starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brian's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    One more intermediate programming scheme to consider is The Bridge by Barbell Medicine. I looked into a few options and I found this program to be a good next step. They seem to have a good appreciation for how "grindy" the last few weeks of the LP are so they program accordingly. They use RPE to help you adjust your training intensity to match your abilities on any given day. The ebook is readable in an hour or less. The Bridge | Barbell Medicine

They just posted a new video podcast about programming today actually: YouTube
    Last edited by MikeRichard; 03-27-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks Mike, I looked up The Bridge after you mentioned that you would be moving to it. It looks interesting. I've read through most of it as part of my research. I'm going to finish Practical Programming and The Barbell Prescription before I make a final decision on what I want to do. Right now I'm tweaking by adding a light day with a couple of variations on the core lifts. I'm also increasing the frequency of the Press and Bench Press by doing both each Training Session. We'll see if I can squeeze everything into the time that I have. Here is what my first variation on the program looked like today.

3/27/2018
    MORNING:
    Press: (135#) 5/5/5 This is a 10% reset from my top weight.
    Pin Squat: (225#) 5/5/5 I cut my top weight by 1/3 to start these.
    Bench Press: (210#) 5/5/5 NEW PR!

LUNCH:
    15 minute walk on the treadmill at 3.1 mph
    Lat Pulldown with chin grip: (110#) 15/15/15
    I plan to use the lat machine at work twice a week until I can max out the 200 pound stack. I have been unable to complete a chin-up pulling my chest all the way to the bar.

EVENING:
    Deadlift: (300#) 5/5/5 20% weight reduction for my light day.

Video Training Journal

This all felt pretty good today. My plan right now is to run back up on the press in LP fashion. Use the Pin Squat every other workout also increasing in LP fashion while adding smaller increments to my heavy days. I'll probably add close grip bench for a light day and just alternate light and heavy days on the deadlift with smaller jumps on the heavy days. I should work the schedule out so that I will be doing two heavy and two light lifts each training session. This is my short term plan until I'm done with the books and find what I want to try next.

starting strength coach development program
    I was on vacation for the first week of April. We went camping with our Travel Trailer at Missouri State Parks near the St. Louis area. Apparently we didn't go far enough south because it was a very cold week to be camping. I got sick right before we drove back which led to me feeling awful the following week and not lifting until Saturday. Including vacation and the week of being sick I missed a little over two weeks of lifting. Coming back I dropped everything by 10% and I'm now working in accessory lifts and targeting heavy days to be on Saturday. My schedule has made it hard to get three workouts per week in lately but here's a catchup listing of my workouts since vacation.

4/14/2018
    PRESS (10% Deload): 135#/3/5
    SQUAT (10% Deload): 310#/3/5
    BENCH (10% Deload): 192.5#/3/5
    DEADLIFT (10% Deload): 330#/1/5

Video Training Journal

4/14/2018
    CLOSE GRIP BENCH: 150#/3/5
    PIN SQUAT: 225#/3/5
    PRESS: 140#/3/5
    DEADLIFT: 340#/1/5

4/21/2018
    PRESS: 145#/3/5
    SQUAT: 320#/3/5
    BENCH: 200#/3/5
    DEADLIFT: 350#/1/5

Video Training Journal

No new PR's lately but I'm working back up to my top weights and plan to push through them within the next couple week.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234