starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 year-old Rank Novice in pursuit of Strength.

Default 50 year-old Rank Novice in pursuit of Strength.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone! My name is Randy and just turned 50 years old last October 2017. I have been “working out” aimlessly since 2011 in the pursuit of getting an aesthetically pleasing body with visible abs (yeah, that guy) but was failing miserably and only gained meager results. I only became serious with strength training when I chanced upon a workout program that emphasized the big threes, which were the squats, presses and deadlifts early this year 2018.

When I researched further on how to perform the lifts, I eventually saw and watched the Youtube video series of the Art of Manliness that featured Mark Rippetoe teaching Brett Mckay how to do squats, presses and deadlifts. I continued to watch more videos on Starting Strength, especially from the actual SS Youtube Channel.

I was totally intrigued by it, especially with Rip saying that “stronger people are harder to kill” or something to that line. I used to work out to pursue visible abs, but the more I learn about strength training, the more I was convinced that pursuing strength is more beneficial. I was hooked and bought his book to read more about strength training and eventually bought the official Starting Strength app to help me track my training.

I was doing the linear progression and actually was getting good results since I started last January of 2018, but sometime in March of this year I started to stall as the weights became heavier. I also noticed how my form was breaking down the heavier the lifts were. Here were my stats by mid-March:

Squats: 215 lbs x 5 x 3 sets
    Press: 100 lbs x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench Press: 140 lbs x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift: 240 lbs x 5 x 1 set
    Power Clean: barely there, still learning the mechanics.

I started to lose form as the weights become heavier, mainly my fault as I may have allowed bad habits to creep in. I also may be in too much of a hurry to be able to lift heavy. Dang ego!

I decided to re-boot and start from the beginning, even deleting the SS app so I can start from the very beginning. I also re-watched the Youtube videos and started to read the book again so I can get back to basics and re-learn the mechanics of the lifts. I decided to start this log for accountability. It’s just the right time too because as of this writing the month of April is about to start, so it will feel like I will be starting on the very first day of a month.

Current stats as of end of March 2018:

Weight: 177 lbs.
    Height: 5’9-3/4”

First session of re-boot, March 28, 2018:

SQ: 160 lbs x 5 x 3
    OP: 75 lbs x 5 x 3
    DL: 190 lbs x 5 x 1

SQ - focused on keeping bar at mid-foot, bounce at the bottom and hip drive.

OP - focused on hip thrust and shrugging at the top of the lift.
    DL- focused on dragging the bar up the shin and leg and making sure the bar is in contact with leg through the lift. Also, made sure chest was up.

I have been having trouble getting a good night sleep since March. I was training in the morning and will train in the evening to see if that will change things. Dirty bulk diet at the moment, but will attempt to rectify it in the coming weeks.

Oh, and saving up money so I can eventually hire a SS coach in the future!

Apologies for the long-winded introduction. Happy to be here!

It's good that you started the gold standard for strength development. When you begin to stall at 10 lbs. jumps for squat and deads and 5 lbs. for the presses move to 5 lbs and 2.5 lbs. respectively until you stall. You will then being moving into advanced novice. Your gains will then be measured by weeks and months instead of each session. Post some videos on the technique page. A face to face with a certified SS coach is extraordinarily valuable but don't forget the opportunity of online coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    It's good that you started the gold standard for strength development. When you begin to stall at 10 lbs. jumps for squat and deads and 5 lbs. for the presses move to 5 lbs and 2.5 lbs. respectively until you stall. You will then being moving into advanced novice. Your gains will then be measured by weeks and months instead of each session. Post some videos on the technique page. A face to face with a certified SS coach is extraordinarily valuable but don't forget the opportunity of online coaching.
    Thanks for the advice, Carson. Not sure if there's a certified SS coach here in Alberta. Saving up funds for online coaching too.

April 3, 2018

SQ: 165 lbs x 5 x 3
    BP: 115 lbs x 5 x 3
    PC: 65 lbs x 3 x 5 (no bumper plates, starts from hang position)

SQ - Bar tends to roll up my back at the bottom, so maybe I need to tighten my arms, chest, shoulders back more during the movement.
    BP - Focused on keeping my shoulder blades together all through out the movement.
    PC - SS app suggested I switch DL with PB since I was able to DL my body weight. This is such a hard movement to do! I am able to rack the bar, but it's after the jump and trying to rack it that I am having difficulty. The bar tends to fly higher, never consistently just racking on my shoulders. Plus, I am just not explosive during the pull, so the bar tends to move slow during the rack. I will try to keep at it, but thinking of switching to the Power Snatch since I think I can perform that movement better.

Also, thinking of doing 10 lbs jumps instead of just 5 lbs next session, as squat and bench press feels light.

Quote Originally Posted by randymsantaana View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Carson. Not sure if there's a certified SS coach here in Alberta. Saving up funds for online coaching too.
    There used to be a certified SS coach in Ontario but there are none now. Online coaching may be your only regular avenue. Come on down stateside. Check the coaching section of this website for area coaches. An occasional face to face can help.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    There used to be a certified SS coach in Ontario but there are none now. Online coaching may be your only regular avenue. Come on down stateside. Check the coaching section of this website for area coaches. An occasional face to face can help.
    Thanks, Carson! I might go the online coaching route as soon as I save up enough funds. Coming over stateside may be in the works too as soon as I find out which state to go to closest to Calgary.

April 5, 2018 Session 3.

SQ: 175 lbs x 5 x 3
    0P: 80 lbs x 5 x 3
    DL: 195 lbs x 5 x 1

SQ: Bumped weight 10 pounds more this session as 5 pound increase was light. I was able to solve the issue of the bar's tendency to roll upwards when I go down by cue-ing chest out and engaging traps. That seems to tighten my grip and lock everything in my upper body. I also feel like I am not afraid to go deep and below parallel; I was not able to take a video but I asked my wife if I was going consistently low and she said yes.

OP: Focused on tightening core during the hip thrust and shrugging the shoulders at the top. I also made sure to keep my eyes looking front all through out the movement.

DL: Concentrated on keeping chest out to maintain neutral spine and to break at the hips when lowering bar, keeping bar always in contact with leg and shin during the pull and back down.

Overall, very happy. Have not been tracking my meals but will make an effort to do it.

April 7, 2018 Session 4.

SQ: 180 lbs x 5 x 3
    BP: 120 lbs x 5 x 3
    PS: 45 lbs x 3 x 5

SQ: Tendency to tip forward on the way up, but was able to cue myself to correct it by tightening lats, chest out and sitting further back.

BP: Concentrated on maintaining an arched back and shoulder blades together, lats engaged as well as bar path. Pushing bar up towards rack posts.

PS: Switched from Power Clean to Power Snatch as I feel more explosive with the snatch. I could never rack the bar properly over my shoulders during the clean; my wrists are in such an awkward angle that it hurts! Long forearms compared to upper arm, and not matter how I try I just can't get my elbows to be in up position during the movement. Rather than risking injuring my wrist I made the switch and practiced with just the bar.

April 10, 2018 Session 5.

SQ: 185 lbs x 5 x 3
    OP: 85 lbs x 5 x 3
    DL: 200 lbs x 5 x 1

The bar tends to roll up my back at the bottom of my squats. Can it be that the bar is too low on my back or is it my chest caving in at the bottom of the lift? I must cue myself to keep my chest out all through out the lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep chest up and keep tight all through the lift. Valsalva is our friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast