• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    WORKOUT 9
    Squat 175X5, 175X5, 175X5
    Deadlift 225X5
    Bench Press 170X5, 170X5, 170X5

Rest between sets 4:00m

+Squat: felt the strongest yet, bar speed actually improved, I am excited for the day my squat to catch up to deadlift, I'm feeling like its my better movement. My mid to mid-upper back felt tight and pumped up after my 3 sets, interesting. I think I need to widen my stance some since I'm getting better at pushing my knees out.
    +Deadlift: I experimented with Alan Thralls tip to load hamstrings by hinging over and position felt better, watching the video I can see now how the deadlift is an exercise of the upper and middle back to prevent rounding, as I noticed I round a little with this weight. I did a number of warm ups with 155 and saw none of that rounding of the mid back. REP1 was good, then rounding takes over. If someone cares to comment on if I should repeat this weight or keep going, I think 5lb jumps now.
    +Bench Press: is still easy, not much to report on there
    +Workout time was about 1hr including warm ups and a little stretching

Thanks for the support!

SQUAT: YouTube
    DEADLIFT: YouTube
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.

WORKOUT 10
    Squat 185X5, 185X5, 185X5
    Deadlift 230X5
    Overhead Press 115X5, 115X5, 115X5

+Squats took a bigger jump today due to how easy last workout was and some advice I read on forums about when to stop 10lb jumps. Strength wise I started very conservatively, but I had tightness / form / joint issues having been to sedentary. My movement feels stable and strong now, even holding a low squat at body weight was painful at first. I think I may get another 10lb jump before dropping to 5lb's again. I don't want to overreach, and am enjoying the process, 4 workout ago 5lb jumps felt right, now 10lb's do, I sense I will know when 5lb jumps need to return. Looking at form from the side as opposed to a 45 degree angle was very helpful, I can see bar path problems due to not sitting far enough back. Thinking about this further it may be wise to return to 5lb jumps now and not get ahead of myself. In 2 months, from now I don't think I'll be worried about it. I suspect I would mess up the LP doing another bigger jump. I wont do it.

+Deadlift is becoming a challenge, I may try 5lb jumps a few more times before alternating barbell rows. I see the weight comes up on my toes, have to focus on midfoot, I'll setup with the bar closer to shins.

+Overhaed Press felt good on final set

+Weight 292lb (+10lbs), weight gain, work belt has size has remained the same

SQUAT YouTube
    DEADLIFT YouTube

EXTRA: Protein to 230g, carbs to 200g, and 75g fat. May be a new target. I really hate counting macro's.
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.

WORKOUT 11
    Squat 190X5, 190X5, 190X5
    Deadlift 235X5
    Bench Press 175X5, 175X5, 175X5

+Squats, took a beating warming up +practice sets, struggling to get that more bent over position. Noticed as well that at working weight the upper and middle back remains flatter than it will at warm ups, I feel like this session's squats did improve slightly from last session at least. I feel I need to focus more on the "drop your balls between your legs" to get my hip more bent over to get a flatter back. I did notice bar path was more straight this session by putting more weight on my heel.

+Deadlift: Felt lighter today than last session I think because I managed to keep it closer to my mid foot on its upward path. Not perfect, still learning to get tight, took some help from technique forums and applied it, it helped. Overall I feel that it improved a little more.

DEADLIFT: (deleted 5 rep set by accident, so posting a single) YouTube
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-12-2018 at 05:00 PM.

WORKOUT 12
    Squat 195X5, 195X5, 195X5
    Deadlift 240X5
    Press 120X5, 120X5, 120X5

+Weight 291lb

+Squat felt good its my favorite lift at the moment. I assume due to being sick this workout after last set I didn't have much energy, normally I feel as though on my last set I could probably push through to 10+ reps If I needed too.

+Deadlift was a still a challenge but I got through it without it feeling harder than last time, maybe a little easier.

+Press was tough, and once again last set was easier than the first two

+Worked out with a COLD, be it mild at this point, was sick the last 2 days.

Last edited by Greaps; 01-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.

WORKOUT 13 (01/18/18) LATE POST
    Squat 200X5, 200X5, 200X5
    Deadlift 245X5
    Bench Press 185X5, 185X5, 185X5

+Was a rushed day and a rushed workout, a night workout following construction most of the day so not ideal.

SQUAT YouTube
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-20-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Nice work, Greaps! Keep it going. Your home gym setup looks really nice, too. Will keep following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRichard View Post
    Nice work, Greaps! Keep it going. Your home gym setup looks really nice, too. Will keep following your progress.
    Thanks it has been a fun ride, be interesting to see how far this goes. I picked up spotter arm attachments so I am ready for failure when the time comes. I think I may need to begin alternating in Barbell Rows with Deadlift soon. I think I can start the barbell row at around 155-165lb for 3 sets of 8 reps. I have to re-read how to implement barbell rows though.

I think that is a good strategy. You won't want to deadlift every workout now that the weight is growing heavier'ish. Also you might consider deadlifting after you press/bench.

Bar speed in your squats/deadlift videos look like you have a lot of linear progress left in you. Enjoy the ride.

WORKOUT 14
    Squat 205X5, 205X5, 205X5, 205X5 (Did one extra set as I wasn't happy with work set form)
    Deadlift 250X5
    Press 125X5, 125X5, 125X5

+Squat didn't look right, was having problems with wrists and bar on back position this problem seemed to randomly appear today as I hadn't had this problem lately. I don't get it. Upper back felt a little tight this workout so perhaps this hindered me getting my shoulder low and together. I will try and roll them out. Could it be deadlift recovery isn't complete now between workouts?

+Deadlift felt good, but hips look soft as I reach full extension, I would like a faster push forward. I think I maybe setting up with shoulders to far in front of the barbell. video to come.

+Each workout it seems like one exercise or the other is the dominate lift.

+ I attempted the clean rack position and have sever flexibility issues I will be doing barbell rows instead

SQUAT YouTube
    DEADLIFT YouTube
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-21-2018 at 12:41 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    WORKOUT 15 (took one more day of rest here due to lots of construction work leaving me tight and tired)
    Squat 210X5, 210X5, 210X5
    Deadlift 255X5
    Bench Press 205X5, 205X5, 205X5

Conditioning C2ROWER INTERVALS 11 sets 20s/1:40s AVG 520W, 1:27s/500m

+Squats went easy found myself under the bar without any trouble, I need to pay more attention to depth, to much depth and the lower back rounds, some reps looked good, some not as good. Felt very good after completion.

+Deadlift bar speed is slowing down but I see an ever more flat back, I need to stop that hyper extension at top it looks ridiculous. Felt great after the set.

+Bench Press - took another big jump and had no problems at all, fast bar speed, its always been a strong lift for me. Its the squat and deadlift I learned when I choose this program I had been doing dangerously wrong for years and hence never made much progress.

+Conditioning performed a few hours after the lifting, I am a firefighter and think I will begin incorporating some conditioning work, I read 20s/1:40s is for 6-10 sets is a good session. I am not sure how often to perform conditioning, I think I will do it the day before and the day of my lifting leaving one day with no conditioning or lifting per cycle.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: YouTube
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-25-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast