starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Eric's Training Logs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/18/18

Intermediate Training

Press w/belt: 157.5.5 (RPE 6), 165x5 (RPE 7) 170x5 (RPE 8)--Just absolutely nothing exciting here.

2 ct Pause Squat: 350x4, 365x4, 375x4--I seem to be underestimating my squats in general, but never having done pause squats has doubled this down. I’ll push it a bit more next time around.

Barbell Row: 220x8, 215x8, 225x8, 225x7.5--These didn’t actually feel that hard, but I couldn’t quite touch my chest on the last rep, and I wasn’t going to use too much of my hips. I’ll be a bit more conservative next time around.

5/20/18

Deadlifts: 375x5 , 395x5, 385x5--Dude.... Volume deadlifts suck. They wrecked me at the beginning of this workout. I used double overhand through warmups, hit one set with mix grip, and then had to go to straps. I'm hoping this specific adaptation to volume deads kicks in sooner rather than later.

Pause Bench, 1 ct: 245x5, 235x5, 255x5--Pause benches were harder than I expected for some reason, likely on account of never having done them.

3-0-3 Tempo Squat, no belt: 315x5, 335x5, 350x5--I made sure to go belt less, and I estimated these fairly well, although I thought I might have been able to hit a little heavier. The elbow isn't flaring up nearly as much, but I'm having to keep my hands pretty wide. I'll keep hitting the Horn stretch until I can get my grip in tighter.

I'll have to be careful at jiujitsu tomorrow. I'm fairly tired, despite the lower numbers, and I need to make sure I recover well enough. Also, I need to figure out how to rename this log to Big White Thighs. The name should last longer than Starting Intermediate Work...

I made a little barbell out of PVC for my girl, 3.5. She's having a blast screwing around with the thing.IMG_2837.jpg

I'll be damned if Rip isn't correct on the fact that the first thing we want to do with a barbell is lift it over our heads. He doesn't mention anything about the second thing: swinging it like a baseball bat.
    Last edited by dfreric; 05-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Intermediate Work

I went to jiujitsu on Monday and had some good rolls. We had some tough dudes there who are way above my belt, but I was able to hang okay. I’m getting some of the energy systems back even just rolling hard once a week. I’ll probably bring in the equivalent of a “light” rolling day as well just to keep adapting, so long as I don’t accumulate too much fatigue

Close-grip Bench: 240x4, 255x4, 270x4x2--I was absolutely dead for week 1 of intermediate work, so it was difficult to estimate where my numbers would be this week, where I’m much more recovered. I started out too low, trying to play it safe, and ended in the right spot.

Squat w/belt: 360x5, 380x5, 390x5x3--like my benches, this lift is stabilizing, and I should be able to slowly titrate these numbers up, at least based on the same rep schemes.

Chicken Strips: 1x4

Caesar salad: 1x1--Yeah... I had to ditch my workout for a work lunch for a bit

Rack Pulls, beltless: 335x7, 345x7, 355x7x2--I’m using straps with these. Again, I don’t want to tear something, so I’ll save mixed grip for the first 1-2 sets of my actual deadlifts.

Note: I just realized that I missed one set of my fives on squats. I had to go do them on my off day.
    Last edited by dfreric; 05-24-2018 at 02:08 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    5/25/18

Well, it probably makes sense for me to begin posting on the Intermediate forum, so I'm switching to it after this post. Either way, I’m now deep into a week of moderate volume, and I’m feeling pretty tired. My weights will likely go down for my Sunday lift, although I don’t want to nocebo myself into that expectation. I’m looking forward to the eventual adaptations that come with the increased volume.

Press: 160x5, 170x5, 175x5x4

Pause Squat, no belt: 340x5, 355x5, 365x5, 370x5

Barbell Row: 220x8x2, 225x8x3--I was plumb tuckered on these. Had to make a quick coffee to finish!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678