starting strength gym

Thread: JWRogers Starting Strength training log

Default JWRogers Starting Strength training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy everyone,

I started the SS method at the beginning of this year around February, but really got going around March when I had the technique down well enough to start adding decent weights. I'm 24 years old and weighed in at 66kg this morning (~146 lbs.).

I'm not doing the program perfectly; my consistency is bad, I don't eat enough, yada yada. However I don't do other exercises and I add weight to my lifts every time I train (at least for now). I do better when keeping a training log though so here goes.

My 3x5s for each lift as of today are as follows

Squat: 80kg
    Bench: 60kg
    OHP: 30kg
    DL: 95kg
    Cleans 8x3: 30kg (just introduced these so my form still needs work)

Some problems that if your reading this, maybe you have a solution? I'm an English teacher in Korea so this presents some problems on occasion, but I usually manage. At my gym, there is a lack of smaller weight for the bar. The smallest plates are 2.5kg. I've tried to find 1kg plates to bring to the gym, but haven't found anything but dumbell weights so far and Amazon is a pain in the ass to order from here. Lastly a gallon of milk (which isn't sold, you have to buy in units of 1.8 liters or a little less than half a gallon) costs about $8-10 all said and done so it's not really feasible to spend so much money on milk. If anyone has some easy solution to this to help me pack on the pounds I'm all ears.

Edit: added OHP 3x5 lift
    Last edited by jwrogers; 10-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Welcome. What is your height? Do you have access to Whey protein as a supplement to milk?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. What is your height? Do you have access to Whey protein as a supplement to milk?
    I'm at 67kg as of this morning. Yes I'm supplementing Whey if I don't get my 1.1 grams per day in. Actually recently I just decided to make the investment for two months and get the milk to try and put some weight on. Also started Creatine daily.

Default 10/20/2017

Realized this training log is going to be good for the public humiliation factor. I somehow managed to fuck up the workouts so that bench and DLs were on the same day instead of OHP and DLs. Going to reset on Monday but here were the lifts for 10/20.

Squat 3x5, 80kg - felt good, going to attempt the jump to 85kg next session
    Bench 3x5 55kg - felt unstable at the top, need to work on bar path and controlled descent
    DL 3x5 100kg - big milestone for me, was really nervous as I've never lifted anything with two plates before. I'll do one more session at 100kg to work out the kinks and then hopefully move to 105.

Weight is now ~67.5kg in the mornings.

Realizing I need some review on form and such. Going back to rewatch Art of Manliness videos to make sure I'm square on everything.

Default 10/23/2017

Tonight felt good. I went up 5kg on squat and took a video for critique. Bench felt good and more stable than previously, so I think the weight gain is helping. Only problem was I couldn't use the squat rack after my bench so I had to do chins instead of power clean. Grip strength really got worked today on bench and in the chins. My forearms were on fire afterward. I weighed in at 68.7kg this morning. I'm not at a gallon of milk per day yet, but I've been drinking between 2.5-2.8 liters the past 5 days and the scale's going up.

Squat 3x5, 85kg
    Bench 3x5, 60kg
    Chins 3x5 bodyweight

Default 10/25/2017

Today I felt really bad. My form seemed off a bit on squat and was terrible on DLs.

Squat 3x5, 85kg
    OHP 3x5, 35kg
    DL 1x3, 100kg; had a really tough time with these for some reason.

I was pretty stressed this day which I think was the reason I had a hard time. I've been eating 4000+ calories everyday. The only other possibility is that I haven't been sleeping enough, but I'm close to 8 hours per night.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrogers View Post
    I'm at 67kg as of this morning. Yes I'm supplementing Whey if I don't get my 1.1 grams per day in. Actually recently I just decided to make the investment for two months and get the milk to try and put some weight on. Also started Creatine daily.
    Notice that the question was for your height, i.e. How tall are you? :-)