starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glenn's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David.M.Allen View Post
    Congrats on making it 10 workouts in a row. Keep up the hard work.
    Thank you so much. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Congrats on keeping it up!

You still have quite a way to go in LP. The lifts will gradually continue to feel harder but the weight will keep going up. Get or make some micro plates. Currently I am using 2.5lb increments on the press.

Any updates on weight loss? With doing LP I would keep weight loss down to no more then a pound a week, 1/2 pound would be better. Remember that even if you stay the same weight you are still changing your bodies composition. Muscle weight goes up and body fat goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    Congrats on keeping it up!

You still have quite a way to go in LP. The lifts will gradually continue to feel harder but the weight will keep going up. Get or make some micro plates. Currently I am using 2.5lb increments on the press.

Any updates on weight loss? With doing LP I would keep weight loss down to no more then a pound a week, 1/2 pound would be better. Remember that even if you stay the same weight you are still changing your bodies composition. Muscle weight goes up and body fat goes down.
    Thank you so much. I'm down 6 pounds since I started, to 277. It's a little more than 1.5 pounds a week, so it's bene pretty good and steady, though nothing too extreme. I'm gonna focus on the lifting, and if the number on the scale remains steady, going to trust that composition change is there. I bought some micro plates from Rogue last week or something like that, it might be time to deploy them for the OHP before too terribly long.

Today I added a little more than standard progression in the deadlift. I'm going to add in Power Cleans before too terribly long, and my deadlift isn't being taxed. Bench Press also got a slightly extra push...essentially I'm feeling secure in this is a new lifestyle addition for me and I'm able to power through the tough times when it comes, instead of getting discouraged.

Squat 145x5 (3) this felt a bit heavier on all three sets, but there wasn't much question of getting the 5th rep each time. Next week or the week after I might be singing a different toon, however. This summer I did 225 for a double, if I recall correctly.

Bench 95x5 (3) At least it felt like I was moving some weight, even if it wasn't taxing. In a month's time I'll be in uncharted waters (at 135 I'm switching to 5 pound increments)

Deadlift 185x5 It wasn't too heavy, but it was real weight. I can do another 130 for a single, but I don't know where in the world I land at 5 reps. I will take more regular intervals moving forward in the DL.

Another workout in the books. My wife joined me tonight, and she was really excited about how good squats felt for her.

I got my workout in on Friday, but we went out on date night and I haven't been on my computer until today, so...sorry for the delay in posting, but my first 4-week period was successful.

Squat 155x5 (3) was a lot tougher, but complete and without question a 5-rep PR. I don't know how much we'll go further than this before I have a missed rep.

Press 80x5 (3) also a lot tougher, and a PR for sure (I don't think I've ever in my life tried to press that much overhead). I'm happy with any more progress here.

Deadlift 195x5 I felt this one, my grip was a little annoyed but we got through it. I had moved some furniture before the workout (like immediately before, put it in the truck, and then in the house from Ikea) but still, I was disappointed in this lift.

Last night, I was battling a cold and general lethargy. I've not been doing ANYTHING other than my lifts.

Squat 165x5 (3) I had moments of doubt, but the reps were completed. It is humbling, and somewhat motivating.

Bench 105x5 (3) It's funny, it feels like "real" weight and is heavy but I've done 30% more for a set of ten. The reps weren't in doubt, but I'm feeling like it is closer to where I will be going to 5 pound jumps.

Deadlift 205x5 Was feeling the weight, grip got a little stressed at the end. My son laughed at the knurl patterns in the flesh of my fingers after

I broke two bones in my hand in a car door when my son slammed it. I'm out for a while, will pick this back up when I'm back and able to lift again.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennjamin Gluttons View Post
    I broke two bones in my hand in a car door when my son slammed it. I'm out for a while, will pick this back up when I'm back and able to lift again.
    Well that stinks! I have had a few setbacks myself. The approach that I have taken is to still do what I am able under the circumstances. For example when I messed up my shoulder I still was able to use the treadmill, leg press, abs, and a few machines. Try and train around the injury. Otherwise at least for me the habit of not training sets in which makes it hard to restart after healing. I look at weight training as an important part of the recovery process.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennjamin Gluttons View Post
    What's your ETA to get back at it? We are holding you accountable, buddy!

Ken_L has a good point, try to find something you can do. Keep your training schedule consistent, i.e., go to the gym / your garage whatever like you normally would, just do other things. Leg presses, sit-ups, back extensions, and bodyweight squats all come to mind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123