starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ColoradoMinesCole OFFICIAL Training Log (4 months after starting lol)

Default ColoradoMinesCole OFFICIAL Training Log (4 months after starting lol)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, so I have been doing SS for 4 months now. I did NLP up until 3 or 4 weeks ago until when Jayson Ball suggested a modified Intermediate Program in order to increase volume and decrease intensity, which has helped some inflammation issues that were due to Lyme. I am getting better over time and I plan on switching back to NLP when the time is right. This post will be of 2 sessions before today's, because that is when I began posting log-like posts on facebook. If you have any questions of the make up of my modified program, feel free to ask.

I am Male, 5'9, 175 lbs. I started at 135 lbs a about a half a month after last semester started. I call it "First Semester Forty" (as opposed to Freshman 15).

Summary:
    12/30/2017
    Squats: 2x5, 1x8 @ 180 lbs
    Press: 3x3 @ 87.5 lbs
    Rows: 1x8 @ 95 lbs, 1x8 @ 105, 1x8 @ 110, 3x8 @ 115

The two main lifts today were of course squat and press.

Squat:

YouTube

This was a medium weight squat day. I have been having some confidence issues using Low-Bar squat (bar lower on the back), due to how precarious it can sometimes feel. I tried high-bar last workout to see how that was, but decided I wouldn't give up on low-bar. My squat rep count kind of was weird. I worked harder on Thursday than I had anticipated due to weight differences in High-Bar vs. Low-Bar, so I did 1x5, 1x5, and then 1x8, all with 180 lbs. Pain was not bad at all. The front of the right hip was also a non-issue today, which was wonderful. There was a bit of spinal flexion at the bottom of each rep, which could be eliminated by bracing better and not going quite as deep. Better to go just deep enough with a rigid back than lower with a flexing back. Next session is Heavy (205 lbs) so I will get to test my Low-Bar abilities well then.

Press:
    YouTube

Today was 3x3 at 87.5 lbs for Press. Probably could have done 5 reps for each set but I got to be conservative, and that is what the program called for. I could probably also hold the bar lower at the bottom. Shoulders felt fine during the Presses, but after the session, there is a bit of discomfort near the clavicle-shoulder intersection point. I have faith in God that this is nothing and that it will resolve itself.

The last movement was Barbell Rows, but those are boring so I won't post the video. They went fine but using RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) is so new to me that I probably did not use the right weight.

Summary:
    1/2/2017
    Squats: 3x5 @ 205 lbs
    Bench Press: 5x5 @ 115 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 220 lbs

Squat:
    YouTube

I tried a thumbs around for the whole workout for the first time. No irritation in the elbow and it was pretty comfortable. Thank you Lord! On the third rep I didn't brace as hard as the others so my back angle decreased as I came out of the hole. Felt good to not have to be distracted by the bar position and grip and just grind. I think I got rid of most of the spinal flexion which I am also thankful for.

Bench Press:
    1/2/2018 Bench Press, 115 lbs, Set 5 - YouTube

Today was volume day for my modified program, so 5 sets were called for. The last set shown felt slightly off compared to the other four. It didn't feel like I was as tight but nothing shows in the video and it wasn't to much of a distraction. I was able to incorporate leg drive well, which really helped me stay nice and tight.

Deadlift:
    YouTube

I am fairly pleased with this set. Not really any rounding that sticks out. Need to work on a more smooth descent that does not hit the knees. Progress is good!

Summary:
    1/2/2017
    Squats: 3x5 @ 165 lbs (80% 5 RM)
    Press: 4x5 @ 75 lbs (85% of 5 RM, should have been 80%)
    Paused Deadlift: 5x5 @ 135 lbs (Extra Set. Whoops)

Squat: YouTube

These went well today. Since the weight was lighter, I decided to do tempo squats with a slower descent, which also helped me be mindful of my positioning. Probably screwed up some of the descent timing, some descents being longer than others. Grip felt good again which is always a nice thing. The front of my hip was a tiny bit bothersome, but nothing that bad. The pelvis/low back felt great today. I worked on keeping knee sliding from occurring coming out of the hole and I feel like I accomplished it. Let me know if I overcompensated toning down excessive hip drive.

Press: YouTube

I accidentally chose 85% instead of 80%. That's alright. I feel like if I shoot the bar up to fast, I get out of control, so whenever I remembered, I emphasized keeping balance throughout the ROM. I tried shrugging even more than before, using the trapezius more, in order to allow more room for my shoulders to inhabit the overhead lockout position. Doing that I think threw off my balance a bit, and I'll see if I can make it sustainable.

Paused DL: YouTube

Somehow did 1 more set than planned. I find it slightly challenging to get the correct lower back position, because my stomach makes contact with the groin area. Any tips on how to be able to set lower back better? I don't want to impinge any of the soft tissue in the groin.

Summary:
    1/2/2017
    Squats: 3x5 @ 185 lbs (90% 5 RM)
    Bench Press: 3x3 @ 130 lbs
    Rows: 1x8 @ RPE 6, 1x8 @ RPE 7, 3x8 @ 125 lbs (Supposedly RPE 8, but still adjusting to using RPE)

So I filmed myself squatting from behind this workout, and it seemed like the bottom of my hips in the hole are uneven, but it might be just difference in Glute size or some preexisting anatomical difference. I tried squatting so that it would be fixed but I realized it was most likely not due to "off" form. I tried going really slow and brace really, really hard on the warm up sets and working sets to try and make sure that I actually was having good form in that respect. However, this meant I could not focus on other factors such as knee slide and back angle change, although they weren't too bad. Overall I say this was a helpful session, finding out more about my squats.

Bench Press: YouTube

These went well. I was able to stay tight, although I was really, really slow on the descent, which may have fatigued my arms. However, the tightness I maintained due to this was worth it. This is also a new PR and I am getting closer to plates! Sets of 3 are strange to me because they end so quick! I could probably get an easy 1 RM of 135 right now, but that is not in the program.

Rows: YouTube

I tried doing a kind of combo of Pendlay Row/Standard Row. Instead of setting the weight on the ground, like a pendlay row, I set it on the blocks so it was more like a standard row. The blocks allowed me to get a more normal breath in between sets, which allows for more weight. I think I will continue doing these. They are definitely better than standard rows.

Welcome. I'll keep watching and will probably comment from time to time.

Summary:
    1/9/2017
    Squats: 3x5 @ 210 lbs
    Press: 5x5 @ 77.5 lbs (90% of 5 RM)
    Deadlift: 5x5 @ 225 lbs

These went pretty well today. I had a little trouble keeping the upper back tight on the first two sets, but I think I fixed that in the last set. Additionally, I tried going lower elbows (than seen in this video), but I couldn't help but load my arms, which cause some elbow discomfort. I think I will keep the elbows the height shown in the video for now. Maybe I'll try to lower them on lighter days to practice. I also emphasized not allowing my knees to slide as much, and I think I did better, until the last rep. I also got bad sleep the night before, so I think these felt harder than they should have.

Press: YouTube

I tried something one could call the Press 1.5, because I artificially bounce the bar before each rep (to keep the bounce factor from 1.0), and yet breath at the bottom (like Press 2.0). They didn't feel much different than 1.0 in terms of each rep, but I think the breathing was a lot better, except I might not have been as tight. Additionally, my shoulders don't feel the best after this, so I might stick to 1.0 for now. The discomfort/pain in the left shoulder is strange because I can't seeing anything obvious in terms of form that could be causing it. Well next time I'll be 5 RM'ing so get hyped! #questfortheplate

DL: YouTube

These look very good on video. They also felt good in person. I am very happy to get back to #2platelyfe. Okay I'm sorry for the hashtags. I feel like I am bracing well, even without a belt.

Welcome. Is there a way to get chalk for your deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Is there a way to get chalk for your deadlift?

There is a no chalk policy. It is a school gym so that is to be expected.

Summary:
    1/9/2017
    Squats: 2x5, 1x8 @ 170 lbs (80% of 5 RM)
    Paused Bench Press: 4x5 @ 105 lbs (80% of 5 RM)
    Paused Deadlift: 3x5 @ 140 lbs

These were easy due to the lighter weight. I tried descending slower kind of like informal tempo squats. Also on the last set I decided right after the fifth rep to do 3 more because it was so easy and I wanted a challenge. After the first or second set, I sat back a bit more because my bar path had been forwards of center of mass about halfway through a rep, and this seemed to fix this issue. I also see a bit of spinal flexion, and maybe a wider leg angle could allow my stomach more room at the bottom.

Paused Bench Press: YouTube

Paused Bench was alright today. The benches at Mines are a little slippery, so incorporating leg drive is not always that easy. I might purchase a yoga mat to put on the benches to add more friction.

Paused DL: YouTube

It seemed as though I was able to set my back a bit better today. I decided to do 3 sets instead of 4 because I accidental did 5 sets last Wednesday, and someone was waiting for the platform. Not much else to say about these other than they felt great.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm curious: Why do you do 5 x 5 and 3 x 5 on Deadlift when 1 x 5 is prescribed?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast