starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scots Tony's (belated) training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Chalk bought and ready to go!

Workout 9 (had to put this back in as I managed to delete it instead of editing it! I initially put Trevor Horn instead of Paul Horn, I have no idea why)

Squat - 70 x 5 x 3
    Press - 42.5 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 105 x 5 x 1

This was Monday's workout. Press was a real drag - almost every rep was a grind. Having read the press chapter, I think this might be technique related, and also an issue with shoulder flexibility. I don't think I can get the bar on my front delts, but I'll try next time. I certainly need to implement a shoulder flexibility routine. The Paul Horn stretch is having an effect, and usually into my second work set on the squat I can get into the position a little better.

In terms of nutrition, I struggled to hit the numbers the first week, I was eating too much, especially too much fat. (The guidelines are 275g protein, 300g carbohydrates, and 85g fat). According to Jordan's article, is probably time for me to drop 15g of carbs and 5g of fat, but if I'm being honest I'd rather have a couple of more weeks with numbers closer to the guidelines to see first.

I haven't got myself a belt or chalk yet, but since I'm approaching bodyweight for the deadlift it's probably time.

Workout 11

Squat - 75 x 5 x 3
    Press - 45 x 5,4,0
    Deadlift - 115 x 5 x 1

My first missed reps on the press. My two young kids aren't sleeping well, plus I'm trying to stick to 3000 calories. Not sure if it is as simple as this or if it's a technique issue. I may also try longer rest periods.

Workout 12

Squat - 77.5 x 5 x 3
    Bench - 57.5 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 120 x 5 x 1

Today felt much better. Perhaps the two days of rest over the weekend have helped. We shall see what happens when I press again on Wednesday.

Switched my protein shake to three scoops and skimmed milk rather than two seperate shakes with one or two scoops and semi skimmed milk. Hopefully this will help me hit the 3000 calories more closely while maintaining the protein intake.

Workout 13 (unlucky for me)

Squat 80 x 5 x 3
    Press 45 x 3,3,0
    Deadlift 125 x 5 x 1

Felt shit before this workout, and despite the squats going up OK, it went downhill after that. I appear to have hurt my shoulder, I think by sleeping on it funny, but that certainly hampered me today. One more attempt at 45 before I try a reset and get me some fractional plates. Deadlift was also the first one I had to really grind out, so probably time to introduce cleans. Still not slept well this week, so I'll replace Fridays deadlifts with a few sets of cleans to find my starting weight.

Workout 14

Squat 82.5 x 5 x 3
    Bench 60 x 5 x 3
    No deadlift - first sets of power cleans.

Shoulder still hurts. Tried power cleans but found them difficult. Will keep working on the technique. I was happiest at 45kg so I will start there for the work sets. I was looking to add chins in now as well, but since I haven't even attempted a chin up in years and years, I'm going to do a few sets of lat pulldowns until I approach body weight, and then I'll try sets of negatives and so on. I got a starting weight there of 60kg.

Workout 15

Squat 85 x 5 x 3
    Press 45 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 127.5 x 5 x 1

YES!!! I made all three sets of the press, despite expecting to fail and needing a reset. That will be my last 2.5kg jump though, so I'll get on an order those fractional plates and switch to 1kg jumps I think. I don't think I have too many more 2.5kg jumps on squats or bench either, but I'll wait until I think I might not complete sets before doing that.

Workout 16

Squat 87.5 x 5 x 3
    Bench 62.5 x 5 x 3
    Power clean 42.5 x 3 x 5

Shattered. Absolutely shattered. Felt like sleeping on the bench during my sets, but carried on.

I had been searching for a local ART practitioner and found one around 20 miles away. Sent messages etc, but they didn't get back to me. My shoulder pain has gone away by itself, so their loss I suppose. It does mean however, that I can skip straight to improving my shoulder mobility. It needs to improve to improve both my squat and power clean form. I do have a Kit Laughlin book so I'll check that out.

In other news, the fractional plates arrived from Strength Shop. 8 0.5kg plates for 30 quid seems OK. I can now move to 1kg jumps for the bench and press, and perhaps 0.5kg as that gets tougher.

It feels like I've been doing this routine for ages, but this is only week five!

I've been looking at Starting Strength Training Programs just to see where I am.

My starting weights were:

Squat - 50kg
    Press - 32.5kg
    Deadlift - 65kg
    Bench - 45kg

I'm now at:

Squat 85kg
    Press 45kg
    Deadlift 127.5kg
    Bench 62.5kg

So my squat is up 35kg (77lb), Press 12.5kg (27lb), Deadlift 62.5kg (137lb) and the bench up 18.5kg (40lb). All of those exceed what is in 'Phase 1' of the above link. It does make me question if my initial deadlift was too light, but my form was very poor then - bar hitting my knees and all sorts. I already feel it's improved, although far from perfect.

Now that I'm defintely into 'Phase 2', I'll continue to gradually work on accessory exercises to get me chinning (properly!) in time for phase three, which hopefully will be a few months time if I do it correctly.

I'm very happy with that so far, considering my general lack of sleep and tiredness. I certainly need to tighten up the nutrition though, as my weight as went up a kilo or so and my waist is slightly bigger at 43".

Workout 17

Squat 90 x 5 x 3
    Press 46 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 130 x 5 x 1

Oooft. Too much wine last night and not enough sleep meant this was a struggle today, but I made it. First 1kg jump on the press and it seemed OK, especially considering that the previous weight took three attempts.

Added in 3 x 12 lat pulldowns in an effort to start the slow road to proper chins. 60kg today, but didnt complete any of the sets. Will drop to 50 and see if i can do that, and start to progress from there.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout 18

Squat 92.5 x 5 x 3
    Bench 43.5 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean 45 x 3 x 5

Lat pulldowns 50 x 12 x 3

Nothing much to add here, but 1kg jumps are the way to go for the upper body lifts, most definetly.
    Last edited by TonyE; 03-01-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added in lat pulldowns

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast