starting strength gym

Thread: Lifes Harlequin's Training Log

Default Lifes Harlequin's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing Starting Strength seriously for a few months now. Prior to actually using the Starting Strength novice program I was using Bill Star Ascending 5x5 on and off for years, so my lifts were heavy enough that I started in Phase 2 of SS. Currently doing Phase 3 by using the SS app (which I love) manually. Since this is the starting thread post I'll just talk about what I've accomplished over the last cycle of lifts (since last week).
    *Note: just including working sets as app auto calculates warmup sets of bar x 2 x 5, 40% x 5, 60% x 3, 80% x 2.*

23 May 2018: Squat: 290 x 3 x 5, Overhead Press (had to deload): 125 x 3, 115 x 2 x 5, Deadlift: 365 x 5

21 May 2018: Squat: 285 x 3 x 5, Bench Press: 160 x 3 x 5, Chin up: 10 x 3 x 8

17 May 2018: Squat: 290 x 3 x 5, Overhead Press: 125 x 3 x 4/5/4, Power Clean 165 x 5 x 3
    *Odd Thursday due to work requirements*

Body Weight (23 May 2018): 193 @ 17%BF.

Planning to update the log weekly with lifts and BW.

26 May 2018: Squat: 295# x 3 x 5, Bench Press: 165 x 3 x 5, Chin up: 15 x 3 x 8/7 (missed last rep of chinups)

28 May 2018: 1.5mi run, 20 Min HIIT Calisthenics, 1.5mi run. (Memorial Day and base gym not available)

29 May 2018: Rest day

30 May 2018:
    Command PT (20 Min HIIT)
    SS Training - Squat: 300# x 3 x 5, Overhead Press: 120# x 3 x 5, Deadlift: 370# x 5

31 May 2018: Recovery Yoga. Body was feeling really tight and I hadn't been sleeping well all week.

01 Jun 2018:
    Command PT (30Min Mixed Calisthenics and light Strength training)
    SS Training - Squat: 305# x 1 x 2 (hips were totally burnt out, so deloaded) 275# x 3 x 5, Bench Press: 170 x 3 x 5, Chin up: 15 x 3 x 6 (felt exhausted)

02-03 Jun 2018: Rest days... like for real. Not feeling well (left jaw locked up out of no where and everything is very sore), and my right hip flex-or is shot. Tried the Recovery Yoga class on Thursday to try and get a solid hour of stretching in, and it did help loosen up some tension in my right shoulder, but hips are still very tight. The 305# I moved on Friday went well for the 2 reps, but just physically worn out. Decided to deload to 275# for that session only (will try 305# again Mon). Not completely happy with my body, specifically my waist gaining an inch since I started bulking and restarting SS, even though using waist vs height/weight/neck/hip measurements still have me at 16.5%BF @ 195lbs. Taking a lot of mental willpower not to go back into a caloric deficit and train for conditioning. I've only been on this round of Novice LP and bulking for about 3 months and gained 10lbs body weight, but I've seen an increase of 50lbs on squat and deadlift.

Welcome. Consult a SS coach from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Consult a SS coach from time to time.
    Thanks! Will do. Meeting up with the local coach hopefully in July (vacations getting in the way). Have noticed doing the yoga classes that my hamstrings are piano wire tight and not very flexible, but my glutes are flexy and have been making up for the range of motion. In the mean time, especially since my uniform waist line is getting tight in 36's, I'm going to drop the weight a little and try to trim down my waist. Or at least not push LP as hard since I just won't have the calories to back it up. I know it's pretty counter to Novice LP and 4,000 cal diet, but I'm not in the mood to buy new uniforms with waists over 36" just to be comfy at work. Plus, I'm about to go on vacation next week, and won't have access to barbells for at least 3 weeks, so lots of calisthenics and resistance band work to just get healthy and trimmer. Then when I get back and can talk to the coach, I'll make sure to address anything in my form that might be causing the added posterior chain and hip strain.

03 Jun 2018: Lazed about and cut the grass in the 104deg F heat index for an hour and a half... had no choice as I was living in a small jungle due to the constant onslaught of FL rain.

04 Jun 2018: 1.5 mile brisk walk, 25 min HIIT calisthenics, 1.5mile brisk walk - was told no running by my doc due to some plantar fasciitis

05 Jun 2018: Commute bicycle 8.5mi @ 17-20mph, Yoga (1hr), Commute bicycle (home).

06 Jun 2018: Squat: 225# x 5 x 5; Press: 125# x 1 x 3, 115# x 2 x 5; Powerclean 170# x 1 x 3, 155# x 4 x 3

07 Jun 2018: Commute bicycle, Recovery Yoga (all stretching and foam rolling and TPP), Commute bicycle home

Notess: It sucks not being able to run for 6 weeks, but feet gotta heal. Legit yoga is no joke... my quads were on fire trying to hold variations of a lunge for 5 minutes at a time. Was also cramping pretty hard, meaning I didn't have nearly enough electrolytes after cycling. Recovery yoga is definitely helping my recovery, but the cycling is hindering it a little because I'm still struggling to just relax and cruise on the bike and not just burn home as fast as possible. You can definitely see the drop in strength from having done hard yoga and cycling the day before I lifted. I could do the 170# powercleans, but my hamstrings were already screaming at me, so dropped the weight and worked on queueing the 'jump'. The cleans are easily my favorite lift still, and I look forward to them more than any lift. Will try to reinforce 'just relax and pedal comfortably' on my way home today so I can reserve more energy for tomorrow's lifts. Adopted a narrower stance for the squat, which seemed to help my hips not hurt so bad, and really got the bar low over my delts, which felt better.
    Last edited by LifesHarlequin; 06-07-2018 at 06:01 AM.

I keep wondering why you aren't doing the program as written? Do you have the books?

I keep wondering why you aren't doing the program as written? Do you have the books?
    I have been. I have the app and used it for months. I did the program originally only from the SS book back in 2006, then found my way to the Bill Star/ Madcow 5x5 years later. I was never properly coached back then and life/deployments/etc. would interrupt training a lot, so I never really progressed passed novice stage. I didn't really go into the details here because I posted about it in the Training threads (Interrupted Training). Basically I have 3 days a week of Command PT I have no choice but to participate in and lead that keeps me from being strict on the program at the moment. Plently of times where I have to run 4 miles or 2 miles plus calisthenics, etc. Plus I have uniforms I have to fit into, so I can't really afford to go full 4,000 cal/day diet and not worry about my waist line. I have to maintain the ability to run 5k's, and I'm 33 years old so I'm starting to need more time to repair when I'm burning 1,000 active calories per day on avg(according to Apple Watch). Picked up the yoga trying to use it for recovery and increase flexibility without too much stress. I've made a lot of progress in the last few months (squat went from 225# to 300#, deadlift 315# to 370#, bench 135# to 170#, press 95# to 120#, and started with 95# on cleans and now at 170#), but with kids at home and work requirements digging into my sleep time, it's starting to catch up with me. I've gained 10lbs since March, which is mostly muscle, but my waist has gone up about 1-1/2 inches (33.5-35" button w/ 36.5" love handles) and uniforms waistlines are getting uncomfortable. Now I've got summer vacation, which is mostly helping my mother-in-law on her farm for a few weeks in the middle of no where.

Everything ideal, I'd love to just focus on the program and soak up all the Novice gains, but life. I know this is a lot of excuses, but I'm really trying to work SS Phase 3 the best I can without being useless around my family because I'm too tired to move or hurt.
    Last edited by LifesHarlequin; 06-07-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. I was confused because your program isn't really novice progression. Had you considered the more general category below this or the intermediate? I shouldn't have been confused since I've not been a novice for quite a while. Yet I still post here.

In any event keep posting wherever you wish. Your story is interesting.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. I was confused because your program isn't really novice progression. Had you considered the more general category below this or the intermediate? I shouldn't have been confused since I've not been a novice for quite a while. Yet I still post here.

In any event keep posting wherever you wish. Your story is interesting.
    Ah, I gotcha! And, thanks for the encouragement!

I felt healthy enough today to do a straight up Phase 3 Novice workout:

Squat: 1 x 5 @ 305#, 2 x 3 @ 305# (finished 2nd and 3rd sets to 5 reps @ 275#)
    Bench: 2 x 3 @ 175#, 1 x 2 @ 175# (finished sets of 5 with 155#)
    Chin-up: 3 x 8 @ 15# added weight

So, like I said, felt healthy enough to try 305# squat again. First set was solid, but form broke down on last rep. I felt my torso loosen and let the weight shift forward. Instead of risking it, I took 2nd and 3rd sets until just before form breakdown and finished with 275# for the 4th and 5th reps. Same concept with Bench. I like doing these pseudo-drop-sets more than relying on a random spotter who typically cuts in a little too early or if they see the bar slow at all. Was really debating giving heavy lifting a miss today and doing some more recovery, but very glad I didn't. Felt great to be back under a heavy bar again.

starting strength coach development program
    11 Jun 2018:

Squat: 3 x 5 @ 305#
    Press: 3 x 5 @ 120#
    Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 375#

Made sure to warm up very well and keep stretching throughout to help hamstrings stay loose and right hip to quit balking. Did have to walk away from the deadlift bar after 3rd rep for 5-10sec pauses on last reps to restretch hamstrings. Felt that tearing tinge starting, but overall a great session. Also took Ripps advice about giving the 5-8 minute rest to replenish the energy since we’re not worried about conditioning (6 min for squats and between last warmup dead, 5 for press)