starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greaps Training Log

Default Greaps Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, 31 year old 6'3'' 282lb male high body fat%. Following starting strength and hoping to have a strong novice progression. My goal is to become stronger and decrease body fat %.

I am a novice, and plan to follow phase 1 as outlined. The only modification I plan to make is to change the rest days to work with my shift schedule. I will take two days rest between each workout. I have completed two workouts at this present time and my most recent exercise history has me presently stronger in the upper body than lower, and I look forward to this correcting.

The diet plan is to consume 3200-3700 calories per day, I will commit to no alcohol. Calorie range selected from Barbell Medicines how to be a beast. Its a range within recomposition and fat loss.

WORKOUT 1
    Squat 115X5, 115X5, 115X5
    Deadlift 135X5
    Bench Press 135X5, 135X5, 135X5

WORKOUT 2
    Squat 125X5, 125X5, 125X5
    Deadlift 155X5
    Over Head Press 80X5, 80X5, 80X5
    Last edited by Greaps; 12-20-2017 at 05:49 AM.

WORKOUT 3
    Squat 135X5, 135X5, 135X5
    Deadlift 165X5
    Bench Press 145X5, 145X5, 145X5

Rest between sets is 4:00m

+Warm Ups sets not documented, for squat its about 6 sets, Deadlift 3-4, and bench 2.

+Additional Dead Lift Practice in the form of singles for a complete setup, probably completed about 10 more reps total doing 2-3 setups then taking a break. Next workout I intend to do additional squat practice.

+I am reviewing starting strength's phase 1 and it appears it should be close to the example laid out as far as expected weight jumps during these first few workouts.
    Last edited by Greaps; 12-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Default Plans

Looking forward to more time in phase 1. For phase 2 I have been looking into the power cleans or barbell rows and being I don't play sports and don't have a coach, I will be going with barbell rows. And it seems the normal sets and rep scheme is 3X8.

What is your height?

Hi Carson, updated first post to include it, I am 6'3''.

Good start. For your height you aren't excessively heavy but may not wish to gain any more. Good start. You should do well.

WORKOUT 4
    Squat 145X5, 145X5, 145X5
    Deadlift 175X5
    Overhead Press 95X5, 95X5, 95X5

Rest between sets 4:00m

+Warm Ups sets not documented, for squat its about 6 sets, Deadlift 3-4, and overhead press 4

+Foam Rolled and stretched hips prior to workout, this helped immensely when bent over pulling the slack out of the bar I could feel myself sink into my hips while maintaining hip height

+Squats felt better, again the foam rolling and stretching helped. I also learned bar and wrist / hand placement per Mark Rippetoe and my elbows feel better. I actually felt a little banged up after last workout, but after today's I feel great, stretched out

+Overhead Press I didn't own the plates to do a +5lb jump, and its why I did the +10lb jump. Honestly it felt good, I improved my hand / wrist position per Mark Rippetoe. Bar speed was slowed but I didn't have any sticking points

+Weight 289lb I am eating more carbs, lower fat, and more protein than my normal diet. According to Barbell Medicine, its normal to pick up a couple lbs for someone like me starting out over the first two weeks and it should slow down and reverse with small adjustments as I get used to eating more protein and establish more of a routine to how I eat.

+I am moving to +5lb jumps across all lifts from now on, but still plan to deadlift every workout for a while longer until I feel I cannot recover quick enough.

+This may sound lame, but deadlifting 175X5 for me felt strong, deliberate, its my favorite exercise. Following this program and constantly reviewing all the online resources at starting strength, I can easily imagine a 225lb pull and even a body weight pull in the not so distant future. The system feels right. I have never payed so much attention to how to do these lifts step by step, I have never trained and ate like I am now, everything about this program feels purposeful.
    Last edited by Greaps; 12-22-2017 at 09:24 AM.

In my estimation it is the best program ever devised. It's safe and predictable. I remember playing around with weights over the years but I had no idea what I was doing. It was boring and produced nothing. But this program is very carefully devised and a great joy. I've also met some of the finest people I've ever met through this program.

WORKOUT 5
    Squat 155X5, 155X5, 155X5
    Deadlift 185X5
    Bench Press 155X5, 155X5, 155X5

Rest between sets 4:00m

+Posting video of squat and deadlift on youtube for a form check which I'll post here and on the other sub forum, reviewing it myself I see some issues, ill comment when its done uploading

+Squat is feeling so much stronger, warm ups reps with 135lb felt so easy

+Decided to make another+10lb increase across the board after listening to a mark rippetoe podcast "if you have not added 10lb to the squat and dead each workout for the first 5-6 workouts YOUR NOT DOING THE PROGRAM" and following his word did not lead me wrong the lifts moved along without any problems

+Phase 1 still has legs, I may have started a little bit conservatively but I don't regret it and to be honest getting tight and in position was not comfortable for the first few workouts so I am glad I took the extra time.

Default Squat 155x5 form check

starting strength coach development program
    YouTube

My own novice review is I lose tightness at the bottom, squatted to low, causing flexion of the lower back, and knee slide.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast