starting strength gym

Thread: Beanpole Fitness LLC

Default Beanpole Fitness LLC

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy forum, I'm Dave

Starting up my SS log tonight. I'm a 30 year-old man training at home with my wife, 2 kids, and a baby on the way. I commute 30 min each way from a desk job downtown.

Starting Strength 3rd edition gave me an awesome introduction to strength training a few years ago. I dived in with practically no exercise or athletic background and had a lot of fun figuring things out. LP on the squat and deadlift lasted probably 8-12 weeks, starting on the empty bar. Lots of resets, terrible form, inadequate eating. That said, I put 20 lbs on my 130lb, 5' 11.5" frame, something I had never seen before. Obviously didn't eat enough, but had a lot of fun getting started. By the time I slowed down at the gym, the lifts were something like
    • Squat - 195x5x3
    • Press - 85x5x3 (never figured out the form on that one, Press 2.0, you evade me)
    • Deadlift - 205x5
    • Bench - 105x5x3
    • Power Clean - still not sure if I ever actually taught myself to clean, totals were probably similar to my press

Since then, I have continued to go to the gym, but changes in work and commuting made this a weekly thing. I'm sure there's a way to program for this, but I have no idea what that would look like. 2-3 years later, I found an awesome craigslist deal on a rack, bench, bar, and plates, and I'm now set up in the basement at home. Looking forward to starting again, hopefully able to resume an LP. While my de-trained self is probably stronger than my un-trained state a few years ago, I sadly lost those 20lbs of body weight, and I'm starting again at 130lb.

Yesterday morning, I worked up to numbers I've been comfortable handling at the gym lately. I hope to start at this intensity tomorrow morning, 3 sets across:
    Squat: 165x5x2
    Bench: 85x5x2
    Deadlift: 185x5

Nutrition is obviously going to make or break this. I really hate counting what I eat. I'll try and shoot for something above 150g/protein a day, I suppose 250-300g/day is closer to an appropriate amount. No idea what an appropriate minimum calorie goal has to be, but I suppose that 3500 Cal/day is a reasonable guess between not making an effort and the 6500 figure that gets thrown around. I am in a position to try GOMAD again, something I frankly couldn't afford a few years back. I hope to not have to rely on Whey/Casein for more than 50-60g protein. I think a daily weigh-in will be a faster indicator if nutrition is on track than my immediate progress in LP.

Good work, Dave! I'm a few months in and am considering a home gym as well. I really like the camaraderie at the local Y, but they have 70 pieces of aerobic equipment and only 3 squat racks and one dead lift platform.

Quote Originally Posted by sinker View Post
    Good work, Dave! I'm a few months in and am considering a home gym as well. I really like the camaraderie at the local Y, but they have 70 pieces of aerobic equipment and only 3 squat racks and one dead lift platform.
    Thanks. I don’t know it’s worth cancelling a gym or Y membership for most people, but I value the extra time at home right now. Most gyms in my area with 2+ squat racks are too far off my commute or expensive (but nice!), so setting up at home has been a big saver.

AM weigh in: 131lb
    Slept 7 hours

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    165x5x3

Focused on breaking knees and hips together, little too much knee slide. Warm up regimen was nice, longer than what I do at the gym, but wasn’t tired after the single. Plenty of chores to work on between sets.

Bench
    45x5x2
    55x5
    65x3
    75x2
    85x5x3

Felt much better than Tuesday. Still getting used to an adjustable bench. It came with the rack, and it’s nice to have around, but a flat bench is much easier to press from.

Deadlift
    135x3
    195x5

10lb jump was hard, I will record my form next time, I felt like I dropped my hips on almost every rep. Need to keep hunting Craigslist for spare plywood and get that platform together, another 2 weeks of this can’t be good for the foundation (lifting on basic exercise mats, padding and carpet).

Nutrition: mostly normal diet today, so I need to focus on milk this afternoon.

Have you checked out the coaching section on this website? A session or several sessions with a certified SS coach can be invaluable. Not only will it help you to keep at it but keep at it safely. Check it out if you haven't already. There is also online coaching. Eat.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Have you checked out the coaching section on this website? A session or several sessions with a certified SS coach can be invaluable. Not only will it help you to keep at it but keep at it safely. Check it out if you haven't already. There is also online coaching. Eat.
    Thanks for the tip, I’ll get in touch with a coach. There are two gyms in driving distance. I could definitely use the help, albeit not something I can do weekly.

starting strength coach development program
    Basement flooded last weekend and the baby is nearly here. I’m still drying out the carpet and moving things around to set the rack back up. Hopefully back to the workout on Saturday.

I got stall mats for the platform prior to the rain, but the spare plywood I have seems pretty poor quality. I will wait to build the platform and just deadlift on the mat for the time being.

Nutrition has been so-so, getting 3 full meals, minimum of ¼ gal milk a day, often ½ gal. Usually 30g from the protein shake. It will be easier to eat when I’m training and growing the appetite.