starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greaps Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlift Form Check 185X1
    YouTube

Why did you only do one deadlift. The LP protocol calls for 5 x 3. One doesn't tell much.

Hi Carson, I do 1X5 on deadlift per program, the one I posted was only a form check, I hadn't read form check rules yet when I posted it and didn't know at the time of posting that form check should always be your 5 rep work set.

You are correct. It's 1 x 5. Post five lifts and I may be able to comment. Anyway, keep up the good work. Don't let me discourage you.

WORKOUT 6
    Squat 160X5, 160X5, 160X5
    Deadlift 195X5
    Overhead Press 105X5, 105X5, 105X5

Rest Between sets 4:00m

+1hr Squat warm up / practice, trying to apply the form check help I received.

+I think I know why I squat to upright, its due to bar being to high on my back due to lack of back and shoulder mobility. I think If I got the bar a little lower on my back I could bend over more and remain in balance.

+It may be something else entirely, I am unsure if the form is bad enough to the point of halting LP, perhaps someone can comment.

+I will be practicing getting under the bar daily to develop this flexibility.

SQUAT : YouTube
    OVERHEAD PRESS : YouTube
    Deadlift: YouTube

Find a certified SS coach and learn from them from time to time. In person coaching from one properly trained to offer coaching is of immeasurable value. A lifting camp can be very useful as well. I don't know where you live but one that I assist with is in Farmington Hills, Michigan. I'm just a gofor but it's necessary. Feb. 3. Look it up.

WORKOUT 7
    Squat 165X5, 165X5, 165X5
    Deadlift 205X5
    Bench Press 165X5, 165X5, 165X5

Rest between sets 4:00m

+Squat improving, learned to use a slightly higher belt position which allows me to bend over more, I struggle to keep head down, I need to find a place to look. Also the bar position on the back is improving now, wrists are still adapting but its getting there.

+Deadlift, learned I can in fact warm up to much, workset suffered, learning to keep hips higher and squeeze my shoulders together to flatten mid to upper back more. Pulling my shoulders back hard is difficult move for me to hold.

+Bench Press, no problems..

+Feeling stronger and stronger, have no pains, feel stretched out and good following the workout.
    Last edited by Greaps; 12-31-2017 at 03:25 PM.

WORKOUT 8
    Squat 170X5, 170X5, 170X5
    Deadlift 215X5
    Overhead Press 110X5, 110X5, 110X5

Rest between sets 4:00m

+Squats looked a little better and becoming harder weight wise, reviewing my video, of the 5 reps some were better than others
    +Deadlift looked worse than last session. Going to go back to what I was doing and work on hamstring flexibility. I did get my wife to check bar position for mid-foot status. I tried more leg-press like cue on the pull as someone suggested and felt it in my quads after this set. I think I need to work on hamstring flexibility to get the mid back more flat, My hamstrings are horribly tight, always have been. I fail misrible on a sit and reach test, its really bad.
    +Overhead Press was tough but successful

SQUAT: YouTube
    Deadlift: YouTube
    Last edited by Greaps; 01-03-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Think I found a solution to weak / or tight hamstrings that is likely hurting my squat and deadlift.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    I think you may be overthinking things needing an accessory hamstring exercise. Your weights are going up pretty steadily and your last squat video looks pretty good. You'll probably be able to just keep going and your hamstrings will get stronger and work themselves flexible. Only thing I'd say is that you're pausing in the hole, consider bouncing at the bottom and coming right back up, you're on the verge of paused squats.

Besides that you're doing great! Your numbers are coming right along, just keep up what you're doing and see a coach if you have a chance. Great Work!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast