starting strength gym
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Korbyn’s Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, I plan to see a coach once I return to Michigan. I’m sure I will take a visit at Grey Steel. You don’t know what you don’t know until you know it. Lol.

January 19th 2018

Workout A

Squat: 120kg

Press: 60kg 1x4, 55kg 2x5

Deadlift: 110kg 1x5

Notes: Squat felt good. Definitely getting tough. I’ve really been looking forward to my two day rest this week. Press felt good. I failed on the 4th rep with 60kg. So I completed the sets with 55kg. If I had smaller plates I’m sure I would have completed 57.5kg for 3x5.

Deadlift felt good. I feel better now that I am doing 1x5 after correcting my mistake.

My pants are tighter this week. My legs and back feel stronger. My arms and chest are a little bigger. I gave away a shirt that doesn’t fit me since I’ve gained a decent amount of size in the past 7 weeks. I ripped my pants last squat session so my wife will sew those and give them away too.

Getting strong (and gaining fat) has its consequences. Lol.

At this point when I look in the mirror and I can definitely tell I’m gaining muscle and fat.

You will soon look like Rip.

Haha. Any recommendations? From everything I’ve read and heard from Rip and various coaches I should just eat big and worry about losing fat later, possibly at the intermediate phase. I’ve been striving for over 200 grams of protein a day and just letting my carbs and fat fall where they may. I eat a reasonably healthy diet, carbs are usually brown rice.

January 22nd, 2018

Workout B2

Squat: 125kg

Bench Press: 90kg

Powerclean: 45kg

Notes: I was very distracted today because another gym goer brought his 4 year old daughter with him. She was climbing all over the equipment and was an average of 6ft away from me the entire session. Basically I ended up telling him every time I was going to start a set that way he would watch his child. So the workout wasn’t as fun but it was still accomplished.

Squats felt good. I’m getting a better sense of the bar path. I’m starting to get the sense of hip drive. Bench felt good. Last time I had a spotter and I failed the last rep of the last set. This time no spotter and I completed all reps. Next bench I will move up the weight.

Powerclean felt good. I was landing low in the power clean and this was the first time where I could tell I was catching it much better. I wanted to get my form at least decent before progressing in weight. Next week I will move up in weight.

This week I’m going on a mission trip a few hours a away so I will miss one session this week. I’m leaving early Wednesday morning and returning Friday morning.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Should I work out Tuesday evening or should I just wait until Friday and workout Sunday as well?

I’m not feeling very fatigued because I just had my two day rest.

Thanks.

January 23th 2018

Squat: 130kg 3x5

Press: 60kg 1x4, 55kg 2x5

Deadlift: 115kg 1x5

Notes: I decided to workout again today rather than missing a session this week. I was a little fatigued but the workout felt really good. Squats felt great. I’m at the point where I’m really pushing through the hole. It’s getting tough but I’m loving it. After my last set of squats I was feeling pumped!

Press felt good. I wish I had smaller plates. I know I could do 57.5kg for 3x5. 60kg is just too much right now but I know I will get it within a couple weeks. I know my form could use improvement. I’m keeping everything tight, it’s just getting the right timing for the “bounce.”

Deadlift felt good. I’ve been making sure my hands are dry when deadlifting. Once I return to the US I’m definitely going to invest in a belt, and some chalk.

Overall, I’m loving the program. I really can’t believe the progress that I’m making. It truly is “The Novice Affect.” I cant wait to come back on Friday and set another PR. Amen!!!!

For what it's worth I can lift around 112 kg. without chalk and 120-130 kg. overhand. After 130 kg. I need chalk and inverted grip thereafter. Of course, I'm about to turn 71. You may be able to go without chalk a bit longer.

I’m trying to maintain an overhand grip as long as possible because I’ve heard many people say that they start to overdevelop their traps on one side from always doing an inverted grip.

January 27th 2018

Workout B

Squat: 135kg

Bench: 95kg 1x5 1x4, 90kg 1x5

Powerclean: 50kg

Notes: Squats felt okay. I took a video and it looks like a didn’t reach depth on any of my reps. So I’m going to do 135kg again on Monday to clean up my form. Bench press felt okay. I failed on the forth rep of the 2nd set and then went back down to 90kg. Powercleans didn’t feel that great either.

Overall I really don’t feel the session was that great. I went later in the evening so maybe I had less energy. I just didn’t want to workout on Sunday. Lol
    Last edited by Korbine; 01-29-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Wrong date

starting strength coach development program
    January 29th 2018

Workout A2

Squat: 135kg 3x5

Press: 60kg 1x5 1x2, 55kg 1x5

Deadlift: 120kg 1x5

Notes: Squats felt much better. I made sure to achieve depth and it verified through video. Next session will be over 300lbs. Wow!

I felt a little bit of knee pain after Saturday’s workout. I think I may be letting my knees fall inward slightly so I’m going to pay more attention to that next session.

Press felt good. I didn’t complete all sets with 60kg but I did more than last time so I know I’m getting stronger.

Deadlift felt good.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast