starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric's Training Logs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    315! That's 3 manly plates on each side. Congratulations. Concerning the diet: There is a dietary section on this forum. Generally speaking 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight and lower carbs and calories. I'm 5'10" and crept up to 228. So, I've been on a 2000 calorie diet with 205 gr. of protein and 100-120 gr. of carbs. In 11 days I've lost 8 lbs. I expect to be down to 210 by the end of this month. Low carb and high protein is the ticket.

3/2/2018
    Squat: 315x5x3 (I was getting unbalanced in my squats. I realized that the bar was too high. Lowered it, and I both found my balance and got full depth again after missing full depth in a few of the warmups.)
    Press: 162.5x5x3 (difficult fist set but it got easier with the successive sets.)
    Deadlifts: 320x5x3 (Had a training partner today, so I went heavy with him observing my form. I'm starting to nail it and will practice as much as necessary. A big part is hip placement as well as pelvic tilt, the latter being something I've been especially messing up.i need to tilt the pelvis diwnward as I pull my back up. I think I got a good feel for it today.)
    Last edited by dfreric; 03-02-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks man! Pretty happy about that. My bodyweight's been dropping a little/staying even again. I eat mostly low-carb, which, prior to barbell training, has helped get all my blood numbers in line (I obviously engaged carb abuse via Doritos in an earlier part of my life, and now I pay the price), but I need to drop to 2000 calories but am weighing the pros-cons of such while still doing LP. Has it inhibited your strength gains, or did it during LP? Appreciate you insight.
    Last edited by dfreric; 03-02-2018 at 11:27 PM.

3/5/2018
    Squat: 320x5x3
    Bench: 275x5x3 (Made this jump on accident, but I put it up fairly easy. I just need to pay better attention to my own logs so I don't stall out too soon.)
    Barbell Row: 225x5x3 (I've succumbed to this for now. I'm not sure if it's optimal, but a power clean isn't worth the potential injury given that my wrist still hurts like hell.)
    Chins: (bodyweight 260) 6x3 (used neutral grip since that's all I had access to.)

I should not have written what I was doing as if it were a good thing for a novice. It isn't. I only plan to be on this diet one month. Then I will move slowly back up. In most cases a novice should not drop that drastically. The optimum is to check with a Doctor at your weight. Or check out the nutrition section and ask your questions there. For what it's worth a slight decrease in caloric intake combined with 1 gram of protein per body weight per day. E.g. if you are consuming 3500 calories now drop to 3000 calories but with 250 grams of protein. But again, at the least check with the nutrition section of this forum. Frankly, my nutritionist recommended a less severe drop for me than I am taking but I don't like the flab. I'm only trying to drop around 15 pounds. You may need to eventually drop more.

No doubt about dropping more, and you seem right on regarding your insights about when to do it. I absolutely need to drop more weight for any number of reasons. I think I'll continue to let LP play out and hit the weight harder, but I'm seeing some weight progression as well! I'm getting stronger while staying the same weight. I can't but see that being a good thing. I'm hopeful in my capacity to drop at least 20-30lbs after this initial phase. 225-230 is where I've been in great shape before, even without the strength. Im going to pay more attention to my total macros and calories for now. I suspect that I’m eating around 4000 rather than the 3000 I should be at.
    Last edited by dfreric; 03-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.

3/7/2018
    Squat: 325x5x3 (I can feel some fatigue, and these are beginning to get hard enough that I wonder if I'm nearing the starting point of LP. I'm hopeful that it's not, and that I'm just accumulating minor fatigue between workouts. Then again, that sounds exactly like nearing, without being at, the end of LP. I won't change any programming for now; I'll only up my protein until I start missing reps as I suspect that, without having been counting my macros well enough, I wasn't hitting 200 grams. If I am nearing the end of LP, I've got some good ideas on how to extend LP for as long as possible based on Barbell Logic. If I need to do so, I'll start hitting a lighter squat midweek. That said, I think I'm a good 2 weeks away from that, and I can reassess one workout at a time. I'd love to hit 405 in LP on my squat, and I think if I can continue to sleep, which has also been waning with sick kids, I'll be able to do just that.)

Press: 165x5x3 (Felt good. Was beating out some of the college football players on this one. Of course, 165 isn't that high of a weight, but we do this lift so little culturally that it's unfortunately better than most, even young men.)

Deadlifts: 335x5x3 (In terms of back and legs, this actually felt easy, and I'm realizing more definitively that my issues are in terms of grip on DLs. For my final rep, I picked up the weight with a switch grip, which I'll start using on my last warmup and work sets from this point forward. I really don't like the feel of the grip on my shoulders, but I'm having more success with it than hook grip based on the size of my hands. It's fine not liking the grip to get my DLs to 405, a thought I really like and that I can hit much sooner than I thought, making some 10-15lb jumps again. It's also worth noting how much of a difference a good bar makes. I've been working out in a gym for students, and it has a crappy, mild knurl, chrome-plated bar. It slips out of my hand. I used the Rogue Ohio bar in the football gym, and it stuck a lot better. I'll pick up the B&R when I've time to put together a garage gym this summer.)
    Last edited by dfreric; 03-07-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Are you able to use chalk in that gym? Also, hook grip hurt like crazy when I tried it a few months ago and I abandoned it until a few weeks ago. I can just about do 295 with the hook grip without it hurting too much. I suspect I'll be passing that mark soon. There's a video around on this website giving tips on the hook grip. Have you seen it? It may be of some help. It's designed for people with small hands. Mine are girly in size.

Good to know on the hook! I'll look for the video. I use a liquid chalk, which works okay, but I think the chrome plating just sucks. So it goes. I'd actually rather use overhand throughout most of the workset on the deadlift, but my worry is that I need to warm up that particular grip. I felt it in my shoulders, but I bet it would be fine if I warmed that particular action up.

starting strength coach development program
    3/11/18

It's going to be a long two weeks. I couldn't get into a weight room for my last workout last week, so I'll have two weeks straight of 48 hour rest periods. I may compensate by eating more protein, dropping either chins or barbell rows, or doing an altogether light day one day. This is another reason I'm putting together my own garage gym: I don't want to miss workouts because of closures.

I've also been thinking a lot about my deadlifts. So as to keep moving them up, I'll use straps for a bit, but I'm going to do all my warmups with the hook grip. When I get my thumbs used to it, I'll move to the hook on my last warmup and work sets and overhand on the rest of my warmups, even if I have to bump back some weight. It's really just the grip that is preventing me from deadlifting more, and however important grip is, I'm working it in other ways right now as well.

Squat: 330x5x3 (These felt relatively easy. It may have been the days off, but I also suspect it was the 5, as opposed to 3, minutes I took after each work set.)

Bench: 280x5x3 (These felt great, but started to grind a little. I'm moving back to 2.5lb jumps simply because I have to workout mostly on my own. May make a 5lb jump if I have a workout partner.)

Barbell Row: 235x5x3 (Did these with a supinated grip for once. Not sure why I wasn't before, but I just didn't think of it. They moved a little slower but were just fine. I'll do 5lb jumps and try to catch these up with bench. Despite some conversations suggesting the contrary, I want to keep these prior to chins if only for the practice of extending my back properly for deadlifts.)

Chins: (bodyweight ~260) 5, 6, 5 (I should have pushed one more on the first set, but I did these too soon after barbell rows.)

Dear God I miss using the good Ohio bar in the athlete's weight room....
    Last edited by dfreric; 03-12-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast