Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad’s LP log

Default Chad’s LP log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Restarting Starting Strength after some time off. Current stats:

Male age 46. 5’10, 227.5lb, currently fat, naval 46”

May have started a little conservatively based on form issues in past. Really need to make sure squat, press and DL form are correct.

I previously did SS and progressed to 225lb squat, 255 DL, bench 185, press 125 but stopped when I started having severe arthritis in my foot related to psoriasis. Should have been a short term stoppage but ended up being way too long and I decompensated.

Current plan is to have a coach in person and check in every month or two to verify form.

11/24/17 (all in lb)
    Squat 95x5x3
    Bench 80x5x3
    DL 105x5

11/26/17
    Squat 100x5x3
    Press 50x5x3
    DL115x5

So far probably could have started most a little higher weight but I have a scheduled coaching session with Noah Milstein on Dec 10 to check form. Nice to have a coach within driving distance now.
    Last edited by chadp; 12-03-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Good idea to have access to a certified SS coach.

11/29/17

Squat 105x5x3
    Bench 85x5x3
    DL 125x5

Last set of squats felt good. Hoping my form isn’t too bad but we’ll see when I see Noah in a 1.5 weeks.

12/2/17

Squats 110x5x3
    Press 55x5x3
    DL 135x5

Weight 227.0
    Naval 45.5 (down 1/2 inch)

My knees are sliding forward on the squat but not past my toes when I used tubow. Instead of going forward then down they seem to gradually get to tubow. At least when I watched the video.

Press I’m not too sure about my setup. Deadlift felt good but we’ll see.

Hopefully will get these form issues fixed with coaching session. Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by chadp; 12-03-2017 at 06:29 AM.

12/4/17

Squat 115x5x3
    Bench 90x5x3
    DL 145x5

Overall felt ok. Left knee a little creaky but didn’t notice on squat. Maybe knee sleeve at some point.

12/6/17

Squat 120x5x3
    Press 60x5x3
    DL 155x5

12/8/17

Squat 125x5x3
    Bench 95x5x3
    DL 165x5

Coaching session tomorrow (12/10) with Noah. Looking forward to see where I am with my form.

Exciting getting to work with an SS coach. Wish we had any in my entire state :'(

A little surprised to see 5lb jumps for the Squat this early especially when you have hit 225 sets ever. But glad to see you sticking with it either way.

Will be following you back!

Quote Originally Posted by SiQ View Post
    Exciting getting to work with an SS coach. Wish we had any in my entire state :'(

A little surprised to see 5lb jumps for the Squat this early especially when you have hit 225 sets ever. But glad to see you sticking with it either way.

Will be following you back!
    Previously the closest coach was in Atlanta (3.5hr away) until Noah moved from Boston to Charlotte. He’s about an hour-15 min which is doable. Hoping to go once a month if he agrees that can work for me. I tried the online coaching last time and really liked Sully but my form was so bad it took weeks of back and forth to get it corrected. I think once I’m at the intermediate stage and more technically sound that could be good for me.

Yeah I had some bad form with squat before and I knew I had this coach session coming up. My thought was to let him help me and see what weight is appropriate as I know I could do more on most of the lifts currently. I took it slow after my first squat session and being sore. Realized not as young as I once was.
    Last edited by chadp; 12-09-2017 at 08:43 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Met with Noah yesterday for coaching session. As I expected, I had a number of issues with my squat. He moved the bar what felt like about an inch lower on my back. Then worked on releasing the knees and back simultaneously. Other big thing was keeping lumbar extension throughout. Ended up repeating my last work set of 125lb.

Press not as bad. Had to get my elbows more forward to get everything “tight” which allowed me to actually feel a bounce. I don’t think I had ever done that correctly. Cue was “let it bounce.”

Last, on deadlift he had me move my feet an inch closer and go through the set up process step by step as in the book as I had gotten sloppy with that. Otherwise he said it looked good.

12/10/17
    Squat 125x5x3
    Press 65x5x3
    DL 175x5

We also discussed my next step in training. Will likely drop to 5lb jumps on DL after next session, then soon after will not deadlift every workout. Plan is to use chins instead of learning the power clean.

2nd coaching session 12/17/17 to hammer in squat technique and see how my bench is.

If anyone is anywhere in the Charlotte area I highly recommend Noah as a coach. It is well worth the time time and money to feel the improvement he can make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast