starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nteeps' Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ah, me lad, you are doing a good thing. Certified coaches can do wonders. Check out the seminars. I know Suburban Detroit is not just up the street from Toronto but we have training camps at Greysteel from time to time. Dr. Sullivan, my coach, and Kris Kurisko, from Lansing, conduct these coaches. The dates, times, and locations are posted here Coaching | Starting Strength. None are posted yet for Greysteel in Farmington, Mi but they soon should be. I'll check with Sully to see if and when they may have scheduled them. We've had people come from hundreds of miles away for these camps.

A camp is being held at our Greysteel Gym on Feb. 3. Register. Come on down and get some personal coach by two of the best, Dr. Jonathon Sullivan and Chris Kurisko in Farmington and help me celebrate my 71st birthday.

As amazing as that sounds, I'm actually moving right around that time, so that will be a super busy time for me. More unfortunately, I'm moving to Cold Lake, Alberta. Look it up. I don't think there are going to be any training camps near there! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nteeps View Post
    As amazing as that sounds, I'm actually moving right around that time, so that will be a super busy time for me. More unfortunately, I'm moving to Cold Lake, Alberta. Look it up. I don't think there are going to be any training camps near there! Haha.
    I believe you. Do Canadians usually move in the dead of winter? Do they move to even colder places in the dead of winter?

7 Dec - Day 11: BW = 179 (I guess I'm still not eating enough)

Gym was super busy, so I had to DL first again. I realized when I was putting the weight on for my work set that last workout I actually did 295, not 285 like I meant to do - a 20lb jump! No wonder it was so hard. Anyway, I just added 5 and did 300!

DL: 135, 165, 225, 300x5x1 - definitely some lower back rounding on 4 and 5. I should probably start PCs now and slow DL to 5lb jumps.

Press: 45, 55, 75, 100x5x3 - this was really tough. My form was breaking down (leaning right) on last reps of 2 and 3. Missed rep 5 of 3 after a good 3 sec grind at eye level (time confirmed by friend). I've asked for fractional plates for Christmas, but I could use them pronto!

Squat: 45, 115, 145, 195, 235x5x3 - really not that hard. I took a video for a form check of set 1. We'll see what's said about it.

From Check @ 235

11 Dec - Day 12: BW = 184

I've been feeling my patellar tendon more lately. The pain is just at the top of the patella and matches the symptoms of what's been posted on these forums a lot. Today was the first time I felt it while squatting (usually just a day or two after) but only during my warmup sets. I may need to rest it a bit.

Decided to start PCs today rather than DL. Felt like a good start, but obviously lots of stuff to work on still.

Squat: 45, 115, 145, 195, 240x5x3 - knees are wobbling in at the bottom of the squat, and my never be quite out as far as they should be. Still waiting on form check, but here's a better video.
    Set 1 Set 2

BP: 45, 65, 85, 115, 155 - this was a repeat because I failed it last time. Still super hard, but I finished all of them. At the top 1/3rd of the push, I find I'm "unarching" my back and pressing my mid back into the bench to push. Probably not the greatest form.

PC: I used to bar a bunch of times, focusing on keeping my arms straight in the jump. Then 65lbs, and a two sets of 5 at 95lbs. Main difficulty was getting bar directly into rack position. I tend to kinda catch it and then lower in into position, which didn't feel nice on the wrists.

starting strength coach development program
    Dec 18 - Day 13: BW = 185

I took a week off. Partly to rehab my knee, and partly because I was busy with school. Unfortunately I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before this, so I was definitely not feeling at the top of my game at the gym. It was more of a "get it done" sort of day.

Squat: 45, 115, 145, 195, 245x5x3 - I used a narrower stance on the recommendation of Tom Campitelli, and that felt a bit awkward. My knee didn't hurt at all during or after though, so maybe that's the fix I needed. The bar was slipping down my back a bit today though. I think this was partly because I was tired, probably put it a bit low. On set 2 it actually slipped after rep 3 and I needed some help to get it back in the rack. I had to finish the last two reps separately. That was a first, but when I thought back, the bar has been slowly slipping lately, so I'll need to figure that out. Set 3 had no issues like that, but by the end I think the bar was a touch lower than it started. I think I need to just get it up a bit higher to start.

Press: 45, 55, 75, 100x5x3 - Ugh. These did not go well. It was my second attempt but I missed #5 on both set 2 and 3. I'll chalk it up to being tired and try again next time.

DL: 135, 165, 225, 305x5x1 - probably a bit better control of my lower back than last time, but still some rounding. I started to lose my grip on #5 - the gym won't let me use chalk.

Chins: BWx6, x5, x4 - I've decided to add these in every workout now. My plan is to do my max -1 rep for 3 sets with 2ish minute breaks. I probably should've done 5 on my last one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12