starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 36 and Just Starting

Default 36 and Just Starting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hail Coach Rip and Barbell Barbarians everywhere!

36 year old, 5'7", Chinese-Filipino dad, based in Duterte town (Davao City), Philippines.

Arrived this way through The Art of Manliness blog (Hey Brett!), specifically The Strenuous Life program. Been working on my Barbell Badge using the SS novice program for 3 months now.

Have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying (trying to do) "The Program", as well as reading the articles and SS 3rd Ed, getting inspired by the Youtube vids (Gus and Brian Jones' vids), and listening to the "padcasts" (they crack me up). You're doing some mighty good work here coach.

I can also attest that the benefits of doing SS go beyond the physical to the mental aspect as well (the discipline of showing up for each session, the grind, finding motivation, etc.). And to develop the social side, I'm submitting my first ever post to this great community right here.

Results thus far...

START = 01/16/18
    Weight = 115 lbs
    Squat = 100
    BP = 75
    Press = 50
    Deadlift = 155

Diet = 2,300 - 2,500 cal including 1-2 scoops of flavored whey protein isolate daily (eating is even more challenging than hitting the gym for me)

TODAY = 04/21/18
    Weight = 128 lbs
    Squat = 177
    BP = 122
    Press = 67
    Deadlift = 188
    Powerclean = 90 (just added)

Some Questions To Start:

- So I know that I've been sorely deficient in the diet department (genetically, we are on the slender side), so given my stats, what's a good calorie/macro goal going forward?
    - Does a high protein diet make you feel crabby?

Thanks guys!

Good start and it's good to note that you recognize your need to eat. Shoot for 2500 to 3000 calories and 170 to 180 grams of protein. A high protein diet has made me as mild as a sleepy cat. My fellow lifters can attest to that.

@carson Thanks for the encouraging reply and pointing the way. I'd hate to meet a cat on a vegan diet for sure

However, I just observed that ever since I've started lifting seriously and upping the protein, that I've been feeling more aggressive, serious, and irritable. Still can't quite put a finger on it yet. Possible T spike?

Coffee?? Caffeine??

I take a shot of stovetop espresso with my milk in the morning and a cup of plunger/filter coffee in the afternoon pre-workout. Do I need to increase?

Considering my low body weight, I decided to do a 15-20% reset on my lifts and eat like crazy:

04/25/18 WORKOUT
    Weight = 129 lbs
    Squat = 110
    BP = 80
    DL = 160

Will this help me to milk the Novice LP for all its worth?

Caffeine can make a person jittery and sometimes aggressive but you don't seem to drink much so I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes, changes make us jittery or aggressive. Try to learn and remember new computer technology makes me aggressive. Perhaps when you do the program a few more weeks you won't feel so aggressive. In any event if it is a serious problem for you and it keeps up, go see a Doctor.

I love caffeine (in coffee in particular) and as I understand it's the go-to power drink for old school lifters. Might actually increase my breakfast dose and see how it affects my performance. I'm starting to enjoy using myself as a guinea pig.

I was so crabby and negative yesterday that I actually skipped a workout. But I slept 8 hours last night and it seems to have significantly improved my mood. Time to get bank to the grind!

Workouts:

4/28/18 @ 129 lbs Bodyweight
    SQ = 166
    OP =55
    PC = 67

4/30/18
    SQ = 177
    BP = 102
    DL = 168

5/3/18
    SQ = 177
    OP = 55
    PC = 45 (Deloaded to work on form)

5/5/18
    SQ = 177 (redid since I realized my depth was still too high)
    BP = 111
    DL = 177

5/7/18
    SQ = 188
    OP = 65
    PC = 75

5/12/18 @ 131 lbs bodyweight
    SQ = 177 (chickened out and deloaded)
    BP = 111
    DL = 188

5/14/18
    SQ = 188x1x5, 199x2x5 (grinding...)
    OP = 65
    PC = 75x2x5, 75x2x4 (failed last rep)

5/17/18 @ 132 lbs bodyweight
    SQ = 199x1x5 (bad form, no spotter), 199x2x5 (with spotter, grinding)
    BP = 122 (Felt strong)
    DL = 199x5 (Felt strong!)
    CHINS = 5

LEARNINGS (THUS FAR...):
    1. To be a beast, eat like a beast
    2. 8 hours sleep = better lifts (and life)
    3. Expect more of your body and it will rise to the occasion (especially in sub-optimal body conditions)
    4. When people around you notice the changes, you must be doing at least some things right
    5. So far, getting stronger has me feel more substantial, connected (to the ground), confident, well-balanced, and useful. Thanks Coach!

starting strength coach development program
    Way to Keep pushing up, Mark... I’m at a SS Seminar this weekend and wow did I have some form to work on. Your numbers are awesome and I’m sure the ‘feeling’ is similar. Keep it up Mr. 36 yrs old guy!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast