starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski SS Novice Progression - and running

Default Ski SS Novice Progression - and running

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am reintroducing running (work related) into my progression and thought it might be interesting for others to see that impact. I am going to introduce one long slow distance (LSD) and one interval run per week. Both of these will titrate up on a weekly progression with very low volume initially to gauge impact on strength progression. LSD will increase at 1 minute intervals and 400s will increase in volume at one additional attempt per week starting at 3 working up to 8. When I hit 8, I will reset to 1 800 and work up again to 4. Intensity will be constant for LSD but I will shoot for "race pace" on intervals.

SS Progression will move to final novice progression (deadlift once per week, reduced intensity squat on 2nd squat workout each week). LSD will be on Wednesdays and 400s on Sundays. I work a Fri-Sun-Tues cycle.

Current Stats
    Squat@295, Dead@360, Bench@260, Press@152.5, Clean 150, Pullups x8x7x6 Height: 6'4 Weight: 239.6 Waste: 39.25 2 Mile Run 16:40
    Micro-loading Bench and Press (each lift has had one full reset)

5/23
    20 min LSD
    5/25
    Initiate next novice progression

Well we learned a lot about running volume, DOMS set in big time after LSD. Squatting was brutal today...overall fatigue was higher than expected. Will need to back LSD time down and titrate up. Definitely got too froggy on starting the running back up but made the lifts nonetheless.

Squat@300
    Bench@262.5
    Clean@155

Why don't you wait until you have ended your novice linear progression?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Why don't you wait until you have ended your novice linear progression?
    I cant afford to take any more time off from running. My run time has taken a hit around 1:30 minutes since the start of the progression.

To each his own. But don't blame the program if what you do does not work.

Backed down from 3 intervals to 2 based on LSD fatigue. Also went more conservative on pace to judge accordingly at 7.5 mph for two intervals.

Squat@240 legs felt great - might have been able to keep progression going rather than going to light day but after LSD felt like it was still a better idea to adjust accordingly as originally planned
    Press@155 - had to readdress grip, continue to struggle with belt use on this lift (not using belt)
    Dead@370 - felt good, hard but feels like progression will continue

Overall felt fairly fresh for this workout - 2 intervals did not appear to impact the session:
    Body Weight@239.4 in AM
    Squat@305 (grinding pretty hard but g2g)
    Bench@265 (first 4 reps had great bar speed on all 3 sets but 5th reps on all sets were pretty rough)
    Clean@160 (still initiating jump early on some reps)
    Last edited by Ski; 05-31-2018 at 07:37 AM.

LSD Run- 96 degrees ya buddy....1.5 miles at a 9:00 min mile pace (total time 13:40). Legs feel like absolute lead after yesterdays squats. Low back was fatigued and talking by 1 mile marker. At 1.25 miles calves and knees were talking quite a bit which is why I shut it down at 1.5 miles. It will be interesting to see how this effects Friday Squats and Deads. Hopefully the reduced volume will minimize impact. I have a feeling it may be better to incorporate 2 400 workouts per week rather than the longer volume run (will consider this change if lifts are impacted).
    Last edited by Ski; 05-30-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Poor Sleep last night- some kind of stomach bug - probably effected todays outcome but I also think that my lower back was not recovered. Looking back at old progression- I realized something: Deadlift has been moving at 10 pound increments - forgot to adjust when I got close to previous failure point
    Todays Outcome
    Squat@310 - first 3 reps on each set had good bar speed, 4th reps slowed considerably, 5th reps were brutal
    Press@157.5 -first 4 reps on each set had good bar speed, 5th reps were tough to lock out - forehead level
    Dead@380 - bar did not budge on first rep. Lower back was pretty angry by the work set. Made two attempts - pattern was full ghost rider. Dropped to 315@5. Based on above analysis - I need to move to 5 pound jumps and I need to move to deadlifting once a week per SS 3rd edition anyway. I am surprised it lasted this long. It is hard to tell what caused failed recovery - so I am going to attempt @ 375 next lift which will be in one week. I am going to assume it was poor sleep/stomach bug + 10 pound jumps over the running implementation at this point since other lifts were solid.
    Last edited by Ski; 06-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Had a great lesson learned today - normally I work out in a commercial gym (Golds- I am TDY a lot). But the nice thing is that there is some consistency in equipment. Today, because of location I had to work out at a crossfit gym. I generally set up on the bar each lift based on the rings on the bar - normally all the bars in the gyms I use are the same style so I didn't think anything about it. My squat sets seemed awkward (it was an 80% day) but I didn't figure out why. Moved to bench press and my last warm up felt extremely heavy. I attempted my first work set and missed - only 3 reps. This seemed very strange. I dropped back 10% and hit the next set and realized my hand position was much wider than normal because I was basing my setup on the rings on the bar....and it was a different patterned bar.
    Squat@248 Rest (R): 4
    Bench- 267.5x3 moved to 241 and got 3 sets of 5. Unfortunately (see above) I did not realize what went wrong in time. R:5
    Clean@165 (started using belt today - missed 4 set twice without belt) R:4

Run - 400m x 3 Rest: 2 minutes Pace: 7.5mph Incline Tread: 1.0

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast