Thread: New Old Guy Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Week #2/ WO#2

Squat: 140 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 55 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 175 x 5 x 1

I didn't have trouble finishing the squats but I was definitely aware of the fact that I had a heavy weight on my back and that things could go wrong. Not paranoid or really worried, just...aware. I started thinking about how one fails at a squat without a spotter. My safety bars were too low. Anyway, just a little mind game. Think I may ask for a spot next time.

Bench was good...no pain with a narrow grip. If I widen the grip I still get a sharp pain at the bottom making it difficult to push off.

Deadlift felt heavy. Think I'm rounding my upper back.

My next several days are crazy; I've got a meeting and a rehearsal after work tonight, tomorrow night I've got a gig 90 minutes away, making for a late night. Training Saturday morning, then taking Mom to my aunt's (and her sister's) funeral 100 miles away, will definitely be a late night after all the family stuff. Sunday I need to be at church early for a musical run-through then I'm playing at the Easter service, followed by the family extravaganza at our house. I'm still planning to train early Saturday morning, but already thinking of duplicating today's weight rather than increasing.

I guess I'm not the first one to find the weights getting heavy at the same time life accelerates to 100mph!

Nice work Sinker. Keep it up and you'll be putting up numbers that you never thought you would.

While you should never plan to fail make sure that you do plan for safety. I've missed re-adjusting the safety bars before squatting too and it caught me one day when they were about 6" lower than they should have been and I couldn't put the weight back up. I got out safely but it was not a good situation.
    Last edited by Righteous Strength; 03-29-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks, RS! I don't plan to fail, but I do need to know how to do it without causing major injury.

I feel good. I didn't think that I would. (Sorry, James Brown).

I had a gig 90 miles away last night. I'm not too old to rock-n-roll, but I AM too old to be hauling gear down to my basement way past my bedtime!

I've got another busy day, so told myself that if I woke up before 6:30 I'd go train, if not I'd just skip a day. I woke up at 6:00, and a promise is a promise. I felt kind of achy-tired from Thursday's session, and was thinking of just duplicating those weights rather than adding, but by the time I had a cup of coffee and got to the gym I felt fine.

Week #2/WO #3

Squat: 145 x 5 x 3

My warmups felt great. Good depth, good flexibility. I stepped back with 145 and my first set was a piece of cake. 2 minutes later 145 felt VERY heavy. I completed the set, then asked for a spot for set #3. Maybe it's just the security of a spotter, but my 3rd set great, even easier than the first!

Press: 45x2, 30x5, 30x5
    Since I was at the rack I decided to try pressing 45lbs. The first rep was ok, with just a slight pinch in my shoulder, but the 2nd one just plain hurt. And I've got a low pain threshold, so I backed off for the last two sets.

Deadlift: 180 x 5 x 1
    I really concentrated on bracing my back, and these felt ok. I'll likely have to try a hook grip soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sinker View Post
    I'm not too old to rock-n-roll
    Neither are Ian Anderson and Martin Barre.

Nice start.

Quote Originally Posted by mangen View Post
    Neither are Ian Anderson and Martin Barre.

Nice start.
    Yeah, but they've got roadies!

Thanks, I'm having a blast lifting...and learning stuff about myself.

When the safety bars are set I'm not sure a spotter is of much worth on the squat at least not at these weights. A spotter is good for the bench press, however. I know from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    When the safety bars are set I'm not sure a spotter is of much worth on the squat at least not at these weights.
    ‘These weights’ are the most I’ve ever squatted, and I definitely felt more confident with a spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by sinker View Post
    ‘These weights’ are the most I’ve ever squatted, and I definitely felt more confident with a spotter.
    I am curious, what would a spotter do? To help me understand your need for a spotter you may wish consult with a starting strength coach or post a video of your squat on the technique section.
    Last edited by carson; 04-02-2018 at 03:34 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    WO #7

Squat: 150 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 60 x 5 x 3
    Dead: 185 x 5 x 1

Weekly measurements
    Weight: 191lbs (+1)
    Belly at navel: 37.5" (-0.5)
    BF% (Omron): 22.9% (-0.6)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast