starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probably not doing the fucking program

Default probably not doing the fucking program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    22; Male; 6ft; 55kg

Have some military service under my belt. Got sick and medically discharged. Lost a lot of weight. Better now. Using strength training to put it back on.

Rough plan:
    -Go through SSLP for as long as possible, increasing body mass and strength
    -Once finishing up as an advanced novice, look at intermediate programming that can be paired with conditioning adequate for military service
    -Rejoin the armed forces stronger and better than before.

To say that I'm not interested in aesthetic improvements would be a lie. Losing so much weight and looking so sickly has been a hit to my confidence. Primary goal though is to build a base by which to decide whether further vanity is needed or if I just needed to not be severely underweight.

Default 19/02/2018 - Workout 1

Squat 45kg 3x5
    comfortable but this was the point by which the motion had slowed compared to the empty bar and so that is my starting point.
    Press 22.5kg 3x5
    'about right' but I think I may have been slow getting under the bar and so creating a moment-arm. also my hip rebound felt poorly timed. will make sure my understanding of the technique is fixed by Friday.
    Deadlift 70kg 1x5
    surprisingly nice to do. getting my chest up felt hard but the actual lift wasn't straining. probably was a little conservative with this. 75kg may have been where I ought to have gone.

My eating has been decent today.
    Woke up pretty early in the early-morning so perhaps under-rested.

I think increases of 5kg to squat and deadlift both for Wednesday is reasonable. On Friday I'm probably looking at 2.5kg increase on Press.
    Last edited by Pringle; 02-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Welcome. Do you have the books? If not then get them.

I was sorry to learn of your illness but compliment you on getting back on horse and getting on with life.

I wish you the best in your efforts both to gain weight and to gain strength.

Regarding your technique question: Are you able to post some videos on the technique section?

Default 21/02/2018 - Workout 2

Squat 50kg 3x5
    middle set was the most difficult. was after a short rest period so i think that's mostly to blame.
    Bench 27.5kg 3x5
    felt like my long spaghetti arms were flailing with the low weight. as it got heavier my motion got a little more controlled.
    Deadlift 75kg 1x5
    struggled a little with reps 2 and 3 - felt heavy. then i remembered to brace my abs and the set got easier. finished strong.

was still slightly sore when i got to the gym from monday. maybe i didn't eat enough. i'll eat more.

Do you have the books? Are you able to have some contact with a real SS coach?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do you have the books? Are you able to have some contact with a real SS coach?
    I have the books, yeah.
    Seeing an SSC might be more tricky, since there is only one I know of in the UK and he is ~4 hours away from where I live. Online coaching is a consideration I'm making.

I'm supposed to train today. Went to the funeral of a close relative where I didn't eat for 1/2 of the day and came back bummed out and drained. I'll go early in the morning (Saturday) and then back again Monday after work.

Default 26/02/2018 - Workout 3

Squat 55kg 3x5
    Felt good. I'm enjoying squatting most right now.
    Press 25kg 3x5
    Bar path is still poor I think. Will probably end up uploading soon over this.
    Deadlift 80kg 1x5
    Hard set. When I do eventually struggle to get all 5 two sessions in a row, do I add power cleans or drop the weight increases down first?

Had a poor weekend. Disappointed with myself but getting back on with it.
    Last edited by Pringle; 02-26-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Default 28/02/2018 - Workout 4

Squat 60kg 3x5
    Hard but doable. I could probably squeeze another 5kg rise or two out of this before coming down a little.
    Bench 30kg 3x5
    I actually did 10 reps on the last set lol. I like bench press. It feels easy right now.
    Deadlift 85kg 1x3
    Damn. First 2 were okay form-wise but had to really squeeze out the second and I didn't get my chest all the way up + bad form with third before failing.

Do I drop to 2.5kg increases or 1.5 times a week deadlift, and what do I lift next time I have a deadlift session?

starting strength coach development program
    Gym closed due to adverse weather conditions. Will update in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast