Default Today = a + b * Last Session

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male

May 1966

6'
    235 +/- 5 (for past year or so)
    BF: BEI & Navy say mid 20's (probably higher?)

Default Some Details

HT/WT

Graduated HS about 5'10" / 165
    Likely hit 6' by soph yr of college. Also, hit 180 (thanks to IL Budweiser and Pizza Pit in Ames)

WT has been all over the place (between 175 to 240)

Activities

At various times: cycling (road and off-road), running, rec-league volleyball, lifting, basketball

Injuries

Nothing serious. Used to have low back issues that would put me on the floor for a couple of days.

Default Starting Strength History

Found Rip's CrossFit videos in 2012. The technique models made sense. Program research lead me to SS, SL & 5/3/1. Promptly chose 5/3/1 because it looked similar to the routines I did in the late 90's from the Men's mags at the time.

Bought SS:BBT and PP in 2013.

Started SL in fall 2014 because 5 is better than 3 and the empty bar is not intimidating. Also, just reset and keep climbing when you get stuck. A few errors in that logic!

Started lurking forums in late 2015, joined Jan 2016. Starting to better understand and trust the system.

Purchased BB Rx when it came out.

Compliance has always been an issue -- have yet to complete an LP and move to intermediate.

I have had two sessions with SSC Karl Schudt. The 2nd time, he was kind enough - after much badgering on my part - to provide an estimate of what I should be able to lift with compliance to the program. This was quite helpful in quieting the voices in my head.

Default Dungeon - 01/08/2017 - 6pm

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x5
    145x3
    185x1
    225x1
    250x5x3

Bench
    45x8,7
    95x5
    135x3
    160x1
    180x5x3

Deadlift
    135x5
    225x3
    285x1
    315x2 DOH-H (mental)
    225x5

Tunage
    April Wine: Stand Back & The Nature of the Beast

Was sick with cold/flu last week - training was spotty. Squats were not pretty. Form drifts horribly when I miss sessions. Flat gave up on DL. 1st rep flew up.
    Last edited by mangen; 01-09-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: tunes

I'd say, pay attention to Karl. Not only is he a good coach and a great man but he can beat the crap out of most people.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'd say, pay attention to Karl. Not only is he a good coach and a great man but he can beat the crap out of most people.
    carson -

I have no intention of challenging Coach Karl to a Heart Punch Duel!

And thank you for quickly noticing and commenting on my log. After two years of reading theses forums, I would have felt slighted if you ignored me.

I think I'd have a good time meeting you. Karl got me involved in SS over 5 years ago just before our retirement. We moved to Michigan and now work with Dr. Sullivan at Greysteel. Karl and I remain good friends.

I'm glad you enjoyed my adventure as recorded on the forum and I'm glad you are back into lifting.

Why not plan on coming to the Fall Classic in Chicago in October?

Default Correction: Today = a + b * Session #

Thanks to all who have viewed and didn't feel the need to point out the stupid statistician can't even figure a simple linear equation. In the anxiety of creating the log, I failed to review my notes. All the more reason to be consistent for a month and move to the intermediate section.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post

Why not plan on coming to the Fall Classic in Chicago in October?
    The last time I sat at a show of strength contest (bodybuilding), I was drained when it was over as I watched the whole thing with every muscle flexed.

Competing? I tend to be competitive in team sports where I can hide.

Default Dungeon - 01/10/2017 - 5PM - 60 min

starting strength coach development program
    Squat

45x5x2
    95x5
    145x3
    185x1
    230x1
    255x5x3

Almost skipped 3rd set as left hammy was having some issues. Voices: "Skip the last set and lift another day" vs "don't be a brittle nut sac, do the set." It's a little twitchy now.

Press (on the courtyard)

43x5x2
    78x3
    98x1
    118x5x3

The dungeon was built in a time when people were malnourished and shorter. Therefore, I must carry a bar and the weights up the stairs to the courtyard so I can do a proper standing press. Additionally, I have to "clean" the weight to rack position for each set. Karl said seated presses were not an option. 40F was better than -10F last time.

Carrying the weights up/down the steps and bending over to change weights taxes the lumbar region. So I deadlift on bench day - not press day.

Chins (in the stables)

BWx2x5 EMOM

Had not done chins since Christmas day. These went better than expected. Quite a bit of moisture in air, bar was a little slick.

Tunez

Y&T: The Best of Y&T (1981-1985) @ 11 cuz Meniketti
    Last edited by mangen; 01-11-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast