starting strength gym

Thread: Old and weak

Default Older Novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 58 years old, 178cm tall (5'10"), weigh 67kg and have decided I need to get stronger. I do a lot of regular exercise, mainly cycling, which accounts for my low body weight but I've never really trained for anything. I started CrossFit last autumn, got injured with Achilles tendinitis and had to take a break since January. I just discovered SS through the UK Guardian article, read the book and started training. I really hope to make progress but after a lifetime of not being strong, which must reflect my genetic constitution, find it hard to believe it will work well for the likes of me - although I hope it does.

These are my starting stats.
    Squat 35kg
    Press 25kg
    Deadlift 60kg

Wish me luck
    Last edited by Mike Carlton; 03-20-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Welcome. I did not start until I was 66. It is good to start at your relatively young age. If you live in or near London check out the certified SS coach who lives there. If not check out online coaching. It can save an injury. Keep at it and you will gain strength. And eat.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll soon have to change the name of your log!

Cheers guys. Looking at the stats about online training it seems I might get a 40-50% increase in my numbers over the next 3-4 months, if I follow the program

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carlton View Post
    Cheers guys. Looking at the stats about online training it seems I might get a 40-50% increase in my numbers over the next 3-4 months, if I follow the program
    And avoid most injuries.

By the end of April, after 5 weeks SS training (and a week off for a family holiday) my numbers have changed significantly.
    Starting stats. Current stats
    Squat 35kg 66kg
    Press 25kg 35kg
    Deadlift 60kg 112kg

My bodyweight is up from 66 kg to over 69 kg as I've given up on just eating plants, aiming for 3000kCal per day with extra protein and milk.

I'd like to see more weight on my press but guess that will come with gains in my overall strength, body weight and technique. I've added the bench press and power cleans to my program, which is now 2 SS sessions weekly, a couple of CrossFit workouts for fun and a weekly ride with my cycle club.
    I'm so glad to have found SS and look forward to posting better numbers over the summer.

Mike

Nice progress! Try not to get too caught up where your numbers are vs where you think they should be. Keep showing up at the gym, eating and recovering. This is as much a reminder for myself as advice for you.

Hell of an increase on your Deadlift there! Good work. You ever find crossfit interferes with your strength work?

Interesting that you came from the Guardian article also! I saw that and wondered if anyone would find SS through it.

Really pleased with deadlift but maybe started light and now it's feeling heavy. My legs are strong from regular cycling but my arms are weak for the same reason.

I'm only doing 2 SS sessions weekly as I enjoy Crossfit and try to fit in 2 workouts per week. It's also where I access the barbell. I spend a day on the bike with my cycling buddies which leaves a couple of days for rest and recovery. I could do another SS session if I dropped one of the others but I enjoy my mixed training, I'm never going to be a competitive lifter and it seems a reasonable balance

starting strength coach development program
    Nice work, Mike! I'm a year older and just a few weeks ahead of you on my strength adventure.