starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 56 and just starting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Went for a 72 hour rest, plus yesterday was the Colorado Rockies home opener... Had to be there in the snow and 24 degrees! They actually played but the damn Braves won despite multiple HRs by the Rocks.

4/7
    Squat 178-5-3
    Bench 161.5-5-3
    PClean 80-3-5 (still on a 5 lb progression, still easy)

Will do another micro progression on Monday then hold for the rest of the week. Except PCleans +5 lb and Chins +1 lb
    Then next Monday will add 5 lbs to squat, PClean and deadlift, 2.5 to Press, Bench. 1 lb progression on Chins

4/9 - 179 lbs
    Squat 179.5-5-3
    Press 100-5-3
    Dead 238-5-1
    Chins +10.5-8-3

Felt pretty strong today... finally finished out the press! Dead getting heavy in the hands. Losing grip...

Well, got the week off. Going fishing here in Colorado. No lifting till Thursday. A nice 72 hr pause. Cheers to squatting my weight today!

After re-reading a section of Prescription Barbell, I’m moving to 1 on & 2 off. Since I train at home it shouldn’t be a problem. I will plan to hit 2.5 lb adds to squats and deadlift & 1.5 lb adds to press and bench. I’m hoping that 1 more recovery day will make a difference before removing work sets with back offs.

4/12 - weight 179 (5’ 11” @ 56 yrs)
    2900 - 3100 calorie average

Squat 182x5x3
    Bench 163x5x3
    PClean 85x3x5

With the 1 on & 2 off schedule.
    More recovery, less warmup reps...
    Beginning on Sunday will change warm-ups to:
    Bar x5x2
    60% x5
    70% x3
    80% x1
    90% x1
    100% x5x3
    (2.5 lb increase on squat, dead, PClean)
    (1.5 lb increase on Press & Squat)
    (1 lb increase on chin weight)

Hoping to keep progression for a few more weeks... at least.

4/15 Sunday 180 lbs (2800-3100 calories)

Squat 184.5x5x3
    Press 101.5x5x3
    Dead. 240.5x5x1
    Chins 11 lbs 3x8

Feel good, feel strong... no longer using the app, all hand written journaling now. Staying on plan, next training on Wednesday. Feels good seeing the weight continue to grow each session.

Good progress, jealous of the home gym situation when you can train without needing to wait for equipment.

Hopefully you continue to surprise yourself and find 3 sets of 5 going up for all the lifts continously for a while.

Thanks Gibby, the home gym is great... now going underused on those 2 off days
    Very positive on continuous progress...

Mike. I read thru your postings. When you list a weight and say "struggling", is your form breaking down or is it just a grind? If form breaks down, I would repeat the weight on the next training session. I think you have a lot left in the tank. Don't be in a hurry to jump to the Texas method. There are a couple good reasons to stayed on NLP longer if you can. The first is simplicity. This is as easy as it gets. When you move on to an intermediate program, it becomes complicated and more time consuming. Level of intensity's increases as well and it can become exhausting. As long as NLP s continuing to work, then you are making progress. Where you might expect to make progress in everything workout for NLP, intermediate programs usually become once a week or once a month. As you have discovered, getting a little more rest can make a huge difference. So if resting more keeps you moving forward, then get more rest.
    Also, NLP will end at different times fof different body parts, and different lifts. I hope this helps.

It does PizzaDad...
    Planning to keep up the NLP for another month, at least... still going for gains every session, but 2.5 lb, 1.5 lb depending. The ‘struggling’ on the squat was a bit about form but the Bench and Up Press were about the weight. Form was solid but strength was faltering towards the end of the sets.
    Seem to have found some renewed strength by resting an extra day and reducing my last 2 warmup reps by 1.
    Will hold off on Texas or any intermediate training.
    Will continue to gain, possibly repeat, and if necessary go for the week to week gain on certain lifts.

Again, thank you for your comments and observations... much appreciated.
    Cheers!

starting strength coach development program
    4/18 Wednesday, still 56 - 181 lbs - 5’ 11”

Squat. 185.5X5x3
    Bench. 164.5x5x3
    PClean. 90x3x5

Still making increases. 2.5 on Squat, 1.5 on Bench and 5 on PClean
    Squat form degrading on last rep of 1st and 3rd set. 2nd Set always seems to be my most focused and best.
    Lower back strain is only showing up on drives (in car) longer than 45 minutes... a little compression strain. This is much better than in previous weeks. A little strain on right bicep/tricep, made the last rep of the 3 work sets on the Bench slooow, but makeable. Wonder about the need for the Deadlift on Saturday... should I switch out to a different lift since I just did the Deadlift on Sunday... will decide later.
    Last edited by Mike Thom; 04-18-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast