starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting after 40... Novice in TX

Default Lifting after 40... Novice in TX

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been lurking for a couple weeks figure this was a good place to stop and start posting.

I am a 42 year old grandpa. I have 2 beautiful grand kids and hope for many more. I also want to be fit and strong to be able to deal with them.

So It began...

October 4th of 2017 I started scouring the web for a weight lifting program that worked for me.

I found Strong Lifts 5x5. Started pretty low which i like since i had not touched a barbell in 25 years and was liner which i also liked.

Here are progression numbers from that program.
    5’10”
    208lbs- 216lbs

DL 90-180
    Press 45-80
    BP 45-115
    Squat 45-100
    Barbell Row 75-125

I got to the point that I felt something was missing. 3.5 months and Although I had made progress I had never really thought much about form and mechanics and had a couple of injuries along the way. Minor but they did slow progress. Also grew sick of the barbell row.

Then I bought the book SS BBT and read it cover to cover. Then found the app. Then switched. I had a lot of work to do.

I started the program on Jan 15 2018

Squat 120
    Press 75
    DL 180

Jan 17 2018
    Squat 125
    Bench 120
    DL 190

Jan 19
    Squat 130
    Press 80
    DL 195

Jan 22
    Squat 135
    Bench 125
    DL 205. Got an announcement on the app to start power cleans!

Jan 24
    Squat 140
    Press 85 (5,3,3)
    DL 215

Squat felt good. Obviously press sucked. I was running late and could not give a solid 5 min rest between. Gonna have to stop waiting on the wife to leave for the gym. DL felt good. Tough but good. Back tight as hell afterwards and for rest of day. Not hurt or injured but tight. Thinking about adding a belt now to at least during my DL. Felt that if I was able to push against it with my abs I may be able to stop using my back so much and use entire core.
    It was my back I injured in SL not using appropriate form so I am always weary.

Currently weigh 216 which I am not upset about. I am not trying to loose weight right now. I am trying to get stronger. Ill worry about the weight later.

Anyhow looking forward to getting advise and help from the many people I have seen helping others.

Welcome. You perceive correctly. Weight is not a problem. You may gain a little doing the program but it will be muscle. After LP you may wish to lose a little but no worry. I'm 5'10" and have weighed between 215 and 220 for the entire 5 years of my lifting.

See an SS coach asap to correct any technical problems and to avoid injury. There are some, so I hear, down there in Texas.

Press always sucks but then technical assistance from a SS coach should help with that. The belt is even more valuable for the squat but it is helpful for the DL as well.

Check on the website SSCA : Coaching to see if there are any SS coaches near you. We obviously don't know where you are in Texas (and it's a BIG state), but, not surprisingly since it's the home of WFAC, there are a number of coaches around the major cities.

As little as two hours of coaching from an SSC can go a LONG way in correcting form for the lifts, if you have time/money/travel to a city constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. You perceive correctly. Weight is not a problem. You may gain a little doing the program but it will be muscle. After LP you may wish to lose a little but no worry. I'm 5'10" and have weighed between 215 and 220 for the entire 5 years of my lifting.

See an SS coach asap to correct any technical problems and to avoid injury. There are some, so I hear, down there in Texas.

Press always sucks but then technical assistance from a SS coach should help with that. The belt is even more valuable for the squat but it is helpful for the DL as well.
    Thanks. I’ll look into getting connected with a SS coach.

Quote Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
    Check on the website SSCA : Coaching to see if there are any SS coaches near you. We obviously don't know where you are in Texas (and it's a BIG state), but, not surprisingly since it's the home of WFAC, there are a number of coaches around the major cities.

As little as two hours of coaching from an SSC can go a LONG way in correcting form for the lifts, if you have time/money/travel to a city constraints.
    Will do. San Antonio.

Good day at gym.

1/26

Squat 145 3x5
    Bench 130 3x5
    Power Clean 45 5x3.

Have not done power cleans since I was 14 and I am sure I did them wrong then. It was fun. I ended up getting a bar and a few bumpers to start the garage gym. Big box I go to only has 1 good spot to clean and it is often being used. They also don’t allow chalk so it won’t be long before I quit there anyway.

I swear I fail every other press work out. Oh well. Still progressing.

Tried the hook grip today on deads. Starting to slip a bit on work sets. Gonna try to keep going for a bit before I strap the work sets. I know my grip strength can use it.
    Last edited by droach3; 02-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Today’s session is a prime example of why you should eat well. Sleep well and not drink too much alcohol. Felt weak today and on my last warm up set on squats at 150 I lost my balance and thankfully didn’t hurt myself. Fell forward into uprights. Took it upon myself to recognize that there was a problem and de-loaded down to 135. Bench was ok and cleans were as well. Gonna try and go back up to 150 on squats Wednesday after some good rest and recovery.

Picked up some adidas squat shoes and really enjoyed them for squats. They are tight as all hell right now but I suppose that is not a bad thing. Nailed my 145x3x5.
    Added curls and did 3x3 with a 88lb offset.
    Press was fail day at 95. Did 5, 4, 3
    Then to DL...
    Tried leaving the new squat shoes on for DL. Failed miserably at 245. Could not even get it 6 inches off. Pulled 10 pounds off and tried 235. Nope did 1 rep and just was feeling like I was gonna hurt myself.

Initially was planning on grabbing some slides to throw on for DL. The I listened to BB Logic podcast and they are talking about having their LP Novices DLing in squat shoes to help engage the quads.

Well ok. I’m your huckleberry. Ill pull 20 more off next week and see how it goes.

starting strength coach development program
    Had one of those days at the gym where everything just clicked.
    Did a couple things different. Started going 30 min earlier so that I could actually do all the warm ups and take the appropriate rest between sets without rushing.
    Hit my protein volume for the first time the day before.
    Gonna try and keep this rolling.

Edit to add weight now that phone is not dead.

SQ 150 3x5
    BP 140 3x5
    PC 85 5x3
    Last edited by droach3; 02-17-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Add weights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast