• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m an Independent Baptist missionary.

January 5th 2018

Workout A

Squat: 85kg

Press: 45kg

Deadlift: 85kg

Notes: This was a morning workout so I was a little less warmed up than normal. It’s pretty hot where I live so I usually arrive to the gym already sweating. This morning was less so. I did some extra warmup sets.

Squat felt good. Press felt good, bar speed very slow on 4-5 reps. Felt like RPE 9-9.5. I experienced a little pain in my left shoulder from the press. It’s not a sharp pain, just a lingering pain. I’ve always had a weak left shoulder since I can remember. I have had scapular winging in that shoulder since I can remember and it always feels a little tighter and weaker. I’ve felt this pain before when doing heavy shoulder exercises. This weight for the press was very challenging so I think I will keep the same weight for the next workout. It’s this time that I really would prefer to have 2.5 lb weights but just not an option right now.

Deadlift felt really good. I’m liking the deadlift more and more. I’m lifting the most weight I’ve ever lifted during my time exercising so I’m pretty excited.

January 8th, 2018

Weight: 216.7lbs

Workout B2

Squat: 95kg

Bench: 80kg

Deadlift: 95kg

Notes: the reason for the 10kg jump is that I weighed the bar at my gym and it was 20kg, they told me it was 15kg. So today was the first day in my life squatting and deadlifting over 200lbs. That is a pretty cool feeling. On Wednesday I will be squatting and deadlifting more than my body weight which is also cool. I’m having a lot of fun with this program.

Squat felt good, bench press felt difficult but I knew I had all the reps in me. Deadlift felt good as well. My back is feeling strong.

I’m having a slight lower back pain, maybe 2/10. I feel no issue when deadlifting. I’ve been having this pain come randomly ever since I started riding a motorcycle everyday. I think it’s a combination of that and tight hip flexors as a result of riding. Whenever I stretch my hips it feels better. Maybe someone has a recommendation for me?

January 10th, 2018

Workout A1

Squat: 100kg

Press: 50kg

Deadlift: 100kg

Notes: The day before this workout I had to make a long trip of errands riding my motorcycle and so I had a pretty exhausting day. I tried to get 9 hours of sleep but ended up with about 8 and a half after waking up at 6:30am. I felt a little tired and my muscles felt a little fatigued but I decided to workout anyway. The lifts felt good.

Squat is starting to feel tough. I am taking longer rests between sets so my workouts are about 1 hour now. The press today for today is 50kg but it’s the same weight as last time, just correcting for the error in regards to the bar weight. I felt some of the same lingering pain during pressing but after the workout it felt much better. Almost no pain.

Deadlift felt good. Next week I am going to switch to Phase 2. The deadlifts are getting difficult and I’m still a little fatigued after one day of rest. Time to learn the power clean!

January 12, 2018

Workout B

Squat: 105kg

Bench Press: 85kg

Power clean: 40kg 1x3

Squat felt good. Bench press felt good. Last rep of last set was very slow. I had a spotter for this set because I knew it was going to very hard. I completed all reps. This was my first time trying powercleans. I messed around with small weight. I probably did fifteen reps of light weight. I finished with 3 reps of 40kg. My back is still fatigued from my last workout so I decided to call it a day. I’m looking forward to Monday.

I’m really progressing and I feel good overall. I’m consistently taking creatine between 3-4 grams a day. I’m having protein shakes with milk twice a day and eating a lot more meat. My pants are getting tighter because my legs are getting stronger and I’m gaining some fat.
    Last edited by Korbine; 01-12-2018 at 02:56 AM.

I'm retired United Methodist minister and college professor who now regularly attends a Catholic Church.
    Keep up the good work. I hope to meet you when you come back state side.

Thank you. No problem, we could meet up and do a workout. Haha.

January 15th 2018

Workout A2

Squat: 110kg

Press: 55kg

Deadlift: 105kg

All lifts are 3x5 unless otherwise specified.

Notes: Squat felt good. After squatting I had a small pain in my right knee. It went away after 10 minutes. Felt like a little crick or something. Press felt good. I’m feeling strong! Deadlift felt good.

I’m really enjoying my progress. I’m really surprised how quickly I’m gaining strength. This is Great.

January 17th 2018

Workout B

Squat: 115kg

Bench Press: 90kg 2x5, 1x4

Powerclean: 45kg

Notes: Squat felt good. This is the first time that I could really feel my hips doing the work. It felt good. I had a spotter for the Bench. I needed an assist on the last rep of the last set. If I'm going to be honest with myself, I didn't get that last rep, no excuses. I was honestly shocked that I was able to complete the first two sets. I'm really gaining strength quickly.

Power cleans felt good. It was only 45 kg but man is it a workout. It's almost like cardio!!

SERIOUS NOTE: I made a serious mistake for the first several weeks. I had been deadlifting for 3x5 instead of the required 1x5. No wonder my back was feeling so fatigued!! If I had not been eating a lot, getting good sleep, and also supplementing with creatine, I am sure I would have hurt my back, LESSON LEARNED, PAY ATTENTION TO THE PROGRAM!

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlifts take a tremendous amount of energy. Since you will be doing 5 x 1 instead of 5 x 3 you will no doubt see the DL numbers advancing much more than your squat numbers. See a SS coach as soon as possible. You should discover many more corrections that should be made.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast