starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ryans Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    With the weight your squatting you are most likely getting close to the end of LP for the squat. I see that a light day was added and that is a good move. Recovery takes longer because of the high stress of heavy weights. Once you can no longer make progress (can't recover sufficiently) with the light day consider a program template such as HLM just for squats while continuing LP for the other lifts. HLM will allow you to only squat really heavy once a week. The light day will help with recovery and the medium day will add more stress without wrecking you. Deadifts can be done on the light or medium squat day once per week and can be done first in the workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    With the weight your squatting you are most likely getting close to the end of LP for the squat. I see that a light day was added and that is a good move. Recovery takes longer because of the high stress of heavy weights. Once you can no longer make progress (can't recover sufficiently) with the light day consider a program template such as HLM just for squats while continuing LP for the other lifts. HLM will allow you to only squat really heavy once a week. The light day will help with recovery and the medium day will add more stress without wrecking you. Deadifts can be done on the light or medium squat day once per week and can be done first in the workout.
    Ken's got a good point - there's nothing that says you can't change your programming on just one lift if it gets too stressful.

Oh and two more ideas (both from PPST3) - 1) Do squats 1x5 @ the 5 lb+ weight and then 2 back offs at 85 - 90% and 2) workout on a 1 on 2 off schedule until the end of LP, if it's convenient. Keep doing the light day though.

Haven't done these myself but will probably do so when I am as far along as you are. Mostly looking forward to #2 because that means a little extra sleep.

Really appreciate your ideas guys.

Ken, that sounds like a pretty solid plan to me thanks!

Thanks for pointing that one our Eric, not sure #2 fits in with me but I sure do know that feeling.

I do have to take some moments every once in a while and think I'm the strongest I've ever been and can see a decent amount more within me, easy to get bogged down into the details.

21/06/18

Deads
    125kg 1x5 @ 9.5

Press
    67.5kg 5/3/5 @ 10/10/9

Squats
    125kg @ 80% of Mon 2x5

I quite enjoyed this switch around, and I added some sugar to my coffee and had some oatcakes to eat during rests, which may have helped cant say for sure just yet.

Deadlift form was better, I dropped the weight by 5kg from Monday as that was probably ego chasing anyway. I am still struggling to fully bring the wave of extension all the way down my back. However in saying that I am much more stable in my lumbar, If anything there is a flexion that develops in my upper back when the bar is near my knees.

I cocked up the rhythm on my 2nd set of presses, and maybe didn't get enough rest. Sorted that for the 3rd set.

Squats felt very nice, complete control of my knees I imagine doing this will carry though to the heavy sets.

I'm going to get myself verified and get a form check on the Q&A section, and hopefully get myself along to the only coach in the UK soon.

Busy busy weekend of work with not much sleep. 1st of three weekends in a row of working with no time off inbetween. Training will not be stopping!

23/06/18
    SQ
    155kg @ 10/9.5/9.5 (didn't go up to work on the form, knees much more stable)

Bench
    90kg @ 10/10/4reps (big PR never got near here before, but my god it was hard, possibly could have grinded the last rep more)

Light LD
    105kg 2x5 (filmed myself from the side, even with this weight I'm falling out of extension)

26/06/18
    Squat
    So I thought I had loaded up 157.5kg but I missed a 1.25kg plate so had a nice asymmetrical 156.25kg (FFS!!!!), completed all sets without realising and as frustrating as it was to realise it was positive. I slowed the decent down and actually got much better depth and rebound, and it actually seemed to reduce how much good morning'ing I had seen with 155kg.

OHP
    70kg 3reps/4reps/1rep (most definitely the most weight I've had in my hands above my head so thats good)

Rack Pull ups
    BW 3x5 (I don't have anything to do pull ups from and I'm not sure I could get enough vol. anyway so rack pulls it was. I maybe should have done BBR)

Positives and negatives. Onwards.

This is a damn tough month, in the past I would have so easily not trained but it feels a lot more that this is a part of me now.

So theres going to be a few sessions missed of the record because I don't have my log with me but rest assured I haven't missed any. Plus last week after getting some feedback on my deadlift from the SSC Steve Hill, I pulled 130kg and it was probably the best I've felt yet. His only comment was that I was too close to the bar, so has put my mind at rest and that had probably helped the most. The change of programming will be playing its part too!

Finally going to order some lifting shoes today as well, struggling to find anywhere that stocks them so fingers crossed on them fitting. Going for the Powerlift.3.1.

3/07/18
    Squat
    160kg @ 9.5/(only allowing 4 reps as the last was high)/10 (I caught a cue on Instagram from Nikki Sims (I think) about imagining theres a wall behind you and just touching your butt against it to slide down and up, this seemed to work pretty damn well for me, helped me stay in my hips more and knee cave was much much less)

Bench
    92.5kg @ 10/9.5/4reps (didn't quite have the rhythm right on the last rep and its lingered on my chest and then couldn't get it more than 2" off my chest)

BBR
    70kg @ 8.5/8/8 (probs a little light)

5/07/18

TIRED

DL
    132.5kg @limpnoodlebodyunabletoholdposition (bar came away from my shins a few times and my butt tucked under me)

Press
    70kg @10/10/4reps (lost tightness for the last rep but I'm happy enough to add weight, thinking it may be time to microload)

Light Squat
    127.5kg 2x5 (fine, wore a belt so I can really focus on my knees and staying in my hips)

Finally ordered some lifting shoes, should arrive today, genuinely quite excited.

07/07/18

First time lifting in proper shoes, squats felt more comfortable and I think theres less tendency for my knees to cave in. Deads felt wayyy different but maybe better hard to tell

SQ
    162.5kg @10/4reps/10 (felt like the last rep on the 2nd set was going to be a no go, so nipped in the bud there, I think I'm avoiding the grind out of the bottom by shooting my hips up developing some good morning-ness. Last set I tried to think more about staying in my hips and chest up at the bottom)

Bench
    95kg @4rep/3rep/3rep (shit was hard)

Light Deadlifts
    105kg 2x5 (used blocks just in front of the plates to be sure I was getting the bar back in the same place after each rep seemed to help keep consistent back setting, but the bar was coming away from my shins need to review the video by maybe starting with hips to high or leading with them)

starting strength coach development program
    I've missed a few entries but have still be training up until last week where I missed two session as I was working away.

24/07/18

SQ
    150kg @8/8/8 (due to the lack of training and that Its been pretty trying form wise I've reset 15kg and little under 10%)

Press
    73kg 4rep/3rep then 70kg 4rep (wanted more volume than I knew I was going to get on the last set)

DL
    150kg 1x5 @10 (got a in a good groove now while this did feel pretty maximal and I struggled with lockout on the last rep it still felt pretty good. Plus I'm pretty damn happy that its not below what I'm squatting just need to keep it up)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123