starting strength gym

Thread: Jeremy's Starting Strength NLP

Default Jeremy's Starting Strength NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good afternoon all. I am new around the forums and have just begun my novice linear progression.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I squat in a wooden rack. Yes, I'm aware a steel rack is better. Money is stupid tight right now, and so I'm having to delay gratification in getting a metal rack. I need a better bar, more plates, etc. I have to make a vehicle purchase first and I don't believe in debt, so I built this wood rack out of materials I already had on hand because I am tired of being fat and weak. At least I'm squatting, pressing, and deadlifting. The "safety" pins are steel pipe with #8 rebar hammered into the middle of them. The hangers are made with grade 8 bolts, they're not gonna break. It's okay. I promise.

Seriously though, real rack coming soon.

33yom, 5'8, 247lbs. By day I am a band instrument repair technician, and I am a volunteer firefighter in my local district. Married, no kids.
    Previous lumbar problems stemming from a trampoline injury I suffered as a kid, it stays in check most of the time.
    At this time pre-hypertensive, I'm hoping the barbell training will aid in moving back down into normal range.
    I deal with generalized anxiety from time to time, another area I believe barbell training will fix after listening to the Barbell Logic Podcast. If you haven't you need to stop what you're doing and go start listening right now.

Barbell Logic Podcast | Starting Strength Online Coaching

First session was as follows:
    Squat: 115x5x3
    Press: 70x5x3
    Deadlift: 185x3x1

I used the app for warmups, it is a great tool. No problems with these lifts as far as the weights went, I know I have a lot of form factors to work on, especially in the press and deadlift at this point. I have read the book and I'm on read #2 currently. Also actively reading articles around the site and I watch all the videos that come out on the youtube channel.

If you care to see, here's the video from the 16th, the times for the actual lifts are in the description below the video. All sets in video are last set on each lift respectively. Camera angle is as good as I can get it currently with the tiny room I'm in. Looking forward to the journey.

Last edited by Jeremy Hill; 11-18-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Don't be defensive about your rack. You did a beautiful job in making it. It looks as good as the Rogue racks in our gym. I congratulate you on your ability to build it.

I have a couple of observations. Generally your lifts show very good form.
    Press: Some of the presses look like 1.0 and some look like 2.0. I admit mine aren't much better even after nearly 5 years. 2.0 gives one a bit more power because it engages more of the body.
    Dead: One need not look up so far with the lifts.

Overall, good start. You should be pleased with it.

Thanks Carson. You hit the nail on the head, I noticed the same about my press, I did go between 1.0 and 2.0. I re-watched the 2.0 video, next session I'll keep that in mind.

I think on the DL I am equating looking up with squeezing the chest up. On the Barbell Logic Podcast Reynolds talks about trying to aim your nipples at the wall in front of you and your ***hole at the wall behind you, that's what I had in mind during that set. What's more is I felt as though my back was flat, so I'll have to keep working at setting proper extension before the pull. I don't have a problem with lumbar extension in general, so I'll try another set and if I'm not getting it I may back the weight down a bit to train the proper form back into the weight. I don't want to solidify an incorrect movement pattern into my lifts at the outset. I'm also trying to not move the bar around so much between reps, I noticed it is not tracking linearly or landing in the same area each time, which means my knee and hip angles are changing. My shins didn't take a beating, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hill View Post
    Good afternoon all. I am new around the forums and have just begun my novice linear progression.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I squat in a wooden rack. Yes, I'm aware a steel rack is better. Money is stupid tight right now, and so I'm having to delay gratification in getting a metal rack. I need a better bar, more plates, etc. I have to make a vehicle purchase first and I don't believe in debt, so I built this wood rack out of materials I already had on hand because I am tired of being fat and weak. At least I'm squatting, pressing, and deadlifting. The "safety" pins are steel pipe with #8 rebar hammered into the middle of them. The hangers are made with grade 8 bolts, they're not gonna break. It's okay. I promise.

Seriously though, real rack coming soon.

33yom, 5'8, 247lbs. By day I am a band instrument repair technician, and I am a volunteer firefighter in my local district. Married, no kids.
    Previous lumbar problems stemming from a trampoline injury I suffered as a kid, it stays in check most of the time.
    At this time pre-hypertensive, I'm hoping the barbell training will aid in moving back down into normal range.
    I deal with generalized anxiety from time to time, another area I believe barbell training will fix after listening to the Barbell Logic Podcast. If you haven't you need to stop what you're doing and go start listening right now.

Barbell Logic Podcast | Starting Strength Online Coaching

First session was as follows:
    Squat: 115x5x3
    Press: 70x5x3
    Deadlift: 185x3x1

I used the app for warmups, it is a great tool. No problems with these lifts as far as the weights went, I know I have a lot of form factors to work on, especially in the press and deadlift at this point. I have read the book and I'm on read #2 currently. Also actively reading articles around the site and I watch all the videos that come out on the youtube channel.

If you care to see, here's the video from the 16th, the times for the actual lifts are in the description below the video. All sets in video are last set on each lift respectively. Camera angle is as good as I can get it currently with the tiny room I'm in. Looking forward to the journey.

Wow, thats a great rack, good luck with your gainzz,

Session 2 11/18/17

Squat: 115x5x1 (Accidentally forgot to add final plate), 125x5x2
    Bench Press: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 195x5x1

Notes:
    Squat and first bench session felt okay, not too challenging and not too easy. Of course still learning technique.
    Deadlift felt -unusual. Did first work set right after standing up out of a chair resting between sets, got a little black in my vision. Orthostatic hypotension, just need to give myself a few more seconds before starting the lift after sitting, or just don't sit down period. I am still moving the bar around on the ground way too much. I need to get some sweats, I'm convinced it's me wanting to guard my shins from the bar on the way up especially. Also noted that I need to, in general, slow down a bit across all of the lifts, especially the setup on the deadlift. Need to watch warmup regimen more closely, accidentally did 5's on a couple of warmups that should have been 2's or 3's.

We've probably all forgotten plates. It just feels light and you fix the problem. Just don't do what I did and miss-read 2.5 and put 25s on. I benched that about a 1/4 of the way before it crashed to the safeties.

I will link the videos for these workouts once I have the edits done.

Session 3 11/21/17

Squat: 135x5x3
    Press: 75x5x53
    Deadlift: 205x5x1

I know I'm getting some lumbar flexion in the bottom of the squat, knees are sliding forward. Will film from the side next time to verify. Finally got Press 2.0 installed in my brain. Deadlift was still a bit out, next time will remember to lock hip position, not move the bar, squeeze chest up, and push the floor away.

Session 4 11/23/17

Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench Press: 120x5x3
    Deadlift: 215x5x1

Filmed this squat session from the side, noted the kneed are moving way out forward in the bottom of the hole, so the lumbar is indeed unlocking and letting the knees come forward in order to accomplish the needed depth.
    Last edited by Jeremy Hill; 11-29-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Set correction.

starting strength coach development program
    Session 5
    11/25/17

Squat: 155x5x3
    Press: 80x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5x1

Notes: Videos showing knee slide in the hole. Need to keep in mind shooting the hips back and keeping them here.

Session 6
    11/28/17

Squat: 165x5x3
    Bench: 125x5x3
    Deadlift: 235x5x1

Notes: Videos on squats show improvement with knee slide. Deadlift continues to feel like the bar is getting out in front of me. I am making sure to hinge at the hips, take grip, move shins to the bar, lock hips at height, squeeze chest up, and pull. DL’s are starting to feel heavy.