Thread: The Feebler Log V2.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Welcome. What is a "semi-sumo stance"?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. What is a "semi-sumo stance"?
    Thanks, Carson.

A Semi-sumo stance is a very narrow sumo stance - legs just outside arms. I've also seen it referred to as a "modified" or "modified sumo" stance. In a conventional stance, I can achieve and maintain thoracic extension only without shoes, and only with a DOH grip. Switching to a hook or mixed grip (or wearing lifting shoes) requires me to bend over just a hair more, and I can no longer get into good extension. I found that my back angle is not drastically different with a semi-sumo stance than in a conventional stance, but it allows me to get into good extension and maintain it. I'm sure that some will think that I just need to learn to get into, and maintain extension in a conventional stance, but that's perhaps a discussion for another time. I'm more interested in getting stronger than following the SS model to the letter - although I certainly value the model and the reasoning behind it.

Whenever someone works with sumo instead of conventional I do not assume to know what the advantages or disadvantages are. I've never even tried any variation of the sumo lift. However, I do know a coach who worked for sometime trying to move from sumo to conventional. It may be worthwhile to you to contact Karl Schudt from Chicago.

I am open to the idea that my anthropometry will allow me to pull conventional without any rounding (I'm also slightly kyphotic, to muddy the waters a bit) and perhaps at some point I will try again. I've done a lot of reading, and a lot of experimentation, and I'm happy with the semi-sumo stance right now. However, I appreciate the suggestion to contact Karl, and I will keep that in mind.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a few adult beverages, and preparing to throw 5 pounds of beef on the grill. Slainte!

Thanks for your kind words on my thread concerning the video. Keep up the good work.

2017-11-14

Weight: 207

Squat 45x5, 105x5, 135x5, 195x3, 235x5,5,5
    Bench 95x5, 135x3, 155x1, 182.5x5,5,5
    Dead BWx3,3,3

Aside from some water retention that came and went, my weight's been holding at 207 for a few weeks. With my bodyfat%, I'm not so sure that adding more calories is the answer. May be time to start looking at the fats/carbs and recovery more closely. Going to start implementing a light day on squats starting Thursday.

starting strength coach development program
    2017-11-16

Weight: 207

Squat 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 210x5, 185x5
    Press 45x5, 95x5, 115x1, 135x5,3,1
    Dead Nope.

Not a great session. Was pretty beat after a stressful day at work, but I forced myself to train. Accidentally did a squat set at 90% of Tuesday's weight before realizing that it should have been at 80%. Filmed my press (first set) for first time in quite awhile, and noticed my elbows are flaring out quite a bit. Pull them in for the subsequent sets and couldn't complete all 5 reps. Didn't have the deads in me after that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12