starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pdubya3 (and son) journey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Did you submit your squat videos to SS coaches to review? If so what did they say? To my totally untrained eye, looks pretty upright and the bar could be lower on your shoulders. But as I said my eye is untrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayo77 View Post
    Did you submit your squat videos to SS coaches to review? If so what did they say? To my totally untrained eye, looks pretty upright and the bar could be lower on your shoulders. But as I said my eye is untrained.
    I have not posted them yet to the coaches for review, but plan to do so soon. I'm going to watch some of the form videos and work on my bar placement. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by pdubya3; 11-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Ok, I definitely didn't have the bar in the correct placement. I THOUGHT I did, but after watching some videos and some more pictures as directed, it was clear I was close, but just not there. I'm also trying to clean up the grip portion and wrist placement. Here is a before and after of bar placement:

S - 155x5x3
    P - 65x5x3
    D - 180x5x1
    Chins - BW 5,5,4

This was first workout since trying to clean up the squat, mainly the proper bar placement. I was also trying to focus on driving up with the butt/hip instead of chest. Overall, felt really good and looking forward for continual progression.

My son came home from basketball practice and I was still working out. He wanted to do some and we continued to work on squat form and bench form for a few very light sets. It was fun.

Last edited by pdubya3; 11-07-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Off day for me, but my son asked to do some more.

We did Bench with the 20lb 1" bar we have. Did a couple sets with just bar and then I let him go with 30x5 and then 40x3 to see if his form went off. Actually did pretty well and controlled it.

Then worked on Overhead Press form. Same thing, just the 20lb bar for a couple sets of 5, then let him go to 25x5 and 30x3 once again for form check. Needs to work on the form for the press still a bit more, but overall pretty solid.

Last was a couple sets of DL for form. 1" bar elevated with the squat rack supports, empty barx5 then a set of 40x5. Needs to keep bar closer to legs on full movement and work on his return down, but he seemed to be working hard on keeping good form.

Still keeps wanting me to add more weight, but I told him he has to earn it with good form, then he can add more. Overall was fun.

Wanted to add some notes about diet...

I'm trying to eat more as my appetite seems to be consistently hungry. Prior to starting SS, I was probably around 1700-1900 cals a day and guesstimating 70-80g protein. I feel like 185 is a good weight for me, but I definitely want to shed some upperbody softness and build those muscles up.

I've also made an effort to reduce alcohol, especially beer.

S - 165x5x3
    B - 115x5x3
    PC - 100X3X3

Squat continues to go up steady at 10lbs increments, still focusing on form, driving from the hips. Playing with trying to hold breath for full workset.

Bench went really well too, even after making a 15lb jump from last workout. I used the visual techniques that Rip teaches and that really helped focus on making consistent movement with the bar. My ceiling in basement is black, so I ended up putting 3 1" strips of patterned duct tape up on ceiling. I taught my son this and he figured it out really quick and could tell his bar path was consistent. I think I am gooing to jump again another 15lb next bench workout.

Power Cleans were first introduced. I really enjoyed doing them. The 10lbs bumper plates had just arrived earlier that day and really came in handy.

My son had basketball practice cancelled and he wanted to lift some weights. I let him weight in minor increments as long as his form and control was good. Overall, he did a really good job. We weren't doing any official tracking of sets and weights. He did appropriate warm up sets and then some working sets.

Squat - 70x5x3
    Bench - 38x5x3
    DL - 65x3x2

We live in the Chicago area and I did some searching for local SS coaches. I wanted to try to setup a session or two to evaluate form and have as a resource going forward. It actually worked out that we would be attending a baseball hitting lesson pretty close to where the SSC lives and he does meet clients at his home gym setup. So, we will head over and work with him for 90 minutes. Will follow up after. Looking forward to it!

starting strength coach development program
    One more item of note. I finally replaced the batteries in the scale we had at the house. I hopped on last night after we got back from dinner. I was pretty surprised when it read 196. I know I used to weigh myself in the mornings and we just had a pretty big dinner, but I didn't think I would be over 188-190. I know my weight pretty well based on visual and how clothes fit. None of my clothes seemed to have felt tight in the last week or so. So, I suppose I have put on weight, but not much in waist? Will keep weighing myself and see how it progresses.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast