starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Strength after another program (or lack thereof).

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Workout 11:

Squat 210 5x3
    Bench 160 5x3
    Deadlift 315 5x1

Workout 12:

Squat 215 5x3
    Press 115 5x3
    Clean 145 3x4

Big step forward on my squats. I’ve been losing my lordosis in the low bar squat, and Rip’s article on the most important thing helped a lot. Still not perfect but felt much stronger than before.

Third set of power cleans was not so good. Rough catches. I did full cleans on the fourth set which felt great but it’s not the program. I’m going to repeat this weight next time to get through all four sets with the power variation.

It looks like you are making good progress. My press was the first lift to fail and need to be micro loaded. It is the smallest muscle group out of all the basic exercises and therefore will be the first to fail. Next will probably be the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    It looks like you are making good progress. My press was the first lift to fail and need to be micro loaded. It is the smallest muscle group out of all the basic exercises and therefore will be the first to fail. Next will probably be the bench.
    Thanks Ken! I appreciate the support. I made another 5 lb jump on the press, but there may have been some hubris involved. The final rep was definitely a grinder. Micro loading from here.

The bench still feels pretty good. My last 5x3 didn’t seem too hard. Maybe I started too low

Workout 12:

Squat 220 5x3
    Bench 165 5x3
    Deadlift 320 5x1

Overall felt good today. Not great, definitely some hard reps, but I did the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wolf View Post
    Workout 12:
    Whoops. I meant 13.

Workout 14:

Squat 225 lbs 5x3
    Press - nope
    Deadlift 325 lbs 5x3

Something is very wrong with my left arm. I’m not sure how I injured it or what’s wrong but pressing did not happen today. Will give it another go next session.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout 15 (SSC session):

Was coached by Anthony Sandbothe in Portland last night. Great guy. His instruction was very helpful and gave me a lot to work on. Not a full workout because we only had an hour but well worth the intermission.

Squat 235 5x2 - Coached to widen my stance, tighten my grip and back, lower my chest, and drive more from the hips. 235 felt lighter than 225 did last workout.

Press 95 5x2 - Left arm is still bad, but Anthony showed me some things that I think will help. More explosive from the bottom and a bigger shrug at the top. Also get my body under the bar, not my head. No turtle neck. Spot the wall.

Deadlift 230 x2 - My key takeaway was to get much much tighter before I pull. Good cue: stick my balls out to the wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12