starting strength gym
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Young "master" novice log.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Too many hours of windshield time this week got me a bit stir-crazy. Today:

4 mile run, nice and slow (9 minute pace).

A good change of pace before my trip to Luke Barbell in Austin tomorrow.

Went to Luke's Barbell club today with my wife and got excellent hands-on coaching from two SSCs. Julie (my bride) worked with Joyce; I worked with Jarrod.

I've got new marching orders: after a look at the squat, I've got a few new cues for tightness, and will do progression from 275lbs, in 10 lb jumps, until I reach my previous weight (315) then resume NLP as normal, using the new cues.

The press we rebuilt from the ground up. I'll be resetting from 162 to 135 lbs to master the new cues, jumping up in 5lb increments until rep-failure, per prescription.

The bench, we ran out of time but did a set with the bar for a form check, and it looks like I had it pretty good: One tweak to make, no recommended deload.

Today then:

Squat, worked up to 275*5
    Press, worked up to 135*5
    Bench, 1*45

Back at progression work with new cues and loads Friday.

Testimonial for Luke's Barbell Club to follow, the short version: Outstanding.

Back to progression today, still on the road, El Paso this time. No video.

Squat: 275*5*3 with the new cues from the SSC. Felt good but different. Some lingering fatigue from yesterday's coaching session, but since I was prescribed a 40-lb deload I figured I could hack it, and did.

Bench: 252*5*3

Pendlay: 205*5*3, getting heavy. Microload time?

Pull-ups: 60*3*5, barely cranked out the last rep on last two sets. Travel blues, or other? We'll see when this trip is over.

Home at last!

Squat: 285x5x3 as prescribed by Jarrod Schaefer SSC out at Luke's Barbell in Austin. Had significant trouble locking in the newly acquired form cues. One problem solved, though: Was having the bar slide down my back a bit; some chalk on the bar fixed that.

Press: 135x5x3 as prescribed. I'm doing a more SS-compliant version of the press now. I have much to learn on this one. When it's right, it's really right. When it's not, gah. More to follow.

Deadlift: 365x5, no drama. During warmup though, I did singles up past my working weight, all the way to a lifetime 1RM PR: 407 lbs. Video at YouTube

I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit that my SS press form concerns me. The quitter in me wants to go back to strict-pressing. I'm working hard to suppress that son of an Amalekite.

I'd also be dishonest if I didn't admit that my SS squat form concerns me. I haven't found the "sweet spot" for my hands to create a tight platform set to set, yet, and don't at all feel like it's consistent.

All that aside, though, got a new DL PR to stick in the pocket, and I'll deal with the rest come Monday.

By golly that deadlift went right up. I think there is more in you. Great work.

Thanks, brother. I hope for 500 someday.

Today was week 4 day 1. The workout:

Squat, 295*5*3. Success! The back tightness and nipple-down-butt-back cue I got from Jarrod Schaefer SSC help a ton. All day the squat felt like butter. I was disappointed to see in video though that my heels are leaving the platform. I'll work that for sure. Video at YouTube

Bench: 255*5*3. Went well, and the Lord was with me. I forgot my microplates so I loaded heavier than prescribed, but it came up easy. No video.

Pendlay: 210*5*3. Challenging but comfortable

Pull-ups: 62.5 lbs, 3,3,3,2,2. This is my first rep failure on any exercise since starting SS NLP. In response to this, I'm going to start going every-other with Pendlay and pull-ups, and repeat 62.5 next go.

All in all, I'm pleased with progress.

Also, an announcement: I've acquainted myself better with Army Regulation 600-9, regarding bodyweight, and I'm less concerned about "blowing table" (weighing too much on the scale) than previous. At my age I'm allowed to carry more girth than Table Weight, provided I keep bodyfat percentage reasonable (below 28% I think). So: screw it, I'm eating, and have been.

BW: I'm up from 193.0 to 199.2 after 3.5 weeks so far.

Presses from tomorrow's workout today:

140*5*3. These felt great. Had more time to evaluate the advice given by Jarrod Schaefer SSC, and ended up choosing a grip about 0.75 inches wider on each side of the barbell. This small adjustment made loads of difference! I'm musch less discouraged about the press now. 140 flew into the air with the ptescribed hip-thrust-bounce.

Finished off the workout this morning.

Squats: 305x5x3. Felt really heavy; I didn't get breakfast until after the gym. I've got video showing that bar speed is quicker than it psychologically felt, though, so I'm not concerned. Just data to carry forward: Grab calories on the way out the door if you have to work out first thing.

Deadlifts: 370x5. Forgot the chalk, which compromised some other things. Learned by experience today that your mind really does try to tell you "if you can't grip this you can't lift it." Squeezed hard, got through, next time I'll remember chalk.

Onward!

Chalk is a beautiful thing. I'm surprised that you did so well without breakfast. Proteins and Carbs are essential before lifts.

Never give up in any event.

starting strength coach development program
    No doubt: Got two eggs and a bowl of cereal (with a cup and a half of whole milk on top of course) before I hit it this time.

Squat: 317x5x3. Did 317 though the program said 315; I wanted a 5-rep PR since I've been in deload country for a bit over a week now. Next is 320, then back to 5lb jumps for me like a good little boy. Annoyingly, my heels are lifting from the platform fractionally still. Also annoyingly, my knees are under less control than they should be. Video at YouTube

Bench: 257x5x3. Pushing this is challenging but not crushing. Biggest challenge is the eccentric -- noticing some lingering elbow pain in the lower biceps, and the eccentric loading of the bench press aggravates the pain. I've got two days of rest coming, though, so I'm not sweating it.

Pendlay: 215x5x3. Nothing of note to report.

Onward and upward!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast