starting strength gym
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    Nice DL PR! Reaching full new plates on lifts is the best.
    Thanks JT!

02/03/18 (Session #41)
    Bodyweight: 216 lbs
    Squat: 285 x 5 x 3
    Press: 137.5 × 5 x 3
    Chins: 5, 4, 4

2/05/18
    Bodyweight: 217 lbs (lots of birthdays so pizza and cake all freaking week long)
    Squat: 290 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 180 x 5 x 3
    DL: 135 x 2

Benched first, then squatted. After squat, lower back was really tight and in pain. My squat form was not the greatest, but I didn't feel like it was any worse than usual. As I started setting up deadlifts, it got worse and worse. After I did first two warm-up sets at 135 lbs, it was so intense that I decided to stop altogether. I have a busy day of work tomorrow that I can't afford to miss due to pushing it too hard. Spent 20 minutes in the sauna stretching and that really helped. If this goes away, I may run by the gym after work tomorrow and get that deadlift session in.

Seems like sessions where all three lifts are successfully completed are getting few and far between. My bicep is far less sore after the session than it was, so I think it's on the mend.

2/09/18
    Bodyweight: 215 lbs
    Squat: 295 x 5 x 3
    Press: 140 x 3, 135 x 4, 125 x 5
    DL: 320 x 5

Sick again this week. Thats the third time in two months. Squatted before press. Bad idea. Bicep pain returned...couldn't hit press as a result. Had to taper back weight.

2/12/18
    Bodyweight: 214 lbs
    Squat: 300 x 3, 225 x 5 x 2
    Bench: 185 x 5 x 2, 135 x 5
    Chins: Didn't attempt

Benched first two sets successfully, then couldn't get a single rep. Had to lower to 135 for the last set. Bicep was throbbing in pain. Guy spotting me suggested acupuncture. He then went to his bench and did 315 for 10 as if to taunt me.

I then tried squatting. Could barely even unrack it. Took three attempts just to walk it out. Only able to get three reps at 300 lbs. Had to lower to 225 for last two sets. Bicep throbbing in pain even worse. Skipped chins and did 10 minutes of cardio instead.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I only feel this pain and weakness in the bicep after I start lifting. It mostly goes away between sessions.

I keep re-aggravating it every time so it's not going away. But those words "What are you going to do, not train?" keep me taunting me, so I keep coming back for more punishment.

Will reach out to my SSC to discuss other ideas.

2/14/18
    Bodyweight: 213 lbs
    Leg Press Machine: 270 x 5 x 3
    Press: 115 x 5 x 3
    DL: 325 x 3
    Rower: 5 sets of 30 second intervals at 100% effort with 90 seconds rest between sets.

Talked to my SSC about modifying my lifts to let my bicep heal. Will use leg press machine/safety squat bar in place of low bar squat for a couple weeks. Will also go with a lighter weight on the press and will try some dumbell presses in place of the bench. Was planning on keeping deadlifts, but today I did notice my bicep pain returning during deads, so I cut the set short. Not sure about whether to keep deads in the rotation or cut them out for a couple weeks. Might just take the weight down a bit.

I decided to use this lower intensity time period to start working some cardio into my routine to aid in my recovery time between sets. The plan is to alternate days between intervals on a rower or assault bike and 30 minutes or so of steady state cardio on the treadmill or elliptical.
    Last edited by MikeRichard; 02-23-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRichard View Post
    Talked to my SSC about modifying my lifts to let my bicep heal.
    Hate to hear that bicep pain is giving you so much trouble. I pray that the modifications will help you get things ironed out quickly.

2/20/18
    Bodyweight: 210 lbs
    Squat: 300 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 180 x 5 x 3
    DL: 325 x 5

Had a longer time between workouts than planned. Decided to give the regular training lifts a shot as my bicep felt good. There was no pain during or after. I was very exhausted during and after the session. Needed long rest periods between sets.

2/22/18
    Bodyweight: 212 lbs
    Squat: 305 x 5 x 2, 225 x 5 x 1
    Press: 140 x 5 x 3
    Chins: 5, 5, 5
    C2 Rower: 30 seconds @ 100%, 90 seconds rest x 6 sets

Bummed about not finishing the squats. The second set was a total grind. Tried the third set, but I couldn't even get one rep. Lowered it down to 225 for 5 reps.

Got the Press worksets done, but it was a total grind too. The last rep had to be the longest grind of any rep I've ever done.

I feel like progress is getting really slow and I am so exhausted before, during and long after each workout. Will keep at it and take the gains as they come. It's really hasn't been much fun lately.
    Last edited by MikeRichard; 02-23-2018 at 12:21 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Glad to see that you're no longer having the issue with the bicep pain.

I've been pretty worn out lately too so I hear where you're coming from. I'm just trying to focus on getting enough sleep and nutrition to try to keep the gains going but it's getting harder to stay motivated lately.

Keep at it, you've come a long way from where you started!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast