starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski SS Novice Progression - and running

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    To each his own. But don't blame the program if what you do does not work.
    At this point it would be awfully hard to blame the program - I would say I have reaped a lot of reward from the book and the program. I understand I am no longer doing the program as prescribed. However, I also understand that it will always be hard for me to go all the way through a full linear progression due to the nature of my job.

Today was first day that I moved to pullups in place of dead/clean so now Dead-clean-pullups on respective 3 day schedule - I didn't add in the back extensions though. Weight hovering around 240.2.
    Squat@315- grinding 5 rep - 3rd set was rough and there was significant form breakdown. Rest (R) 8.5 minutes
    Press@160 - felt great, grinding on 5th rep of each set R: 8 minutes
    Pullups 9x8x6 R:5
    Run update - based on fatigue from the last 2 LSD days - I'm moving to (2) 400 workouts a week and both will be after workout on 2nd and 3rd workout of each week. In addition, rather than adding volume which at this point appears to impact recovery the most (makes sense)- I will work on driving up intensity/speed and lowering rest between sessions.
    400s@3 intervals 7.5 mph R: 1min 40 sec between intervals (20 seconds less than previous)
    Whiskey of the day- Devils River Bourbon
    Last edited by Ski; 06-06-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Today was supposed to be my second day off at the end of week, but I will be at the lake drinking heavily for 72 hours so...I decided to execute what should have been Fridays workout today.
    Squat@252- felt easy for all 3 sets
    Bench@267.5 - Got first 2 sets, first 4 reps had great bar speed, missed 5th on 3rd set. Now, I should have had another 24 hours of recovery before the attempt so I am not that worried and I didn't groove the set. However, on the 2nd set, I failed to get adequate leg drive (while I got the set), I pulled my right hamstring...very bizarre. I can only imagine this was in some effort to attempt to get back to my normal benching position. At this point, I am thinking I may move to a top set and of 270 next workout, and attempt 267.5 for 2nd and 3rd set to maintain volume but continue to drive intensity.
    Deadlift@340 - After the hamstring injury I decided to just reset and work my way back up with 5 pound increments. My form this session and last session has suddenly crapped the bed. I was letting the bar float away from the shin, setup was poor- so again reset seems like a good idea to dial it back in.

Run - 400m x 3 Rest: 90 seconds Pace: 7.5 mph Incline Tread: 1.0

Well, to say the weekend of hardcore lake activities didn't hit my recovery would be an understatement but nonetheless ……
    Squat@320 - 2nd and 3rd sets were really hard on 5th reps- form breakdown was considerable on final rep
    Press@162.5 - Only 4 reps on all 3 sets
    Deadlift@345 - hard - went ahead and repeated the dead because I want it on every Monday ...moving to M-W-F scheduling
    Run - 400m x 3 Rest: 1 Minute 20 seconds Pace: 7.5mph Incline on Tread: 1.0
    Last edited by Ski; 06-12-2018 at 07:49 AM.

I moved 400s to the 1st and 3rd workouts of the week based on experience of fatigue thus far. The volume seems to be spot on so I will continue to reduce rest rather than increase volume to minimize impact to recovery for NLP.
    Squat@256 - Rest 4.5 minutes, great bar speed on all reps. Getting minor knee pain in left knee on descent.
    Bench@ 270 for 5 (5th rep was grind), 2 back off sets at 256.5, good bar speed, 5th reps slowed but not too bad. Rest 8 min
    Weighted Pullups +10 pounds, 5th reps on all 3 sets were hard Rest 4.5 minutes
    Back Extensions@body weight, 3 sets of 10 Rest: 1 min
    No Run today.

Well, the bourbon last night prolly played a role...but...
    Squat 325 x 2 sets for 5 reps 308.5 x 5 (gonna start back offs here too)
    Press 162.5@3 reps for 5 sets
    Clean 170@3 reps for 5 sets
    Run - 400m x 4 Rest: 1 minute Pace: 7.5 mph Incline Tread:1.0

Well may have not fully recovered from sudden decision to have a date night with the wife which culminated in shots for bad dads day....lol.
    Squat 330x5, 315x5 for 2 sets (not too bad) R:8
    Bench 272.5 x4 (barely missed the lift) 258x5 for 2 sets (will repeat this workout to see if it was from weekend activities =poor recovery) R:8
    Pullups 10x8x7 R:5
    Back Extensions x10 for 3 sets R:20 seconds
    No Run - helping a buddy with his SSLP start up, he was on day 2.

So looking back over log, it is apparent that after going 3 months with 100 compliance on consistency of workout - I have hit the bottle like a college kid over the last two weeks. Although arguably a deserved respite from the diligent adherence, it is time to refocus. It is also fairly likely it has hurt recovery over last two weeks. Yesterday workout (night before was wife bday - and ended at our favorite local bar):
    Weight: 244
    Squat@265 good bar speed
    Press@165 3,3,3,3,2 (Miss), 1 - came into gym feeling pretty drained and lacking "motivation" - possible sign of poor recovery
    Deadlift@355
    Run - 400mx4 Rest: 50 seconds (walking at 2.5mph) Pace: 7.5 Incline on Tread: 1.0

Much better recovery over last 48 hours. Weight at 242.7 Waist 40"
    Squat 315x5, 335x5, 320x5 - Miscalculated 1st back off set, also experimented with ramping up to workset rather than 2 back off sets R:9
    Bench 272.5x5 (GOT IT!), it looked bad on 4th rep but magic happened at a very slow pace...lol, 258.5 for 2 sets of 5 R:8.5
    Weighted Pullups@+12.5 not too bad R:5
    Back Extension +5 lbs 10 reps 3 sets R:1
    Run - 400m x 4 Rest: 40 sec Pace:7.5 Incline Tread: 1.0
    Tabata Unassisted Situp @6 reps for 8 cycles (Starting to incorporate the PT prep planned from Ryan Long Article) I am going to alternate pushup and situp Tabata each workout rather than both each session, and I am only going to run twice a week as well. I am still 3 months out from PT but I want to try a slower ramp up than his published article. *Why does the army want me weak*
    Major Note: Due to Waist size now at 40" and need to prep for PT test - this log is going to move to HLM. I will also be eating a caloric deficient diet so my Starting Strength Novice Progression will be ending. Caloric intake goal will be 2800. I will start trying to update the log with macronutrient and caloric metrics as well. Up to this point it was eat whatever I wanted and at least 240g of protein. I will strive to maintain a low fat, high protein profile going forward. I may include bp as an interesting aside.
    Yesterday Nutrition
    166g carbs, 143g fat, 230g protein for a total of 2816 calories (triple cheeseburger crushed my fat profile....need to back that down immensely)

starting strength coach development program
    Diet for today
    2417 calories
    269 carb
    191 protein
    97 fat
    Did better on fat but missed protein goal

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast