starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Reverse NOT

Default Stuck in Reverse NOT

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I have been reading Rip's book over and over again and i have been training since 2012 and the progress is slow because I am kinda go with no direction and simply not doing the program right or doing too much accesssories exercise. Anyway, I'm a 39 year old male, weighs 95kg, and here's my bits:

I am doing the program with a slight modification:

1. Bench Press will be replaced with Dumbbell Bench Press, reps scheme will be 3x10. My body just respond better with dumbbells. My chest stretches better, my lats feel better. Press will be done with 5x5 rep scheme.
    2. Deadlift working set(s) will be done with a 3x2 rep scheme with minimal rest time during the sets. The reason I am doing doubles is because I am alternating my alternate grip, because hook grip is very very painful after all these years.
    3. I will put Power Clean on hold because I want to focus on the deadlifts.
    4. Pull up and dips will be done almost everyday with body weight only, no fancy scheme, just do AMRAP on Pull Up and Dips. I am up to 9x reps Ring Pull Up and 15x reps Straight Bar Dips.

Enough said, here's my today, Saturday, Jan 19th 2018 training:

Squat
    BW x 5 x 3
    EMPTY BAR x 5
    60 x 5
    100 x 5
    130 x 5
    140 x 1
    147.5kg x 5 x 3 -> ADD WEIGHT NEXT WORKOUT

Press
    Empty Bar x 5 x 3
    30 x 5
    40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    62.5 x 5 x 5 -> ADD WEIGHT NEXT WORKOUT

Deadlift
    50 x 5
    90 x 5
    130 x 5
    150 x 2 x 3 -> ADD WEIGHT NEXT WORKOUT

Thx

You have either reached your linear progression limit and need to focus on intermediate methodologies (actually that is what you are doing) or you are a very stubborn fellow. Why not consult online with a SS coach?

Progress on bench will be extremely slow using dumbells, especially using a rep range of 10.

I would suggest going back to barbell bench press, do your 3 sets of 5, then once you've completed that take a pair of 40 pound dumbells and do one set with AMRAP of dumbbell bench press.

Two birds with one stone.

It's raining all evening and night here in Jakarta.

Here's what I manage to squeeze in for today's workout.

Pull up: 9 reps.
    Dips: NOT DONE

SQ 150kg/ 337.5lb x5x3 --> Yeay....

DB BENCH 2x40kg/ 90lb x7; 7 --> The reason why I am not doing barbell bench is because after doing it...my right shoulder kinda feel funny and it "clicks", but nothing weird after doing dumbbell bench, and thus...the modification. My target is do 3x10...better luck next time.

DEADLIFT 170kg/382.5lb x2x3 and I did it with no rest between sets...yeah!!!

Rest day tomorrow, and will post the next workout.

Thank you all. And have a nice day.

Hi All,

Still raining all day and night here in Jakarta. One of those raining days.

Anyway, just want to share.

Pull Up: 10 reps, yeay...
    Dips: 15 reps...yeay...

SQ: 152.5Kg/ 343.1lbs x 2 reps...:-( And then failed the next set and for the third set...I am so finished.

Press: 62.5kg/ 140.6lbs x 5 x 5, yeay...

DEADLIFT: Not Done, planned to do the next day. I am too tired. I don't know why...maybe to many things on my mind. :-(

Bottomed line...too much thoughts, unhappy thoughts leads to no gain. I will try to clear up my mind and hopefully I can lift better.

Cheers guys!

Thank God It's Friday!

I cannot recall whether it is raining heavyly or not today...oh...it rained today...heavily. :-(
    Anyway, I did my Deadlifts 172.5KG/ 388.1lbs x2x3, with alternating alternate grip and minimal rest...I think I did that right. Weights feel a little bit light...unlike the usual. Maybe because I did my training at late evening. :-)

Cheers.

Saturday!

SQ 152.5Kg/ 343.1lbs x 5 x 3...Yeay...
    DB BENCH PRESS with 2 second pause at the bottom: 2x40kg/ 90lb x 7 x 3, still reaching to 3x10. :-(
    DEADLIFT 175KG/ 393.7lbs x1x6...will do the same weight again for the next workout.

Over and out.

Tuesday, 29th of Jan

SQ 155KG x 2 ; 155KG x 4; 155kgx 4; Will repeat the same weight next workout.
    PRESS 47.5x 5 x 5.
    DEADLIFT 175KG x 1 x 6, feel a little bit lighter than the last workout.

Thursday, 31st of Jan 2019
    SQ 155KG x 4; 155KG x 0 and I did not do the third set. I feel so burned out. Maybe I should get more sleep. I slept less than 7 hours for the past couple of weeks. :-(

That's it. Press, I didnt to, and Deadlift...body still felt too weak. :-(

SATURDAY, 2nd of February 2019

Down with the cold, but I managed to sneak in a couple of workout and so here it goes.

SQUAT
    140kg x 5 reps

PRESS
    60kg x 5

DEADLIFT
    170kg x 1 x 2

After a good night sleep last night, I feel a little better. Hope I will do a better workout on Monday. :-)
    Cheers and happy weekend, guys!

starting strength coach development program
    WEDNESDAY, 6th of February 2019.
    Happy CNY!

Cold is gone. Body feel good but...my right hand index finger feel funny. Anyway.
    SQ
    155KG x 5
    155KG x 5
    155Kg x 2...the barbell kinds of slipped...:-(
    155Kg x 0...I am so done.

PRESS
    70KG x 5

And that's it. Taking too much time on my phone, but too little time under the barbell. I will do a better workout tommorow. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast