starting strength gym

Thread: Starting !

Default Starting !

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Worked out about a year, didnt take it too seriously. Now I am.

Im making good gains, think my form is good ... but I want to do it right ...

Heres myself

Height: 6' 2"
    Weight: 140 lbs

Yeah Im underweight, so my goal is to gain weight. So thats where I need some advice, and also where Im a little confused. Obviously Im gonna workout to gain muscle mass and weight, so heres my confusion ...

Ive read on forums when doing my own research that people debate if its Protein or Carbs that are most necessary for muscle growth. Now I was always under the impression its Protein primarily, but Ive read people adament about it being Carbs. I want to keep myself on the right path.

My goal is ...

Protein: 140 grams
    Carbs: 300 grams
    Calories: No fucking clue, I cant honestly say I can eat over 2,500 without throwing up.

I also want some food suggestions, Im going Brown Rice for Carbs, Cottage Cheese and Fish for protein.

I eat organic. I dont eat shit, I dont eat sugar. I dont eat gluten. I cant eat Peanut Butter.

Thanks for helping me start.

Welcome. You are really underweight. If you eat 300 g of carbs a day you are certainly getting enough. You are way low on protein. Hike it up to 200 g or more. You will need to increase your calories.

BTW How old are you?

32 years old, when I was skateboarding a few years ago I weighed like 155 but got less active. Whats a good suggestion for increasing calories ? Also can I lower the carbs ?
    Last edited by plasma1010; 04-16-2018 at 03:04 PM.

You should up your calories to between 3000 and 3500 or maybe even more. You will have a tough time gaining strength if you don't gain weight. I think you can lower carbs a little. Increase carbs just prior to your lifting and then back off a bit on non lifting days. Carbs give energy. Proteins build muscle. You really need to increase your weight to 200 +.

BTW What are your lifting numbers? Have you seen an SS coach?

Okay so I will focus on Protein and Calories primarily, do you have a reccomendation on a healthy food(s) high in calories ?

No I want to do the online thing soon once I get my food in order.

Squat: 120
    Deadlift: 180
    Bench: 90
    Press: 70

Protein and Calories go up, yes. I think online coaching has its advantages but occasional face to face is invaluable so you can fully understand what you are being encouraged to do. It can save you injury and can help make your gains consistent.

For diet I would suggest: 1 gallon of milk per day, plenty of beef and chicken, whey protein, and yogurt. East like it's going out of style. Our 40 year old son is about your height and weighs about 170. We always encourage him to eat. At 140 you are in the area of being way, way, too skinny.

Yeah I got ya on that, Im probably going to eat 2 sticks of butter a day, that will get me into 2,200 calories easily with that alone. Im going to have to work up to it though I cant go from where Im at now to 3,500 Id probably pass out, might take a week or two.

Well, yes, you will have to work up to it. Do you eat meat other than fish?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes I do, eggs and birds mostly though I like pork. I find fish and shellfish to be nice and fatty and protein rich.

Thanks Carson, as far as upping the calories going forward, should I just watch my weight and when I stop gaining, raise the calories ?
    Last edited by plasma1010; 04-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.