starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: James' Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wednesday 21/03/18

Missed training.

I had to go to the gas fields for work. Luggage allowance is very limited. I didn't even pack prrotein. I wanted to take a couple of photos of the camp's gym, but there were people working out so I left them to it.

Friday 23/03/18

SQ 162 kg (356.4) 3 x 5
    P 66 kg (145.2) 5, 3+g, 3+g
    DL 166 kg (365.2) 1 x 5

Really happy to get the squats and deadlifts done after no session on Wednesday

Monday 26/03/18

SQ 163 kg (358.6) 3 x 5 (first set was mis-loaded to 164)
    BP 91 kg (200.2) 3 x 5
    CU BW 4 X AMRAP (6+2NEG(0,0,5), 6+2NEG(0,0,5), 2+g, 3+g)

Spent all weekend doing non-favourite things. Judged a gymnastics competition on Saturday and went into the office on Sunday. Everything seems to be piling up at work. It would have been very easy to not lift tonight and maybe break out some work instead, but I'm sure that lifting tonight is the right thing to do to make tomorrow more manageable.

At least I got six months in before getting this far with the feelz.

I added the extra negs to chin-ups tonight. I've hit 4x6 with first-set negs a couple times. After getting that 163 up, including the mis-load (put a 2.5 on one side instead of 1.5) I'm not too fussed about a few chin-ups.

Wednesday 28/03/18

SQ 130.5 kg (287.1) 3 x 5
    P 66 kg (145.2) 5, 5, 4 + grind
    DL 168 kg (369.6) 1 x 5

Just didn't have that last press, but it is an improvement over Friday's attempt.

Have felt a whole lot better in the last couple of days with work stress. Getting a couple things crossed off the list and getting my training done is a good feeling.

Friday 30/03/18

SQ 164 kg (360.8) 3 x 5

Saturday 31/03/18

BP 92 kg (202.4) 3 x 5
    CU BW 4 X AMRAP (6+2NEG(0,0,5), 6+2NEG(0,0,5), 3+g, 4+g)

The gym closed at 8 pm on Friday and I couldn't get there any earlier. Decided to split the session over 2 days. Elbow pain after benching was pretty severe! Couldn't help but think about how much warmup must carry over from squatting.

This is the last BP session I'll complete before my two-week trip for work, so it deserves a video clip:

Last edited by Ronin609; 04-02-2018 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Added BP cllip since I couldn't have 3 clips in the next post

Monday 02/04/18

SQ 165 kg (363) 3 x 5
    P 66 kg (145.2) 3 x 5
    DL 170 kg (374) 1 x 5

Finally got that last press at 66 kg. Didn't really get the hips working really efficiently, but got it done.

DL is back to where it was when I injured my oblique muscle. That's great, but it's probably going to remain my PR for a little longer. I have a 2-week, 3 city work trip. So this is the end of my fully commited run at LP. I missed a workout a couple weeks ago, but it didn't hold back progress. From now on, I'm expecting to have to travel once a month. I haven't found a place to train yet, but I have found out that I can fit my gym gear in my case and come under the baggage limit.

Since this is a point I'll be aiming to get back to, I'm going to post some links to video:

Monay 9/04/18

SQ 132.5 kg (291.5) 3 x 5
    BP 92.5 kg (203.5) 3 x 5
    CU BW 4 X AMRAP (6, 5, miss, miss)

Found a gym on my travel day off site. Pretty good squat cage but everything else was a bit off. Of course, the gym did not have the full set of change plates in 0.5 kg increments, so I couldn't set my exact target weights. Not really a problem since it was an 80% SQ and I could set 92.5 instead of 93 for BP.

No chin-up bar bolted to the cage - only option not attached to some sort of machine (and of course the machines were all being used) was bolted off the wall and only offered pronated or neutral grip. There was a fixed box/step to help shorter people reach the bar. I was too arched through the back and had my hips extended and knees flexed. I usually do them fully extended through the body (until I start flexing at the hip when I get tired). I would have been kicking the wall with my usual technique hence the modification. I didn't like the change and I've tweaked my oblique again. Grrrrrr!!!

I've lined up a gym for my next workout. It's a full blown powerlifting / strongman style gym. Should be interesting.

Wednesday 11/04/18

SQ 155 kg (341) 3 x 5
    P 62.5 kg (137.5) 5, 5, 4g
    DL 160kg (352) 1 x 5

Found a gym on my next stop, Brisbane. It's a powerlifting gym, so it was cool to lift with some like-minded people. It was hot and humid. Definitely made an impact on my energy levels. I went direct after a long day in the sun too. I'll use this as my go-to place as I continue to travel through the year.

The only good thing that could be said about my dead lifts was that I did them. I didn't record them, but I know they weren't pretty.

Monday 16/04/18

SQ 157 kg (345.4) 3 x 5
    P 62.5 kg (137.5) 3 x 5
    DL 162kg (356.4) 1 x 5

Back at home after a couple weeks up and down the East coast. I thought I'd get in the gym on Friday, but it didn't happen. Drove to Geelong with the family on Saturday and flew back today. Wife and kids are visiting family for the rest of the week. I thought my wife would have everything ready to go on Friday while I was traveling back from Brisbane, but it was clear she had found it difficult.

After a delayed flight home, and having a chat with Dad (he was looking after the dogs for us) I wasn't really enthused about going to the gym, but I got there and actually had a pretty good session. Just need a bit more arch in the upper back while pressing.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday 8/05/18

SQ 167 kg (367.4) 3 x 5
    BP 97 kg (213.4) 3 x 5
    CU BW 4 X AMRAP (6, 6, pass, pass)

Ok, I've been away from this log for about a month, but I have been lifting. It's almost excusable since I spent the last month getting back into PR range. Bench was the only lift that didn't have to reset. I just missed the last rep at 97 kg on Wednesday last week. I equaled PRs on everything else last week and added a kilo to both squat and press on Friday. First week back in training was tough - I was drained by the end of that week.

For the first time, I've let out a grunt at the end of a squat. I usually lift quietly, holding the valsava, maybe a little squeak at the end as I take a breath, but I was vocal on the last two reps today.

This was my first time back on full chin-ups since Wagga Wagga. I only got two sets in - combination of the return to the exercise (i was doing supine grip lat pulls over the last month) and the toll inflicted by the squat sets.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast