starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As I said, this was a bad week and nutrition was also off. Got an average of about 200 protein, 250 carbs and 90g fat. 32g fibre. Weight now sitting solidly at 11.5kg.

I've got a mega busy fortnight, so am considering dieting back down to 110kg and then continuing from there. I set 110kg as a weight target back when I was 120kg, and worked really hard to get there. So I'm disappointed I've let it go just after I met it (but in hindsight I had cut too much water etc when I hit 110kg)

Quick update. I've been focusing on getting weight back below 110kg as a priority. It was a symbolic level I worked hard for and I'm not prepared to give it up. Will return to LP when I'm back under 110kg.

Currently weigh 110.5kg and squatted 80kg x5x3 on Friday - so nearly there!

But when goal is achieved I need to slowly titrate calories up so weight stays constant, not repeat my mistake last time where my weight shot back up to 112kg.

Sunday 26th November: bodyweight = 109.9kg.

Will start lifting again tomorrow and keep weight under 110kg

Hey John, my unsolicited advice is to keep doing LP as written. Read the article "To Be a Beast" at barbell medicine. Stopping your LP to focus on weightloss is counter productive.
    I've had a lot of ups and downs, rebounds, etc with my weight but I've definitely managed to gain a lot of strength while losing a lot of body fat, even when not doing SSLP. It just takes discipline. Currently I'm trying to do LP while also trying to slightly reduce weight on the scale. Once all my lifts stall, I'm going to focus on dropping my BF to a healthy percentage, keeping as much LBM as possible and then run out LP again if it's possible from the position of having a healthier BF percentage.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StrongJohn View Post
    Sunday 26th November: bodyweight = 109.9kg.

Will start lifting again tomorrow and keep weight under 110kg
    Echoing JT, you're really going to sabotage yourself with this mentality. If you psychologically can't get above 110kg, I'd suggest getting down to 107 or less before continuing the program.

I'd highly recommend not caring about an arbitrary number instead and following the advice in To Be a Beast. Start with the calorie/macro recommendation for the fluffy novice and see what happens to your weight after a few weeks. Don't count the first week like you're doing. If between the period of 1 week and 3 weeks later you gain some weight (doubt it will be more than a lb or 2), decrease calories and try again.

When I started this program I was 194 lbs. 2 weeks later, the scale said 200. Then 202. I freaked out and ate 800 less calories -- the scale said 194 the next day. I stalled out the next day, and ended up having to reset almost every lift a month into the program having not gained any real weight. My arbitrary number was 200 -- having just gotten myself down from a high of 225 lbs through starvation and cardio.

The program calls for a lot of high quality carbs and therefore fiber. You're also making your muscles beg for nutrients. As a result you become far better at storing water weight almost overnight. You also need to eat way more food then when not doing the program -- which results in a bunch of extra weight during the day you're not used to.

Once you're strong and squatting heavy losing weight will be far easier than you're used to. At least that's what I keep telling myself -- and I suggest continually reminding yourself of that too. It's impossible to do this program without enough food.

JT and FredM - thanks very much for your advice.

It’s a New Year and my first day back at work tomorrow. I’m going to restart LP then in my work gym, and as you recommend will be focusing on weight on the barbell rather weight on than the scales.

I’m in pretty much the same situation as the fluffy novice in to be a beast so will aim for those macros

Cheers both

Wednesday 3rd Jan @109.5kg bodyweight

Squat: 60kgx5x3
    Press: 35kgx5x3
    Pull: 80kgx5x1

Friday 5th January @109.4kg body weight:

Squat: 65kgx5x3
    Bench: 25kg DBs x8x3
    Pull: 85kgx5x1

Friday 12th January @108.5kg bodyweight

Squat 70kgx5x3
    Press 37.5kgx5x3
    Deadlift 90kgx5

I've had terrible flu for the last week. Bad news: I missed two workouts. Good news: I also lost nearly a kg as too sick to eat much.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday 16th January @108.7kg bodyweight:

Squat 75kgx5x3
    Bench 27.5kg DBs x8x3
    Deadlift 95kgx5

Still warming up on bench and all the lifts quite easy as I ease back in. Conscious I'm NDTP but DB bench is best I can manage in my gym without taking over both the squat rack and flat bench...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast