Thread: Restarting the Novice LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    4/14/18
    Squat: 230x3x5
    Press: 110x3x4
    Deadlift: 280x5

Press notes: Missed rep 5 on every work set. In all cases, I just wasn't able to get the bar over my forehead on the fifth rep. I'm not sure what the proper thing to do is at this point - I've switched to 2.5 lb jumps, I'm resting plenty between sets, and eating plenty and getting plenty of sleep. Maybe the answer is even smaller jumps?

Deadlift notes: Lockout on rep 5 was (to put it generously) sloppy. I think this was due at least in part to the bar slipping out of my hands. I was hoping to put this off longer, but maybe it is time for me to implement the switch or hook grip. Either that or I need to be stricter with myself about squeezing the bar hard. Also, I'm not sure if I should repeat 280 again due to my sloppy lockout.
    Last edited by tgabe9; 04-14-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Repeat, but switch to reverse grip or to hook grip. You do use chalk, correct? You may be nearing your LP limit and entering something like advanced novice or beginning intermediate. What do the coaches in Chicago suggest?

Yes, I've been using chalk. I haven't been to see the coach I worked with since before restarting the LP but I've been meaning to set something up with him. Another thing maybe worth noting is that I bought a B&R bar which has a slightly larger diameter (.5 mm) than the bar I had been using at the gym. I'm not sure that would make an substantive difference though.

4/17/18
    Squat: 235x3x5
    Bench: 145x3x5
    Power Clean: 75x5x3

Power Clean notes: I keep nailing my right clavicle toward the center of my chest. Need to figure out how to clear my chest more.

You won't know until you go.

starting strength coach development program
    Coaching is ideal.

Until then, it sounds like you are "floating" the bar. This is partially solved by adding more weight. You started pretty light, but it'll be heavy soon enough. Without seeing a video, I would have to guess hittle the clavicle would be the result of not getting your elbows up fast enough, possibly in an attempt to avoid chopping your throat. See a coach, post a video, and make sure your rack is like the book says.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12