starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength after another program (or lack thereof).

Default Starting Strength after another program (or lack thereof).

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    36 year old male, weight of 195 at 5'10". Here's more of the background: https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ogression.html

I'm starting this log 3 workouts into the program. I followed Mr. Hill's advice (linked above) and started the squats pretty light. The jumps have been a little big since then, but I feel like I'm adapting from the switch from high to low bar fairly well.

Overall I feel good. The biggest question for me now is whether I move to phase 2 or try to keep the deadlift frequency high for another week or two. My lower back feels a little tired, but I certainly haven't hit a wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Here's how the last three workouts have gone:

Day 1:

Squat 135 5x3 - The weight felt very light, but the low bar position was awkward, particularly for my lower back and inner thighs
    Bench 135 5x3 - Felt lite
    Deadlift 275 5x1 - Felt like work but not too hard

Day 2:

Squat 165 5x3 - Felt good. Much less awkward, but I hadn't settled on the best foot position or degree of forward lean
    Press 95 5x3 - - Felt like work but not too hard
    Deadlift 280 5x1 - Felt like work but not too hard

Day 3:

Squat 185 5x3 - Felt very good. I think I found an optimal foot position for me (narrow) and degree for forward lean. I need to work on not squatting so far below parallel.
    Bench 140 5x3 - Felt light
    Deadlift 285 5x1 - Felt a little harder. I'm thinking about adding in power cleans now but not sure

Remain on linear progression until you can't do it. That is, when 10 lb. jumps get to much, drop to 5 lbs. The only way one can tell if one has reached the limit of phase 1 LP is when you reach the point that you can't do it more. That's when you shift.

Workout 4: Felt good tonight. Long workout because I’m getting my bro in law into it. He’s 6’2” and 220, much bigger than me, so it will be interesting how quickly his strength catches up to mine. I’m really hoping he stays with it so that I have someone to get competitive with.

Squat 195 5x3 - the best I’ve felt in low bar so far. I think the position is starting to click for me
    Press 100 5x3 - felt like work but not bad
    Deadlift 290 5x1 - felt pretty hard but not a grinder. Used a hook grip. No straps

Workout 5:
    Squat - 205 lbs 5x3
    Bench - 145 lbs 5x3
    Deadlift - 295 lbs 5x1

Workout 6:

Squat 210 5x3
    Press 105 5x3
    Deadlift 300 5x1

So I’m really wondering how long I should be deadlifting 3 days a week. I keep adding 5 lbs to the bar so I’m inclined to stay the course. At least for another workout.

Also still making 5 lb jumps with the press. I’ve hit a 120 lb single before and a 135 lb push press so maybe 105 for fives across isn’t that heavy.

Squats are feeling heavier. I’m now at 5 lb jumps, and bar speed has started to slow a little on the 5th rep.

Haven’t weighed myself in a long time. I’d guess I’m around 200 lbs now but I need to dig out my scale.

I did StrongLifts 5x5 for 3 months before moving to Starting Strength. So glad of the move. 5x5 in squats was just getting to be too much. I'll stay on this linear progression as long as I keep making progress, even if that progress is "only" 2lbs per squat workout.

Will follow your log with interest.

Cheers,
    IronMike

Workout 7:

Bad SI joint pain (or maybe lower back) over the last 24 hrs. I don’t know if this just means that it’s getting harder to recover from deadlifting or what, but I decided to start power cleans. I also took some weight off the bar for my squats to work on technique a bit. Overall the workout felt great. No pain the next morning.

Squat 185 5x3
    Bench 150 5x3
    Power Clean 135 3x4

Deadlifts felt amazing today. Could have gone higher but tried to stay disciplined at 5 lbs.

The press was another story unfortunately. Time for 2.5 lb jumps I think.

Squat 190 5x3

Press 110 5,4,5 - Missed fifth rep on the second set. I came back for a triumphant third set but I’m still going to repeat this weight next time.

Deadlift 305 5x1 - Felt like I could have done a set of 10

Workout 9:

Deadlifted again today because I had to move the workout back a day. Figured I didn’t need to power clean since I had an extra rest day.

Squat 195 5x3
    Bench 155 5x3
    Deadlift 310 5x1

Squats aren’t feeling that strong. All my other lifts feel great on this program so I have to think I have a mechanical issue. I have an appointment with a SSC in a couple weeks so hopefully that will help.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout 10:

Squat 205 5x3
    Press 110 5x3
    Power Clean 140 3x4

Made an adjustment to my squat that helped a lot and made a 10 lb jump. Many thanks to the recent article on knees out / toes out. Also thanks to the video on the grip clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast