starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kat's Novice Log-7 weeks in

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Start the hook grip with the warm up lifts. Then each week move up the weight in which you use the hook grip. E.g. Week 1 Hook grip at 135 and 225. Week 2 Hook grip 135, 225, and 275. Week 3 135, 225, 275 and 300. By the fourth or fifth week you may be able to do your top weight with the hook grip. Rip has a video out on the hook grip but I think lifters need to toughen ones thumbs up in order to use the hook grip. At least I find I need to do that.

Well the wrist is still twanging.... But I got the lift so whatever for now. I did have a scheduled chiropractic appointment and she spent a lot of time with me and all the aches and pains I was feeling went away so I'm thankful for that.

Weight: 186

Squat: 271x5x3 Still felt heavy, but I'm starting to notice that the second workout of the week is easier than the first. My lower back was on fire though after my workout. Not sure what's going on with that, I typically have that while unloading the deadlift so I don't know.
    BP: 170x5x3 I liked today. The weight went up pretty easy, but my right elbow was hurting after my last set. It might have been resolved by the trip to the Chiro because I wasn't thinking about it until just now.
    DL: 225x5x2 70% deload. Same old story. Felt light as it should.
    Chins: 9x6x5 Still don't have that 10 for the first set, but I did add a rep to the last set.

Side note:
    I feel that I have had a hard time with recovery after daylight saving time this year. Everything just feels off and I've been mentally out of it every session this week. I hate to sound like a child, but I'm thinking it has something to do a disrupted circadian rhythm. Whatever it is, I hope I get it figured out or it resolves itself soon.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Start the hook grip with the warm up lifts. Then each week move up the weight in which you use the hook grip. E.g. Week 1 Hook grip at 135 and 225. Week 2 Hook grip 135, 225, and 275. Week 3 135, 225, 275 and 300. By the fourth or fifth week you may be able to do your top weight with the hook grip. Rip has a video out on the hook grip but I think lifters need to toughen ones thumbs up in order to use the hook grip. At least I find I need to do that.

I did just this. If I'm remembering correctly, I did 310 with hook grip then went to 315 and almost dropped it. I'll keep working on it. I don't mind the pain as all of this is painful, but I don't want to have to recreate a rep because I dropped it. Man it sucks being genetically average lol.

"Man it sucks being genetically average lol.'

I wonder if that is what Bruce Jenner thought?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    "Man it sucks being genetically average lol.'

I wonder if that is what Bruce Jenner thought?
    As a man he competed at a higher level than I could ever achieve. He might not have been the best athlete at his level, but that is a far cry from genetically average especially when compared to the general population which is the only reasonable comparison to make.
    Last edited by CarteringKat; 03-16-2018 at 09:54 AM.

I guess the wrist is back to normal. Felt a bit more grindy today and at the same time not as grindy. Its a weird feeling, but even today tired from the week felt better than Wednesday.

Weight: 183.5

Squat 274x5x3. It went down and it went up. Warmup is incredibly uncomfortable in the back of my arms as they stretch out. It was really bad like this when I started and fixed itself as I got used to the position, but now its terrible every time I get under the bar for the first set. My low back was pretty tired at the end of this.
    Overhead: 125x5x3. Same as the squat, up and down. This felt a lot harder than Monday's 122.5. Might have been tired.
    Deadlift: 325x5. This felt pretty good today. Saw stars after my second set of one, but kept chugging along at my pace and that went away. The sets of one have just enough time to take a breath and reset my bracing. Probably way less than 10 seconds.
    Dips: 10x15x15. I did it! I'll add 1 to the first set next time I do these until I have sets of 15 across. These felt pretty rough after the OH. I don't know if it was related or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CarteringKat View Post
    As a man he competed at a higher level than I could ever achieve. He might not have been the best athlete at his level, but that is a far cry from genetically average especially when compared to the general population which is the only reasonable comparison to make.
    Yes, yes, of course. I was just trying to reflect on why he wished to become a woman.

starting strength coach development program
    Yay another injury! I think. I felt a pull or a pop or a shift in my ribs on the right side on my second DL today. Finished the set though so...

Squat: 277x5x3. I definitely have trouble on Mondays. I don't feel as tight and I was having a bit of a problem maintaining my back angle out of the hole today especially towards the end. I'll watch this and see if focusing on it will fix it.
    BP: 175x5x3. This was pretty easy today. Worked in with a guy that is doing 5x5. Made getting a lift off less awkward.
    DL: 330x5. Other than the fucked up problem on my right side ribs the weight felt decent. Last rep was a little slower than I would like, but it moved. I'm surprised I keep making 5lb progress on this. I'm worried I'm going to end the LP early and get stuck if I stick with it for more than a few weeks especially if I don't work cleans in sometime soon to allow for more recovery.
    Chins: 10x7x5. I have no idea what the hell happened here. They just felt amazing and kept coming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12