I really like my retired status. Do you have a log? I'd like to follow a few old farts.

Was just kidding about the age thing, I make some mistakes here myself. I do have a log in the General Training Section,PapaJerrysLog.Being retired is on of the perks of getting older, but I too seem to have gotten an inch shorter. Good luck with your training.

Oh I know you were kidding, Jerry. I do have you beat on the shrinkage scale since I'm down 2 inches already. Maybe us old farts should avoid the overhead press so we don't smush us any faster, eh. I'll check your log out later today.

Default Going Up

My left arm is still tender, but I did make it through the press. Bench is Monday and I go off for vacation for 10 days after that… plenty of healing time. Seeing friends and family is great, but the weather sucks. I grew up in the Northwest, but I am a confirmed warm blooded Floridian now.

I have managed to gain nearly 2 pounds this week, most all lean muscle according to my my so called smart scale. I tried weighing myself before, then after my morning shower. I lost 1% body fat getting the sweat off. Actual weight stayed the same. Average blood glucose and blood pressure are hanging in there.

Cardio on Thursday was 64 minutes on the treadmill with a 121 average heart rate and 422 calories burned.

This morning:
    Squat 120X5X3
    Press 67.5X5X3
    Dead Lift 195X5X1

74 minutes, 133 average heart rate, 529 supposed calories burned, 8148# workout volume, 24308# week volume.

Up, Up, and AWAY

Did I read that right? You are eating 1200 calories a day and are on Weight Watchers. Why? You need to gain weight not lose it.

Default Gonna be leavin' on a jet plane

starting strength coach development program
    Last training before vacation. The wife and I will be heading off to the other coast (Seattle area) to visit with friends and family for 10 days. I doubt that I will find any barbells in the hotel exercise rooms, but I'll try to get something done. On return I will try repeating today's training and hope I won't have to deload because of the lay off.

Cardio Saturday was 73 minutes pushing a lawn mower – average heart rate of 127 and burned 502 calories. Cardio for last week was 192 minutes of aerobics and 227 minutes during strength training. Sunday was rest day, pizza and a beer day, nap on the front porch day.

145 pounds today with 16.2%BF.

Squat 125X5X3
    Bench 90X5X3
    Dead Lift 200X5X1
    Squat and Bench were heavy but nowhere near limit. I was tempted to do a +10 today, but resisted and stayed with the planned progression. Dead Lift was near the edge. The app suggested I add chins. I will do that on the B day after I get back and start up.

I shot a video of the squat outside the cage so so I could do it from the back. I may post it to the 'Technique' forum to get an opinion. It's hard to tell if the bar is high, low, or in between since I can't see it.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast