starting strength gym

Thread: Forty-something ex-runner doing Linear Progression

Default Forty-something ex-runner doing Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

47 next month. 6'1", 190 lbs. Was a recreational runner for the last 20 years (marathons for first 10, but mostly halfs and 10ks the last 10 years). I've always done a bit of weightlifting during that time (1-2 days per week), but never with a lot of purpose.

Last fall, I decided that I would try to focus on strength training for a while and happened across Strong Lifts 5x5. I downloaded the app and decided to give it a try.

Starting Weights (probably a bit low for a starting point). Nov 3, 2017

Squat: 110 lbs
    Bench: 100 lbs
    Row: 60 lbs
    Press: 55 lbs
    Deadlift: 140 lbs

Shortly after this program, I read Starting Strength and appreciated the detailed explanations for the lifts. Tried to incorporate technical elements into my lifts, but stuck with 5x5 and wasn't sure I could perform Power Cleans properly.

I used linear progression on 5x5 and stalled at 285 lbs on squats in early February. Also, I began to experience knee pain. I deloaded 10% on squat, press, and bench at various points and then started microloading (2.5 lbs) on press and bench.

Restarted linear progression on squat and finally made the switch to low bar squat. Also decided to switch to SS as the 5 sets seemed like too much and I felt the SS program had much more legitimacy than 5x5 (and started power cleans). Have stopped running altogether in the last few weeks and here I am with the following for the last 2 workouts:

04/20/2018
    Squat 290x5repsx3sets
    Press 117.5x5repsx3sets
    Deadlift 335x5repsx1set

04/23/2018
    Squat 295x5repsx3sets
    Bench 212.5x5repsx3sets
    Power Cleans 115x3repsx5sets
    BW Chins 11, 8, 4

All the lifts are getting quite difficult to hit 5 reps. Experiencing knee pain outside the workouts (it's ok once I'm warmed up). I think that my knee pain is occurring because I have too much knee bend vs. hip bend on the descent. Have watched Rip's videos and analyzed my own video - further investigation required!

On the learning front, read Practical Programming recently as well (except Advanced section) and have been working my way through the podcasts.

300 squat tomorrow. We'll see how that goes...

Great progress! I was a recreational runner too, and found the nagging aches and pains I felt when running went away when I started strength training. Are you able to visit a Starting Strength Coach? There's no substitute for live face to face coaching, but you can also get feedback in the Technique or Starting Strength Coach Q&A forums.
    Last edited by Mike Barry; 04-25-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Welcome. Have you gained weight during your SS program? Why are you doing 5 x 5 instead of 5 x 3?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Have you gained weight during your SS program? Why are you doing 5 x 5 instead of 5 x 3?
    Thanks Mike. Stopping the running has helped a nagging achilles issue that I had for > 1 year, but I swapped it for this knee stiffness/soreness. I have been trying to self correct here before engaging an SS coach. I live in Vancouver BC and there is a coach listed on the SS web-site. Been debating between an SS online consult / coach vs. in-person, but I've heard Rip say that in-person is always preferred to online.

Hi Carson. I have been doing 5x3 for the last month. Started with 5x5 only as I was doing Strong Lifts, but switched over to SS method about a month ago. I now realize that the SS method is much more grounded in science and analysis. It also has a roadmap from Novice to Intermediate that will be beneficial assuming I get through the Novice stage.

I have gained about 7-8 lbs (mostly since I stopped running). I suspect that if I want to get strong, I am going to have to modify the diet (i.e. up the protein) and gain weight. I only eat meat 2-3x per week and doubt that I would get anywhere near the 1 g/lb that I've seen mentioned in SS articles / books / podcasts. I ask myself if the weight gain guidance pertains more to the younger athlete vs. 47 year old man. I am picking up the book Barbell Prescription here later today and curious to see what diet and nutrition guidance I will find in there.

Rod

Meat and whey are your friend. As we age we need as much or more protein than when we are young to counter the natural decline. I consume 195-205 grams of protein per day. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 220. I'm 71 years old.
    Last edited by carson; 04-25-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Meat and whey are your friend. As we age we need as much or more protein than when we are young to counter the natural decline. I consume 195-2015 grams of protein per day. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 220. I'm 71 years old.
    Thanks for the tip! I have upped my milk consumption and will look into some protein powders (Costco sells a bunch here). I have seen Rip's sample meal plan in PPST - it'll be an adjustment for me, but I'm quite interested to see what kind of strength and size gains I can make. Cheers.

Today's workout.

Squat: 300x5x3
    Press: 120x5x3
    Deadlift: 340x5x1

Last 2 reps of third work set for squat was tough. And then barely squeezed out 5th rep of deadlift. I find that my grip is the limiting factor.

Picked up Barbell Prescription tonight - looking forward to reading it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RowdyStick; 04-25-2018 at 10:03 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday’s workout

Squat: 305x5x3
    Bench: 215x5x3
    Power clean: 120x3x5
    BW Chins; 12,8,8

For squats, focused on knees out and hip drive. Knee stiffness over this past night was a bit less than night after previous workouts. Maybe turning a corner on this knee pain after workouts!